wood pellet stove and underfloor heating

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
casalanis
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

wood pellet stove and underfloor heating

by casalanis » 04/11/07, 22:12

Bonjour,

I am looking for advice for the regulation of the edlikamin ecoidro stove-pellet stove in heating floor restitution.

I am in the south east of Vaucluse (alt 300 m) with a house being finished (heated floor installed, wires for any probes drawn in 4 rooms, and one outside). The insulation is composed of 20 cm monomur, with a 10 cm soft stone exterior lining, XNUMX cm sandwich panel type roofing of organic step foam at all, all laid on radiant floor. The house is entirely on one level.

More precisely, I wonder if I should install a mega regulator on the whole (outside sensor, regulating box actuating 3-way motorized valve + patches of flow sensor, return, room sensor ... see buffer tank ...). Because it starts to get expensive at the end!

Knowing that the stove regulates the water temperature (default temp 60 ° c), if I adjust a three-way valve once and for all when I start the installation, as well as the flow rates of each floor area this should work? (there will still be an overheating safety on the floor outlet)

To regulate the energy demand of the stove, I tell myself that if I connect a single room temperature sensor (coupled stove) judiciously, it should also go?

I come to this conclusion because, knowing that the heated floor has a brush inertia, that my monomur and my 20 cm of stones have a brush inertia. The indoor temperature should not drop in a few moments!
And suddenly the stove could react soon enough?

cold inertia against hot inertia .... by throwing pellets.

Thank you very much for your advice.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 05/11/07, 10:10

Hi and welcome here!

1) For your problem I have a little the same at the moment even with the difference that I want to connect (it is not done yet) on our heated floors (+ DHW) a wood boiler and not a pellet boiler.

I created a subject on this occasion where you will find a plan here:

https://www.econologie.com/forums/installati ... 94-10.html

2) The main difference between your future system and mine is that the pellet stoves have a variable power to a certain extent (forced air) and especially an automatic re-ignition, on our deom there is simply a thermostatic valve which varies (very roughly) the draft, hence the compulsory use of a "small" 300L buffer tank in our case.

On your assembly, it must have a plan "advised" supplied with the stove not? What does he protect? A tampon or not?

3) How is the EdilKamin regulated? Internal or external probe?

4) Regarding the 3 (or 4) way probe I have precisely the same concern, as it is the 1st winter that we spend in the house I could not answer you precisely, I just know that the regulation seems more or less HS ... and that the system works very well (underfloor heating with large solar buffer) in "fixed" position ... but it is surely because the temperature variations are very low.

In any case, the addition of a double wood exchanger buffer tank can be interesting (and the additional cost is not so important, you can find solar tanks at 1000 € ... especially at NON-approved installers) because it will allow you , if you wish, to add a solar system in addition in a few years ... because lighting a pellet stove in the middle of the living room in the middle of summer just to make DHW is not very "judicious "(I don't think you can put the stove on a 100% DHW position, do you?).

ps: an old saying, the simpler a system the longer it will last and the less likely it will mess up quickly ... so ...priority to simplicity...
0 x
casalanis
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by casalanis » 05/11/07, 23:48

Hello,
For your wood solution a balloon is irreparably obliged for the energy released by your wood boiler that is not very controllable (for my pellet stove it will be kif-kif I think .... because not so regulated as that ...)

For the recommended plan supplied with the stove, for a heated floor mounting: nothing !!!!!!!!!!!

The regulation (of the stove) according to the seller would be only: return temp same as start temp = decrease in power. So very vague. He doesn't even talk to me probe ...

The 4-way valve would be a solution to avoid cold return to the boiler (wood or pellet) and therefore avoid condensation on the exchangers, therefore corrosion.

How many photo-thermal panels do you have on your installation? and what size house?

On the other hand: yes you can put the pellet stove fully on your DHW, but hey the energy source is quite disproportionate compared to the DHW energy demand ....

For my instal I think it's going to end by flicking the on and off of the pellet stove (their 1 year guarantee frankly, I prefer to have an aperitif with my friend who likes to tease electronics, and that the walkthroughs will be more how say: digestible .......), connected to an ambient sensor. But I still keep my three-way valve with meticulous adjustment.

Watch out, you didn't send too much watt into your floor.
The thermal shock looks as present as for a lamb tagine, or a diesel engine if you prefer ....

PS: Not bad your adage

Just at our reflections the air will eventually warm up.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/11/07, 10:05

casalanis wrote:Hello,
For your wood solution a balloon is irreparably obliged for the energy released by your wood boiler that is not very controllable (for my pellet stove it will be kif-kif I think .... because not so regulated as that ...)

In this case, you can imagine doing exactly the same assembly as me: a solar tank mounted "upside down" ... using the DHW part as a buffer whose output (or input to see?) Is connected to the 3-way valve including 1 exchanger is used for DHW and another for future solar panels when the boiler is off ...

To test ... no pro problem wants to risk this kind of editing because too "original" ...

casalanis wrote:How many photo-thermal panels do you have on your installation? and what size house?

70m² for 170m² ... no photovoltaic, 100% thermal in self-construction (20 years ago).

casalanis wrote:On the other hand: yes you can put the pellet stove fully on your DHW, but hey the energy source is quite disproportionate compared to the DHW energy demand ....

Ok but the stove must still radiate and heat the room right?

casalanis wrote:Watch out, you didn't send too much watt into your floor. The thermal shock looks as present as for a lamb tagine, or a diesel engine if you prefer ....

Do not worry about that, they are already well established and then in case of overheating of the boiler (unlikely given its reduced power 15 kW) I planned a constant "unloading" of calories in the "large buffer" that 'we have for solar panels ...in fact there are 2 buffers (not present on the 1st diagram because I changed my mind afterwards): a "high T °" for the DHW direct use in the small buffer and a "low T °" for storage. ..

casalanis wrote:Just at our reflections the air will eventually warm up.

: Lol:
0 x
casalanis
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by casalanis » 06/11/07, 20:11

Ah yeah you are heavy actually : Shock: !!! 70 m2 of panels is already not bad, but do you store them or all these calories? Balloons must not be out of work ...

For the stove in DHW it is clear that it gives off radiation, like 3 KW at full load.

On the other hand I come back to the regulation of the heated floor: how do you precisely to lower the temperature in the circuit? Do you have a motorized or manual valve regulation? Or did you manage to do without it?

A little other schema available ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/11/07, 20:24

casalanis wrote:Ah yeah you are heavy actually : Shock: !!! 70 m2 of panels is already not bad, but do you store them or all these calories? Balloons must not be out of work ...

Well it's even heavier: we have a buffer "room" estimated at 65 L in the "cellar" ... so not chrome no but concrete that yes ... : Cheesy:

There are photos and some explanations on this subject:
https://www.econologie.com/forums/reportages ... 61-10.html

casalanis wrote:On the other hand I come back to the regulation of the heated floor: how do you precisely to lower the temperature in the circuit? Do you have a motorized or manual valve regulation? Or did you manage to do without it?

In fact if I understood correctly there are 2 separate regulations (tell me if I'm wrong):

a) ON / OFF control on thermostat: ignition of the PC circulator therefore the passage of water.
b) regulation of the motorized 4-way valve: adjusting the T °

There are also flow / pressure settings for each loop of the PC with 2 knobs but it's not really regu ca ...

Everything works for the moment with the regu a) saw that the b) is in a dirty state ... and especially that I have not yet understood how a PC regulation worked ... I looked a little on the net but nothing found ... the brand in question no longer exists :(

I'm going to make a scan or a photo of the regu in question ... maybe other members know how it is set? (there are 3 correction coefficients and 4 operating modes)

casalanis wrote:A little other schema available ...

Hu?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/11/07, 20:27

In fact we can see the regu on this photo, it is the black case with dial with red center (a timer apparently but HS):

0 x
casalanis
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by casalanis » 06/11/07, 22:28

yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, it's really mega heavy.

I heard about a guy (or legend ...) in my corner who made an installation ditto but with 20m3 of fleet reserve in a concrete tank which is already not bad, and apparently it happens to them heat up to 80 degrees at the end of summer, but hey it must be impressive too: watch out for the expansion of the concrete and iron in it.

By cons I can not help but warn you that living above such a quantity of fleet requires a lot of precaution in health, not necessarily that for me humidity, but also all that is radiation wave and company, but hey I know a little bit about it but advice from a geobiologist warns would be useful I think. For example, put all this fleet reserve on the ground, see in a geo node ...

For the floor heating regulator, the standard topo is: an outdoor sensor (to prevent the cold that arrives and start heating the floor (inertia)), a floor heating sensor, or even a circulator also, coupled to a regulation which controls a three or four-way motorized valve which is connected to an energy flow and to a tapping on the floor return in order to take the cold from the return to lower the temperature (in your case it is probably a four-way to return water not too cold either in your deom, otherwise condensation).

In addition in the regulation there may be a programmed heating curve depending on the energy source (power kw, type of reactivity ...) and also depending on your climate (sudden change in outside temperature, temperature extreme ...) and type of energy return (heated floor, radiator, heated wall, etc.). But hey I'm less sure because no more heating engineers around me understand this kind of thing, just the manufacturers of gear have their recipe.
0 x
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Christine » 08/11/07, 11:38

casalanis wrote:By cons I can not help but warn you that living above such a quantity of fleet requires a lot of precaution in health, not necessarily that for me humidity, but also all that is radiation wave and Company

Contrary to what one might think, the house is very healthy from this point of view. Perhaps it is due to the configuration of the room above (living room): large volume, bay windows, wood ...
0 x
cdslo
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by cdslo » 13/11/07, 20:38

Hello,

Regarding the regulation of the underfloor heating I can give you some info on my installation which works. I have a wooden frame house of 250m2 in the Haut Doubs and I heat with 1 pellet stove with hot water production, coupled with 1 heated floor for the Rch and 4 radiators for the basement.
The regulation of the water temperature for the underfloor heating is a simple thermostatic valve connected just after the circulator between the flow and return circuit. The stove then manages for the water temperature on its hot water circuit. The heat for the rooms is produced by the direct radiation from the stove (3KW) and the inertia is given by the underfloor heating.
0 x