Request for air / water advice for ceiling heating system?

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
n
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Request for air / water advice for ceiling heating system?

by n » 22/02/09, 11:13

Hello everyone,
I discovered your site and I learned a lot of things
I would like to put an air / water heating system for an old house of 100M2 with for later an extension up to 180 m2.

I have a ceiling height of 3m, the floor is already tiled, that's why I want to put the heating under the ceiling,
I don't know much,
is it easy or difficult to implement?
is it as efficient as a conventional heated floor?
what brand could you advise me?
best qualities etc ...
I live in Marseille, so a reversible heat pump ..

what budget, roughly speaking, could i count?
I'm barely starting my research ..

thank you for all your help
a +
0 x
PITMIX
Pantone engine Researcher

by PITMIX » 22/02/09, 12:05

Hello
The idea of ​​ceiling heating is not necessarily the best because heat goes up and cold goes down.
It's well known !
So that means that the emissivity of your ceiling will be worse than if it were a heated floor.
Clearly you will need more power to heat your house than if you used a heated floor.
Now as the name suggests with a radiant ceiling you should have a feeling of soft and pleasant warmth.
Hopefully the convective flow is not too great because otherwise you will have the very unpleasant feeling of having cold feet and a warm head.
Here is the idea of ​​the heated ceiling is to be considered as the idea of ​​the refreshing floor "not really ideal.
0 x
n
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by n » 22/02/09, 14:17

thank you PITMIX for your help
So if I understand correctly, if I opt for a heated ceiling, it must be radiant and therefore electric. The consumption will be greater then ...

I wanted to opt for a water heater with a kind of coil as for the floor with a heat pump outside to save on my electricity bill ...

so now I don't know what to think ...
thanks again
a +
0 x
PITMIX

by PITMIX » 22/02/09, 20:13

No !! What I meant to say is that a heated ceiling is called a radiant ceiling. A radiant ceiling is not necessarily electric.
Radiant does not mean electric !!! It is simply that it heats mainly by radiation.
You will have a radiant water ceiling. A cast iron radiator with water passing inside is radiant.
The sun heats up by radiation.
A "toaster" type electric heater is called a convector because it heats mainly by convection.

In your case the radiant ceiling seems to be a very interesting choice since you will not have radiators appearing and you will not touch your floor.

I just wanted to make you understand that the radiant ceiling is not as effective as a heated floor.
In the same way that a cooling floor is not as effective as a cooling ceiling. It's just a story of physics, the heat goes up and the cold goes down.
Question pricec I do not know but it is a heavy investment all the same.
0 x
n
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by n » 22/02/09, 22:34

ok thank you for your explanations
in fact it is the same system as a floor heating except for the ceiling, that is to say that we could take the same type of material.
I have a friend who has underfloor heating, so a water hose and an outdoor heat pump with a 100L buffer tank,
I could take the same material and place it on the ceiling?

It is true that the investment has to be counted, it is not given, otherwise what heating will it take?

thanks again
a +
0 x
PITMIX

by PITMIX » 23/02/09, 19:26

Uh !! find out well about the type of material. There is radiant placo but it is for an electrical application.
The risk is cracks at the joints between the plates. Special coatings and fiber tapes are required.
To tell you the truth, I even saw a guy replace the radiators with PE tube that he ran in a serpentine in the walls.
Result it has heated walls. It's not stupid but you must not nail a picture on the wall, otherwise : Cry:

Otherwise for the rest it is the same principle as a heated floor.
You will certainly need to select a heat pump a little more powerful than if it were a heated floor. But the water does not exceed 35 ° C anyway.
You can also make a false ceiling in classic placo and integrate ducts and air vents.
In your attic you will have condenser type batteries (hot air) with ventilation that will blow in your ducts.

In a way it is like a VMC except that you will have a heat pump which will heat the ventilated air.
Also think of solar. In your corner there is no shortage.
You will have a great boost if you put a sufficiently large buffer tank. The best thing would be to store the heat in summer and restore it in winter. But there it is more a balloon it is a swimming pool that is necessary.

Don't you have a fireplace?
With me the insert is enough to heat the house.
I just need to have a robot that lights the fire an hour before I get there. :P
It would be great a burner built into the fireplace !!
I saw that in NCIS : Cheesy:
0 x
n
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by n » 23/02/09, 22:41

thank you for your contribution !!
go think about all this ..
a +
0 x