How a small water mill that produces electricity?

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
louisemiches
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

How a small water mill that produces electricity?

by louisemiches » 30/03/08, 22:23

Hello,
I browse the internet in search of a map or some indications that would allow me and my children to make a small water mill connected to a dynamo to produce some electricity.

I found on your forum some topics on this subject, but these are large-scale projects, not at all my goal!

So I call on your science! if you could give me a link, or give me some leads ...

For more details on this project:

We have a torrent which borders our ground, with a rather strong flow and some beautiful falls (say between 50 cm and 1m20).
It is a holiday home where we do not have electricity. Very concretely, children would like to be able to recharge their Nintendo DS battery (and parents would be interested in recharging those of their mobile phones ...)!
Even if all this can be done by car or with a solar installation, making a water mill would be very exciting and would allow you to learn (or relearn, for my part ...) the basics of electricity.

I hope I posted in the right place, and that my message is not too "out of step" compared to the high technical level of your forum !
Sincerely,
0 x
vicacst
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by vicacst » 28/11/08, 19:12

I am also very interested in the construction of a water mill producing electricity (in model).
If you could help us in any way, thank you in advance.

For a future answer please watch post directly on this forum
or on:ptidaxter@hotmail.fr
0 x
gulhemch
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by gulhemch » 07/06/09, 11:25

Hello everyone,

I bring up this subject because I myself am looking for help with the construction of a water mill.
I am in first S so I have some notions of electricity.
The idea is actually to generate electricity using the river located a few meters from our cabin :) .
I am not trying to do something that would power a TV or other but I would need to operate a few lamps to be able to light the interior.
I already looked a little on the web, it seems that I can use an electric motor upside down but I find it hard to understand how, above all, how to do it.
Voili voilu I hope you can bring me some clarification and thank you in advance!

A+
0 x
Obelix
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Obelix » 07/06/09, 12:29

Hello,

To respond to your requests, we must first know some parameters of your waterways.
1) The flow! Or rather the speed of the water and the dimensions of the stream.
The speed is determined by measuring 10m along the stream, then we throw a piece of wood upstream of the start and we measure the time to travel these ten meters. (several times to make an average!) And in the center of the stream, not on an edge !!
The dimensions are measured. The width (easy!) And the depth (by getting a little wet!)
2) The greatest fall if there is one, or the sum of the falls at the place where you want to create your machine.

Once these parameters are known, we can estimate whether the game is worth the effort! If the construction leads to something useful, or if it will be a simple exercise .....

Waiting for your answers

Obelix
0 x
In medio stat virtus !!
gulhemch
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by gulhemch » 07/06/09, 12:33

Hi, thank you very much for your quick response :)
I'm going to go on the ground this afternoon to measure this.
However, I would like to know why is it necessary to have a waterfall?

A +!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/06/09, 12:38

Crazy this current motivation for water mills all of a sudden! It made the 3rd formal request in 1 week. Was there a media report or what? : Shock: Finally, all the better!

Then I will make the same answer as for the 2nd request: https://www.econologie.com/forums/projet-min ... t7728.html

Christophe wrote:Everything is possible if you have the potential of energy and a few thousand euros to invest (as well as authorization) or hundreds of euros if your need is low.

I myself have a similar project on fire (realization in short)

A similar subject was made a few days ago, start by reading it and answer (here) the questions and remarks that were made for the other case: https://www.econologie.com/forums/projet-min ... t7728.html

And I add directly the link to my current project:
https://www.econologie.com/forums/tambour-de ... t6303.html

Washing machine drums can make a good foundation for a small wheel!
Last edited by Christophe the 07 / 06 / 09, 12: 39, 1 edited once.
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 07/06/09, 12:38

Hello gulhemch

Possibly this can "simplify" the construction. A photo of the site will not be too much!
A+
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
gulhemch
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by gulhemch » 07/06/09, 12:43

Thank you very much for your answers, I will take some pictures and measure the flow this aprem but I can tell you that the river is already relatively big (several meters wide)
++
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/06/09, 12:50

If you have more flow than fall you are precisely in the same case as me, and you can therefore look at this in detail: https://www.econologie.com/forums/tambour-de ... t6303.html

0 x
david24
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by david24 » 16/10/09, 03:42

But I would like to know if we can produce electricity with at least a bowl filled with water with a mill?

Also, how to make electricity with electric wires, batteries and water

Goods.
0 x