Wind turbine blades: one more question!

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Wind turbine blades: one more question!

by Grelinette » 10/03/10, 22:19

I made myself a 5 pale wind turbine like this:
It turns very well.

In general wind turbines have this pale type (narrower towards the middle and wider towards the end):

Having made tests with these 2 pale profiles, in both cases they turn out well, but according to their profile what are the fundamental differences and for what uses?
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 11/03/10, 01:29

Hi Grelinette!

The narrow blades on the end have a poorer performance in weak wind but can turn faster in strong wind!

The large blades on the end have a better performance in weak wind but cannot turn very quickly because there is a restriction at the end of the blades!
:D
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.
Criticism is good if added to some compliments.
Alain
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bernardd » 11/03/10, 08:07

Hello,

For wing tip problems, it would be interesting to keep the blades wide for the weak wind, and to test this invention. Minix : it organizes the wing tip vortex and would have increased the efficiency of a wind turbine by 14% according to tests done, but without specifying the type of wind turbine.

It seems that these tests were done with the old version without entry bulb, which did not respect the law of the areas.

When we see the wing tip / blade vortices and we know their energy consumption, this saving effect would be logical.

By the way, do you have this beautiful photo ?

We can also increase the efficiency of the wind turbine by putting it downwind of an obstacle for the most common direction:
http://technologies-propres.blogspot.com/2009/06/eolien-30-de-rendement-en-grace-un.html
0 x
See you soon !
Former Oceano

by Former Oceano » 11/03/10, 13:56

Hey Grelinette!
Did the cold freeze your brain?
Put a topic on wind turbines in the under forum water treatment ...
Come on, I'm putting this in renewable energy.

By the way, we have a lot of Mistral here, it is likely that your profile will be better suited than a wide-ended wind turbine.
0 x
[MODO Mode = ON]
Zieuter but do not think less ...
Peugeot Ion (VE), KIA Optime PHEV, VAE, no electric motorcycle yet...
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 11/03/10, 21:02

Damn I didn't even see it was the forum water treatment! Sorry.

In any case thank you for your answers especially as some give original and interesting information that I discovered: vortex effect at the end of the blades and ground system of wind amplification. (thank you bernardd).

Here, since we are in innovation, the remarks made lead me to think that a mechanical system for transforming the profile of the blades of a wind turbine according to the wind speed seems fairly easy to design and could be interesting:

at low wind, therefore at low rotation of the wind turbine, the blades are wide at the end to be more sensitive, and the more the wind accelerates the more the blades thicken towards the center and become thinner at their end.

With a system using centrifugal force to slide 2 blades on the other to reverse the profile.
Schematically a system of this type:

What do you think ?

Do you have any ideas on the mechanism to use to modify the profile with the speed of rotation?
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"