Pads and wood granules (pellets). business creation?

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
jojo30
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Pads and wood granules (pellets). business creation?

by jojo30 » 02/12/08, 12:42

Do you think it is still possible to create a small business recycling wood packaging (mainly used pallets), and all objects in clean wood, to turn into platelets and pellets? (see even briquettes)?
Who to approach to check its level of viability?

Kind regards.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 02/12/08, 18:44

The question is complex because the answer is necessarily a function of several factors, general factors and local (difficult to apprehend them, you suspect!).

If you say: recovery of used pallets in platelets, pellets and briquettes, clearly my answer is no.

These productions are different, require specific materials and therefore large investments, little in relation to a market already saturated for certain products such as granules. In these highly capital-intensive and low-profit activities, caution must remain in place (the current situation shows this well).

The production of platelets is conceivable, on the precondition of finding an outlet (= contract) nearby (it is a little the problem of the egg and the chicken, producing platelets will probably induce new users, but it is necessary hold financially during this indefinite time).

The positive side is that this type of wafer is very competitive compared to the woodchip.

The chamber of commerce or trades in your area may be able to inform you about the viability of your business; they also have the opportunity to do a market study.
On this last point, several remarks: this study can certainly help to identify important elements to take into account, but you can probably estimate them yourself, with a little common sense, time and by asking questions to people competent. Otherwise the price of this work will be your first bill : Cry: !
Another advantage of this personal work is that it will get you used to making choices, which you will have to do then permanently if you throw yourself (do not do like General Motors and its 4X4!).

Moreover, even the most knowledgeable advisers ignore the future, and if some market research has been judicious, there are quite a few examples of condemned products that have been "a hit", and vice versa.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
greg
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by greg » 03/12/08, 20:39

with us, in the lot the answer is clearly not for the paddle pallet! Indeed, the sysctom (waste treatment syndicate) recovers everything and feeds the heat networks that it puts itself in place.
by cons I think the forest chips has, I believe, a great future because, to) ujours home, the annual demand will be around for 9000t while the pallets do provide that 3000t.
you can find out from local energy agencies (ademe ...) communities and heavy users of heat
greg
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 03/12/08, 21:05

Second part!
In my previous post, I briefly talked about means and opportunities.

The other side of things is the business side and the competition. It is obviously essential to indulge in an inventory.
But that's not the tricky point: let's admit that the place is free, that the other parameters are potentially favorable, is that enough to succeed?

It's not so sure, for a simple reason, it seems to me from what you say: "small business" and asking this forum and not a consulting firm, that your financial means are limited.
So let's do a little prospective: you throw, your product begins to sell well, you seriously considering getting a cigar and a topper, you're not yet thinking about an IPO but it works well.

And there, damned !, a greenish subsidiary of a large group sets up in the area, posts prices lower than yours, rounds up your customers and silences your phone. You are "made" like a rat, game over...

It remains to understand why: the commercial animal is territorial, in your area where there was nothing to put in the tooth, no predator ... at least, not visible, because lurking in the shade it monitors, waiting patiently that you make the country game-filled; as soon as he feels that the provender is the measure of his appetite, he appears and starves the one who has filled the pantry without even a thank you!
As soon as it is clear, it increases its rates to reap the benefits. This is what is called, since the good Jean de la Fontaine, pull the chestnuts from the fire.

It was a little lesson in liberal economics for those who believe in "free and undistorted competition".

That said, all that precedes is not to discourage you, there are some exceptions to this scenario, but so that you correctly evaluate the stake of your project.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
esgege
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by esgege » 03/12/08, 21:40

Hello,

By cons you can consider the thing from the other end,
You sell and put pellet stoves (pellets).

In Switzerland we have a very big market.

Obviously when the price of fuel oil goes up, business too!

Currently it is down, but it is probably better for recovery ...
0 x
Let us say and do well
Did67

Re: Wood chips and pellets (pellets). Company creation

by Did67 » 05/12/08, 11:46

jojo30 wrote:Do you think it is still possible to create a small business recycling wood packaging (mainly used pallets), and all objects in clean wood, to turn into platelets and pellets? (see even briquettes)?
Who to approach to check its level of viability?

Kind regards.

Consumers of pellets have an "ecological" fiber. He is suspicious of recycled pallets like the plague:

1) because of possible treatments
2) because of residues of cloves, claws that are found in the ashes ...
3) the most stringent standards (Din +) have requirements on the origin of the material ...

I have a pellet boiler and forum en forum, I recommend using only standardized pellets and certified : the majority of the troubles I read are related to the quality of the pellets (not to mention what is not visible: emissions) ...
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 05/12/08, 13:10

Burn wood, pellets or not, it rejects lots of CO2, soot and volatile organic compounds ...

For the absolute atmospheric cleanliness, there is the electricity (80% nuke in France), or to curl the loaves : Cheesy:
0 x
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 05/12/08, 14:12

Hold, a project that is born at Etampes in the 91

extract from my feasibility report

"The mix of fuels as different as wood and gas requires a double installation and a significant additional cost.
In this case, the installation of a boiler using "renewable" energy to wood or vegetable oil with a power of about 100KW will be installed together with a gas boiler of the same power

The additional cost with regard to an installation supplied only with gas will be of the order of + 50% to be balanced with assistance from the region and / or ADEME "

"On the other hand, a regular intervention on the boiler must be planned for the emptying of the ash container to be provided several times a month during the heating season, the volume of ash represents around 5% of the volume of fuel burned. automatic ash extraction can be offered as an option)

An alternative to wood pellets today, can be used with major brands of wood pellet boilers designed with moving floor fireplaces (Gunter brand for example); this new type of granule named Agro Pellet is made from locally available plant raw materials.
Its undeniable advantage is undoubtedly its annual renewal rate unlike wood whose rate will be greater than 20ans. This granulate ensures a good quality combustion without trace of clinker or acidic vapors and has a higher energy balance than wood pellets.
This new TOTALLY RENEWABLE energy source consists of an assembly consisting solely of plant co-products. The concept makes it possible to valorize all kinds of plant residues according to the locality: Broken seeds, silo sorting gaps, non-exploited vegetable matter. This source of material represents today 4000Tonnes annual in the region of Etampes (1% of cereal production)

The agricultural cooperative of Ile de France Sud located in the industrial area of ​​Morigny offers this die early 2009, and will be able to distribute in a first time more than 500Tonnes and ultimately 2500Tonnes annual high quality granules compounds, for 60 % of cereal products, 10% oilcake, 20 / 30% oak and beech lumber from sawmills and chips and a mineral catalyst to remove clinker and acid fumes;

These new type of pellets can be stored in the same silos as the grains, thus allowing the cooperative to ensure a guaranteed stock of 6 months of combustible material at a lower price than wood pellets and at a cost 2 times lower. than domestic fuel. "

"CONCLUSION:

With a heavy weighting of the greenhouse effect, all woodfuels are better than heating oil by a factor of three to four. The choice and the argumentation will be proposed to the delivery of the Avant Projet Sommaire.

However, whether the fuel chosen is pellet or vegetable oil, these fuels can produce many other pollutants such as NOx, particles, VOCs (volatile organic compounds) and CO; care must be taken in the choice of material concerning the quality of combustion. "

The producers of Pellet's production line are TOY and PROMILL STOLZ

see Image

doc here: https://www.econologie.info/share/partag ... oQ6HFN.pdf
0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
OUCH, OUILLE, OUCH, AAHH! ^ _ ^
Did67

by Did67 » 05/12/08, 16:09

Remundo wrote:Burn wood, pellets or not, it rejects lots of CO2, soot and volatile organic compounds ...

CO², no: we are "neutral", except for about 10% of "gray oil" (this 10% varies mainly according to the nature of the energy used to dry the sawdust and the transport distances). "Modern" pellet factories operate with cogeneration, using waste (bark, poor quality sawdust, etc.).

You have been warned! : the difference of other emissions (especially volatile organic compounds) between wood and shredded wood on one side and pellets on the other is enormous. Especially if the wood is wet. Ditto for shredded wood. All deliveries we receive are wet (20% minimum, up to 30 / 35%). No regulatory standard (but can be defined in a market - when you are on major facilities, with contracting). And when it comes to emission rates, it's not double. It varies from simple to 50 or 100 times more!

Reassure yourself: it's the same for logs and there are I believe a few million homes in France. If we replaced with shredded wood boilers, it would remain stable. But if we replaced with pellet boilers, there would be a considerable reduction in pollution ...

I am not saying to go nuclear. But it's not kif kif, as you seem to say. Far from there.

Not everything that is renewable is necessarily "good" ...

This is why I prefer pellets ... except medium / large capacity (collective boiler) where the flue gas treatment facilities become technically possible and financially acceptable!
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 05/12/08, 16:26

Hehe, Did ...

You like to nuance ... Burn wood, it rejects CO2. I do not advise to oxygenate the head in the fireplace : Idea:

No need to take out the carbon footprint of the wood, everyone knows it: almost "zero CO2 emissions" as long as you don't have fun lugging it around 300 km or treating it in gas factories...

For VOC releases, it is kifkif that we have pellet or shredded wood.

The pellet has the advantage of making less soot, clinker and more generally waste ... But it is sawdust at the base, competition a little disloyal for the shredded wood that is taken directly in the nature in quantity much bigger.

Moreover, since you like to talk about carbon footprint, you will make me the pellets compared to wood chips or logs, we risk laughing. : Cheesy:
0 x