Wind generator

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
winewine
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Wind generator

by winewine » 17/03/10, 16:00

Hello,

I have a project (as part of my studies) to build a vertical axis wind turbine of about 1kW. I would like to know what type of generator is best suited, I have a brushless dc motor available, can that be ok?

thank you in advance for your help
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 17/03/10, 16:38

it can do yes.
Keep us posted, I have in my boxes the same kind of project with a brushless recup motor.
0 x
Obelix
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Obelix » 17/03/10, 16:54

Hello,

For a vertical wind turbine the crucial point is the rotation speed at nominal power.
Any brusshless DC motor is good provided that its nominal speed of rotation is low to very low.
Low => 500 rpm
Very low => 100 rpm

Obelix
0 x
In medio stat virtus !!
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 17/03/10, 17:12

Welcome to Vinvin Econology!

What type of brushless motor you have because many cannot be used as a generator, plus 1 kW for a brushless is very rare! No?
:D
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.
Criticism is good if added to some compliments.
Alain
winewine
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by winewine » 17/03/10, 17:52

Welcome to Vinvin Econology!

merci!

I don't know too much about the engine available to us. It was the father of one of my project colleagues who said he had one. Alain, what would make it unable to be a generator?
Otherwise you think it is not bad a brushless or there is better (we will be sponsored so we may be able to buy a more suitable one)?
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 17/03/10, 18:20

As I have seen, all small wind turbines of less than 1kW are based on brushless motors, or in any case generators which are learned to be brusless motors.

I can't tell you too much if this is the best, but it seems to me among the most effective solutions anyway.
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 17/03/10, 18:50

winewine

I forgot to mention DC brushless motors without magnets!

These motors are usually stepper motors and are rarely able to supply 1 kW!

Forthorse

Small wind turbines have Brushless AC motors
:D
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.

Criticism is good if added to some compliments.

Alain
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 17/03/10, 19:30

Before thinking of using a recovery engine, you must know what it was used for and at least its characteristics (with the usual one can know it by looking at it on photos with a decimeter to know its dimensions).
Otherwise you go blind and the result will be bad or even zero.
A stepper motor is not reversible and is unusable: it is found in printers and servo mechanisms and they often have a nice collection of wires, their axis is very hard to turn with positions by steps fixed by static magnets .
The usable motor must be easy to turn, and give a measurable voltage (direct or alternating if brushless "brushless") by rotating at a few revolutions per second, with a voltmeter or millivoltmeter.
Its size fixes its power, the KW exceeds ten centimeters.
You can rotate it with an alternating current (brushless) to know its speed (5V, then 12V OR 220V if necessary but it may burn out if you do not put a resistor in series!)
A stepping motor (typical brushless) will not rotate with the current (often at 5V) and at best will move with an imperceptible step, because it is necessary to alternate the current between its different windings step by step!)
Finally, if the engine is too fast, you can mount a gear system or belt or chain to adapt the speed of the slow wind turbine to that of the engine as for the chain on a bicycle that adapts the pedaling speed of the crankset to that more rear wheel fast.
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 17/03/10, 19:57

Yeah, you should already know what you mean by brushless.
In English "brushless" it means "brushless" which means that a lot of motor can fall into this category.

In French, a brushless motor designates a very specific type of motor, namely a polyphase synchronous motor (often three-phase in servomotors used in industry) whose rotor is a permanent magnet.
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brushless

In recent years they are also increasingly used in modeling, and more particularly in aviation because of their high power for a weight and reduced footprint.
http://www.conrad.fr/moteurs_brushless_ ... 9425_39905
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

to know how to run the engine

by dedeleco » 17/03/10, 21:24

These model aircraft engines need a regulator
http://www.conrad.fr/controleur_brushle ... 434_488998
that deliver tension at the right time.
It is not intended to use them as an electric generator.
You can try it by forcing it to rotate quickly and measuring the voltage and current delivered alternately on each winding to measure the actual performance.
There is a big risk that the alternating voltage is not alternating but in the form of short pulses oscillating once per revolution of the motor and therefore not very usable without another regulator to build, not found in the trade!
To measure well you need an oscilloscope!
These engines are designed for various uses: fast or slow stepping aircraft but very high torque.
For a wind turbine you need a fairly slow rotation speed but not step by step where the torque is too strong and blocks the wind turbine, in my opinion.
0 x