Micro Turbine and tap water energy?

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
lrm
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Micro Turbine and tap water energy?

by lrm » 22/06/08, 19:40

Or rather in the water supply pipes, or in the gutters, why not also in the evacuation of runoff from sidewalks ...
(Hello everyone, let's not forget for the first message).
Even by opening just a thin trickle of water at your tap, trying to block it with your thumb is hard! There is still a lot of pressure, isn't there?
Can we imagine that a pipe contains one or more propellers or turbines I am not sure what to call them. And that they work like dynamos. This section of pipe being the + upstream possible so as not to multiply the apparatuses, by calculation of economy of scale.
If I am not mistaken it is about a potential of gravitation which one would exploit, the pressure is not produced not by machines which would consume themselves, that arriving only for stages too high as in the Montparnasse Tower right?
Same for gutters, for example by equipping them with a number of dynamos (blades?). It doesn't rain too often but good. Wastewater could do the trick too (and every day) but it can be a little dirty !!
Anyway.
I may be completely wrong but I have the impression that let's say a 20 apartment building can supply the total electrical consumption of an apartment with the water supply from this building.
With this estimate based just on "an impression", that would mean (only) 5% of a home's consumption is in its water supply pipes? Or more, or less ...
Qqn he already knows the existence or the feasibility or the nullity of this principle? I would only ask to spend hours myself with pleasure on this calculation but I lack a little too much time for that, so maybe here someone can tell me or do the profitability estimate very quickly pcq he used to handle these figures unlike me. Units of pressure, energy, losses, consumption in m², etc etc ...
Looking in Google it seems that there are similar things like in the first 2 links with "micro-turbines"?
http://www.google.fr/search?num=20&hl=f ... cher&meta=
0 x
alew
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by alew » 24/06/08, 12:21

I've already thought about doing this, but according to what you write, should you miniaturize a kind of dynamo? I don’t think it’s doable.

And imagine you have no more electricity, you waste water to light you?

Finally good for me I think that if it is feasible it is positive but it must not cause waste of water. After seeing the size of the pipes to get water into your tap I think it's impossible but below why not ...
0 x
Matt113
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Matt113 » 24/06/08, 12:39

There must be energy to recover but, in my opinion, not in sufficient quantity for it to be profitable.
And you have to do that to hinder the good circulation of water in the pipes.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/06/08, 12:49

I've been thinking about it for a long time, thank you for creating this topic it will help to clarify :)

a) For the gutters would need a really cheap system because the potential is still reduced. There are "invention" which recovers the energy of each droplet of rain with piezo elements but at what price ??

b) For the sewer it could be more interesting but ... very limited anyway see c)

c) How much energy is 1000L of water at 3 bars?
Answer: 1000 * 9,81 * 30 = 294 kJ

Or, in "gross potential" energy: 294/3600 = 0,08kWh of maximum recoverable energy per 1000L of water consumed at 3 bars...

In reality it is not 3 bars (much less) and the efficiency of the turbine must be taken into account.

In short we can still divide by 10 ...

Finally for private houses there is not much to expect, for pkoi buildings not as it is 100% free it may be possible ... to see the installation and maintenance costs.

I therefore remain skeptical ...

d) How much energy does pumping cost, in many regions there is pumping at the distributor. Water tower, does it serve that purpose?

ps: I doubt that the distributor appreciates that we touch on the "arrived" side of water.
Last edited by Christophe the 24 / 06 / 08, 12: 55, 1 edited once.
0 x
Matt113
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Matt113 » 24/06/08, 12:53

Strictly speaking, it can be profitable for the drainage systems of large cities where there are surely several thousand m³ passing per day.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/06/08, 12:57

Yes Matt energetically it is possibly possible but problem: it would evacuate less quickly ...

The goal of a drip network is to evacuate as quickly as possible ...

ps: I renamed the title
0 x
Matt113
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Matt113 » 24/06/08, 13:03

Yes that's what I said precisely in my message above. Do not obstruct the circulation of water.

In the worst case, a system which in the event of strong water flows stops or deviates and lets the water pass normally. But hey it becomes quibbling : Cheesy:
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 24/06/08, 13:25

Hello,
the famous trilobic turbine would not be possible for this application?

but is it only available and for how much?
0 x
alew
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by alew » 24/06/08, 13:28

In fact everything is possible but if it only creates a little energy it is useless ...

I think we should create a big water mill on the Seine;) what do you think?
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 24/06/08, 13:31

1) that little NRJ collected is enough if little NRJ is consumed

2) that few NRJ collected multiplied by full day and full systems = full NRJ

to think about: electricity, what for?

1 toaster 1 hair dryer 1 radiator worth all nuclear risks?
0 x