Superconductors in the automotive industry

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
laurenzo441
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Superconductors in the automotive industry

by laurenzo441 » 20/02/08, 23:19

Good morning all. I will have a question to ask when the oil exceeds 100 € per barrel. I have been interested in energies for a long time and I have learned what superconductors are.

This technology seems promising and could solve the biggest problem of electric cars "autonomy and dependence on nuclear".

I am looking for documents on studies on the subject. Is the energy balance good? An overpowered and energy efficient electric motor? I am a taker.

There are superconducting accumulators. Where are we now?

I invite you to discuss it and all the docs will be welcome.
0 x
the lobbies died.
Christophe

by Christophe » 20/02/08, 23:23

The balance sheet of superconductors is not good because they do not yet exist at room temperature.

However, in the USA there is already a company that makes cryogenic cables for superconductors so it must still be profitable.

For your question I do not know more but the barrel is far from being at 100 € ... it is closer to 65 € currently ... Yep the $ continues its fall, which easily explains the increase in oil exclusively quoted in $
0 x
laurenzo441
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by laurenzo441 » 20/02/08, 23:44

Thank you. But the system is precisely based on a very low temperature. About - 150 °.

It can also be used for generators in power plants because an HTS wire generates a very strong magnetic field. : Idea:
0 x
the lobbies died.
Christophe

by Christophe » 21/02/08, 00:00

Yes but on a car it's not for tomorrow ... because cold is not free ... it's even more expensive than hot ...
0 x
laurenzo441
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by laurenzo441 » 21/02/08, 14:46

I believe that for the perfect car from an ecological point of view we are in trouble. : Evil:
0 x
the lobbies died.
Remundo

by Remundo » 21/02/08, 15:24

Hello everybody,

Be careful, do not confuse a superconductor and a source of energy ...

Besides, in practice, it is very expensive to maintain a body in the superconductive state (at least -250 ° C), unless you are in the interstellar vacuum of Pluto ...

On the other hand, superconductors could have applications in magnetohydrodynamic propulsion ... but this is another vast debate with a slightly "science fiction" tendency.

@+
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 21/02/08, 17:29

Remundo said:

Besides, in practice, it is very expensive to maintain a body in the superconductive state (at least -250 ° C), unless you are in the interstellar vacuum of Pluto.

Hey! There's an idea there!

I think the record is at - 120 ° C. Be careful also, from a certain magnetic flux, more superconductivity. But having said that, we will have to think about it for our future intergalactic trips.
The other problem is the cold resistance of the materials: the guys who mount the new CERN hadron accelerator are struggling because the 2 ° K pipe supports break!
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
crispus
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by crispus » 22/02/08, 23:48

Christophe wrote:Yes but on a car it's not for tomorrow ... because cold is not free ... it's even more expensive than hot ...

You have to ask Guy Nègre, his car produces cold for cheap it seems : Lol:
0 x
laurenzo441
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by laurenzo441 » 23/02/08, 04:48

Lol but what is terrible is that as soon as we talk about a car that does not run on petrol we have the impression of talking about science fiction. However solutions exist but it is true that it takes a lot of money to develop a car.

MDI they have at least the merit of trying it is not like these loosers of PSA who dropped the HDI hybrid. To follow with Bolloré and Dassault.

But going back to superconductors I know there is a superconductor battery for cars. A 0.0000001 hom engine is terrible isn't it?

A small battery for maximum power and autonomy.
0 x
the lobbies died.