Can we build a wind turbine bike battery?

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Iubito
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Can we build a wind turbine bike battery?

by Iubito » 30/11/07, 16:28

Hello,
I want to buy or make a small wind turbine to recharge a large battery.

The battery is used for the electric assistance of my bike, and therefore the wind turbine must be transportable (for example on the luggage rack) so not too heavy (1kg maxi) and not too big (15-20cm max diameter) .

The battery delivers nominal 24V (28.4 max), 8,5A, or 204Wh.
By pumping fully on the battery, I empty it in 2-3 hours, it all depends on the terrain. By managing the energy (assistance when needed, downhill generation and braking), I managed to last 6-7 hours.

All wind turbines require a minimum wind speed to turn, but they are fixed. As it will be on a bike, I will have no trouble reaching 5m / s (= 18km / h) or more.

I think the wind turbine would be vertical, in order to capture the wind coming from all sides and the rear. The wind that will pick up the least is the front wind because the wind turbine is behind me.
Or I can put it on the front of the bike, to take advantage of the maximum wind generated by the speed, but this is imperative, no more than 14 cm in diameter!

I thought of a dynamo all con on a wheel, but a dynamo that makes a brake, while the wind turbine should not slow me down, if not a little weight. I am wrong ?

What can we expect with computer fans (several stacked) and one (or more?) Dynamo (s)?
Are there transportable mini wind turbines that could do the trick?
Or should we drop and look at the solar (foldable panels, but expensive!)

Thank you in advance for your clarification
0 x
loop
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by loop » 30/11/07, 18:13

Hi iubito

You are deluding yourself by thinking that by moving a wind turbine, the relative wind created will allow you to generate enough electrical energy to move it forward
What you are aiming for is called over-unity, and no one has yet managed to achieve it in this area
In addition, on the power side, 250 W is the production of a 2m diameter wind turbine with a wind of 30 km / h
I do not explain the brake it represents

However, recharging your VAE batteries with renewable energy is a good idea
Before thinking about wind or solar, you could perhaps consider pedaling on a generator home trainer that would recharge your battery
Remember that some batteries require a specific charge cycle to avoid damaging them

Good reflection

A+
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/11/07, 18:23

loop wrote:However, recharging your VAE batteries with renewable energy is a good idea
Before thinking about wind or solar, you could perhaps consider pedaling on a generator home trainer that would recharge your battery

Or using a small solar panel but the gain in terms of autonomy would only be around 10% ... well, it's better than nothing ...
0 x
Iubito
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Iubito » 30/11/07, 18:31

anyway it is to increase autonomy a little bit.

Already, I recover the energy under braking, or I put engine brake in the big slopes.

But I'm curious about what you can get with a mini wind turbine, compared to a dynamo on a wheel that slows down by friction.
0 x
loop
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by loop » 30/11/07, 18:46

Iubito

For photovoltaic solar, do not expect miracles
The return is low and the return on investment, compared to our nuclear KW EF, is not obvious
Without denigrating this form of energy, it is still necessary to put things in focus, the econological interest of photovoltaics remains to be demonstrated
For the power produced, it's about 100w per m2 ... if there is enough light

A+
0 x
neuzy182
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by neuzy182 » 14/03/11, 13:20

Anything new for your electric bike empowerment project?

Tests?

It's worth what it's worth, but I've seen this go by:
toutallantvert.com/hymini-kit-de-fixation-velo-pour-charcheur-eolien-p-1835.html

coupled with this:
https://www.econologie.com/forums/mottrix-ki ... t7691.html

Why not ... Let's not forget that the bike, at the base works thanks to the action of the legs ... :)
0 x
Iubito
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Iubito » 14/03/11, 14:02

wow there, water has flowed under the bridge since ... and electrons too!

so... :
- no wind turbine
- I changed the kit for more efficient and longer autonomy, before it was 250W nominal, now it's 700-800W, before it was 208Wh, now 1000Wh.
- More powerful kit = very secure regen braking with loading. On a flat circuit, 120km without solar charge.
- I put a 100 x 50cm solar panel (6.5kg + support tubes), in A300 cells, advertised yield 20-21%, about 75W in full sun and cagnard, already reached the peak 100W in sunshine + cloudy weather of brightness.
- the panel is on my head, so makes the shade, it's tip-top. It remains to redo the support better and lower. (I specify it is a tricycle, so stability ok)
- I recover around 500Wh in one day of travel. With my 208Wh battery kit, I did 2 refills during the day, but the kit being weak, I had trouble exceeding 100km while being loaded (small trailer).
- with my new kit, I only do a half full solar during the day, and I do 120km in 6 hours in very average weather with lighter loading, by big beautiful I think reaching 150km.
- I built a big trailer, there it leads to autonomy, 90km with the sign, 70 without.
- I intend to buy 700Wh of +, and I will equip this trailer with a light panel (2kg) and a small engine so as not to put all the work on the "tractor". Autonomy desired with all the gear: 150km, without the gear: 200km.

on this picasa gallery
you can see my trike, this is the one where the panel is not horizontal :P

The energy efficiency is not there: more gray energy consumed for the realization and the transport of the panel than energy sent in my batteries.
The financial return either: I have not yet put 500 € of EDF in my batteries. (500 € = 3 years of electricity for my apartment ...)
But autonomy ++ and that's what counts!
Soon, the panel will be permanently on the bike (I will have a garage) so zero nuclear recharge except evening at the camping stage if necessary during my trips.

Voili, voilou ...
0 x
neuzy182
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by neuzy182 » 14/03/11, 14:13

Ok, we can see the whole bazaar a little better ... !!! (Even if non-horizontal panels, there are not many!)

But I have a question, is it electrical assistance? or an independent motor? Do you still have to pedal? Don't we know how to use the pedals to recharge the battery too? Coupling that with wind turbines?

How did you manage to recover the braking energy? Are there ready-made kits, or do we have to do everything ourselves?
0 x
Iubito
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Iubito » 14/03/11, 14:32

my kit we do not have to pedal (it was used 2-3 times when pb chain ...), but hard to prevent it.
Other trikes really have the assistance obliged to pedal, and my first kit was like that.

my panel not horizontal, is especially badly oriented for aerodynamics :P
At the solar event there were flexible panels, or on a rounded shell like the thou of the tandem.
The energy production on the crankset, in this case we do not have enough energy for the chain, and it does not rotate fast enough.
There is a delirium on a fitness car, where the bottom bracket charges a battery, and the propulsion is entirely electric, but conso ++ I imagine, I do not believe that there are some who have mounted it.

My kit goes at 30km / h max, and if I don't pedal it naturally caps around 25. With an almost identical engine, some have kits that run at 50. And doubling the tension, a madman reached 95km / h on circuit.
0 x
neuzy182
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by neuzy182 » 14/03/11, 16:11

I don't know anything about electricity at all (but I understand and learn quickly!)
If we have a battery that will be used to power a 24V 250W motor, is it possible to recharge this battery with a wind turbine that produces 5V?

My goal is to ride a bike, to have assistance that recharges as we pedal (if it is empty, no problem, we pedal while it recharges ...?)

I have the impression that this is something possible, but at the same time seeing that those who try to arrive at having solutions comparable to yours, I ask myself questions ...
The pragmatic question is: How long will it take me to charge the battery?

And we must see if it is not wise to couple the recovery of braking energy, a PV panel and a wind turbine ...

In your opinion? :)
0 x

Back to "hydraulic, wind, geothermal, marine energy, biogas ..."