How to make a voltage regulator for wind turbines

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
step
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

How to make a voltage regulator for wind turbines

by step » 05/03/08, 16:09

hi need help to make a voltage regulator for my wind turbine is a delco alternator that i put magnets it comes out of dc but i need a regulator it comes out around 40 ampere
I thought to use a computer power supply to be able to mount as a regulator is possible with motivation
please
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 05/03/08, 16:19

Step - to whom we welcome - wrote:

it is a delco alternator that i put magnets it comes out of the dc

we did not understand everything. especially that an alternator is often regulated by excitation.
what are you going to do with the current? charge a battery.
about how many revolutions / minute will it spin?
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
step
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by step » 05/03/08, 16:37

ok this is a delco alternator with magnet so it starts at 100 rpm and it produces 4 amps at 200 rpm and 40 amps at 850 rpm
I already put the diode so that it comes out of the DC and not the AC no need to excite
it starts on its own unlike an ordinary alternator
but the voltage goes up to 50 volts so I need a regulator so that it can recharge plom acid batteries
12 volt
excuse my faults
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 05/03/08, 17:25

yes! the problem is not simple: given the intensity and the difference in voltage, it is not possible to envisage a series regulation: one would devote 3/4 of the energy produced to heat the regulation transistors.
several parameters must also be considered: were these voltages measured when empty or under load?
it should be seen what already exists because it requires a rather complex study because many variables are taken into account, because the situation between the regime of a battery almost charged on a windy day is radically different from the situation of a battery discharged in weak wind.

I would rather turn to a switching power supply connected directly to AC on the alternator and a rectification just after that to a DC-DC regulation.
Anyone know anything?
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
loop
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by loop » 05/03/08, 18:54

Hello

The alternator is generally wound in three phase, whether with permanent magnets or with excitation
It is an advantage to transport the current in 3 wires of reasonable section and to rectify the current continuously just before use, with a bridge rectifier like this

For regulating the charge intensity, the battery plays a buffer role if it is correctly sized
The charge rate must be monitored, which should not generally exceed 10% of the battery capacity
With 40 A, you should charge a 400 Ah battery :!:
Using stored energy before full charge is also desirable

If not Step, could you send us a photo of your generator and the modifications made?

A+
0 x
step
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by step » 05/03/08, 21:49

here is some photo of my alternator it is a delco remi of general motor I put a 24volt stator and I reduced the rotor on a lathe to allow to put 14 magnet
the magnet comes from several starter delco general motor very powerful because each magnet can lift a hammer of 2 lbs easily, by turning the alternator by hand and by plugging in a light I managed to turn on the light on a tester the alternator produces 4 amps at 100 turns and 40 at 850 turns
I left the pond diode I removed the regulator, the trio diode and the brushes.
it is a three-phase stator
unfortunately I did not succeed in sending the photo fatal error
0 x
step
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by step » 05/03/08, 22:01

I already have a voltage regulator for my solar panels but the max is 7 amps and I need a minimum of 40 amps it should just cut the source I think when he sees that the batteries have reached a certain voltage, I had to think of a case computer power supply but with modification surely
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 06/03/08, 10:09

Hello,
for the wind turbine you need a "shunt regulator", ie when the battery is charged you must not switch off: the regulator of the solar panels is not suitable.
when the battery is charged, it is then necessary to unload the electricity produced: in heating resistors in hvier or fan in summer or triggering of a washing machine ...

I have a diagram of such a shunt regulator if you want, in 12 or 24 V ;-)

would you send us a diagram of the electrical modification of the alternator, please?
0 x
step
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by step » 06/03/08, 12:14

I have the photos but I did not manage to put them on the forum

here is error
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 36700160 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 13056 bytes) in /home/users2/c/cmfmaps/www/econologie.com/fichiers/partager/telecharger.php on line 129

if you have an email address i could send them to you
0 x
Obelix
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Obelix » 06/03/08, 12:51

Hello,

In the principle of a regulator for wind turbine:
The batteries are charged to a predetermined voltage (depending on the characteristics specific to the batteries) then the load is derived from a set of resistors absorbing the TOTAL power of the wind turbine until the voltage drops by 0.5 Volts.
We then reconnect the battery set and so on!

So in regulation we have a threshold detector with a hysteresis of 0.5 Volts ......

Obelix
0 x
In medio stat virtus !!