Returns Scroll Stop Automatic mode

Hydraulic, wind, geothermal, marine energy, biogas ...Hydro-electricity on the river, which regulator?

Renewables except electric or solar thermal (see sub-forums dedicated below): wind, marine energy, water and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal ...
Ga82
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Hydro-electricity on the river, which regulator?

Unread Messageby Ga82 » 23/06/09, 01:03

Hello everyone,
I'm interested in the different way to produce electricity for a while. Recently I own a cottage by the river. The cottage is currently supplied with electricity by a gasoline generator (installed by the former owner) that I want to remove. I first thought of a wind turbine but the terrain is very woody so I turned to hydropower. The river is very wide so the current little strong. That's why I looked for generators that were usable at low rpm I found 2 model the WindBlue DC-540 and FuturEnergy model. For the design I think I can manage. But electricity level I'm not at the top. I want 12 DC current v.

If I do an installation with batteries I understood that it needed a charge controller. The charge controller avoids overheating the batteries when they are full as I understand it.
But is it possible to use a charge controller like the one of the solar systems that cuts when the battery is charged or does it necessarily have one that became the current to resistances that heats as I could see on certain site?

Finally is it possible to do without batteries (as the river never stops flowing) knowing that I would just have a little light in the cottage and plug a radio type device on a converter 12v / 220v max?

merci
0 x

Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Unread Messageby Alain G » 23/06/09, 01:36

Ga82

Welcome to the Econology website! :D

The lack of data on the speed of the current and the lack of photos makes it difficult to answer you.

The width of the stream and the flow are very important to give you adequate information.

The regulators for the wind turbines or the solar panels are not really adapted for the hydroelectric, on the wind turbine the resistances serve to protect it from the over - rotation which causes the destruction of the blades, on the solar one it is useless to derive in resistances only if we want to use it to warm the water or a room.

It would be better to use 1 or 2 buffer batteries for future devices that can consume a lot over a short period of time or to compensate for any breakdown or maintenance.

On the first site (winblue) there is a modified auto alternator and use its original sound regulator as long as you find the right ratio / torque, I invite you to read this topic to understand that you can use a non alternator modified that will cost you a few euros to the case:

https://www.econologie.com/forums/construire ... t7815.html
:D
0 x
Ga82
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Unread Messageby Ga82 » 23/06/09, 12:04

Hello Alain G, thank you for your answer

I do not have photos for now. For the width and the flow I do not know too much: the river which is rather a river in fact it is the seine, the ground is in the Yvelines. The average flow is 563 m3⋅s-1, I thought put wooden boards to divert the maximum water to focus on the wheel as a kind of funnel. However I do not think to get a very strong current. That's why I need a generator requiring low turn minutes and a low torque.

On the link you gave me I saw that it was possible to multiply the voltage with the system of diodes; So just buy a car alternator to the breakage, then at each start make a simple touch of 1 or 2 seconds between the son of excitement and the positive battery, then even if the tower / min are low multiply the voltage with three transformer for the three phases or connecting 3 capacitors on diode bridges (voltage tripler).

Regarding the regulator, for me no problem of over-rotation, so no need for resistance.
But to avoid damaging the batteries (over-charging or over-discharging) the solar controller seemed the most suitable. can my alternator run in an open circuit without getting damaged?

for summary my tour:

generator ---> regulator - 1 -> batteries - 2 -> cottage electrical circuit (light, transformer12v / 220v)

When the battery is full, the controller switches off the 1 connection and when the battery is too low, the controller switches off the 2 connection.

merci
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Unread Messageby Alain G » 23/06/09, 13:24

Hello ga82

The dawn wheel float seems to be best suited for your project, the only small problem is for inking, but you can use a mast lying and set from the shore.

See this topic: https://www.econologie.com/forums/tambour-de ... t6303.html

can my alternator run in an open circuit without getting damaged?

The alternator can run in an open circuit without any problem.

generator ---> regulator - 1 -> batteries - 2 -> cottage electrical circuit (light, transformer12v / 220v)

When the battery is full, the controller switches off the 1 connection and when the battery is too low, the controller switches off the 2 connection.

Your deduction is good, you are on the right track.

Good luck for your achievement!

Alain
0 x
Ga82
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Unread Messageby Ga82 » 23/06/09, 14:58

So, this kind of regulator even if it is intended for solar panels may be suitable for my installation?
0 x

Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Unread Messageby Alain G » 23/06/09, 15:52

Ga82

Yes you can use it.
:D
0 x