Compatibility underfloor heating and wood flooring

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Winkelmüller
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Compatibility underfloor heating and wood flooring

by Winkelmüller » 29/12/08, 10:09

Can we install underfloor heating on a wooden floor?
Thank you
0 x
cunseulair
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by cunseulair » 29/12/08, 14:22

Quite possible, there are materials specially designed for installing "dry" underfloor heating (without concrete). It is an insulator lined with a metal foil at the top to ensure the lateral diffusion of the heat in which the heating pipes are clipped. On top you put two layers of FERMACELL of 13 mm glued and crossed and your coating on top. There is less inertia than a traditional concrete screed but it is much less heavy and easier to implement.
0 x
The future is not in the rearview mirror
Winkelmüller
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Winkelmüller » 30/12/08, 09:31

So if I understand correctly we do not need a concrete screed even light. But why do we remove it because of its weight or because it risks cracking (wooden floor that works and therefore moves)?
Another question, we would like to end up with a wooden parquet, there again we lose inertia with regard to the tiling, isn't that a lot of heat loss? Is it still interesting to put a heated floor?
Thank you
0 x
cunseulair
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by cunseulair » 31/12/08, 13:52

The reasons for choosing between the two techniques are of several levels:
-the structure, floor and wall beams in the case of timber construction, can withstand an overload of 100 kg / m² (concrete screed)
- the ease of implementation of a dry system by a non-professional or if we are on the third floor
- a concrete screed is several hundred liters of water that is introduced into the house and which will have to be evacuated, less serious in construction than in renovation
-question cost the concrete screed is cheaper.

This is the main reason that made me opt for a concrete screed on a wooden floor in several rooms.
To detail I started with beams of 100 / 220 and 5m of span, planks of 25mm above which act as a ceiling and which supports insulation in dense wood fiber of 40mm, rain shield, laying heating pipes on wire mesh , concrete screed and coating. Tiles, lino in clip-on slab and glued solid parquet, no notable differences in heating between the three. To avoid the risk of cracks, the screed must be really floating, i.e. insulated from any fixed point by an expansion joint.
0 x
The future is not in the rearview mirror