Nuclear Phaseout? To do what? Bad debate ...

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
Christophe

Nuclear Phaseout? To do what? Bad debate ...

by Christophe » 17/03/11, 16:00

Following the news, all the media and political groups embark on the debate of for or against nuclear ...

Should we get out of nuclear power?
Can we do without nuclear?
What are the alternatives to nuclear?

Well if this debate is surely necessary to "reassure" and so popular, I think we is mistaken for a debate, and here is a much less popular one!

I think the question is rather why did we come to nuclear power? Why do we need so much energy? What does nuclear bring?

If we reduce our needs, our consumption, in short if we become less "electro-consuming" we could do without, more easily, or even automatically, nuclear ...

As janco said yesterday on JT FR2: the only thing that really influences is the price! Under understood; the rest is blah ...

I couldn't agree more: the cost regulates everything!

Now nuclear energy allows (at least apparently for the customer) a reduced cost of energy to the consumer. To see the comparison of electricity prices in Europe

So to say: "can we do without nuclear power" is to say "are you ready to pay 2 or 3 times more for your electricity from tomorrow?" In other words: "for the same bill, are you ready to divide your electricity consumption by 2 or 3?"

Well I bet that said like that, there would immediately be a lot less anti nuclear in France ... When we see like the French slow down as soon as there is an increase of 2 or 3% of electricity. ..so 100 or 200%?

With us we pay 0.25 € / kWh, you read correctly! Nobody heats with electricity (except extra).

With a fuel oil at 0.60 € / kWh, diesel cogeneration would make a kWh cheaper than grid electricity, excluding heat gain!

Message to understand: the low price of energy does not encourage to change ...

Sunday I was about to go into green electricity contract but when i see the quality of green electricity that only looks like greenwashing, I'm going to think about it twice ... apparently it's just as difficult in France to really finance renewable energies (waiting list at EnerCoop) ... neon green electricity doesn't interest me.

In short, the message that I hardly try to get across is the following: the low cost of nuclear power is its best argument for staying in place and the conscientious consumer has very few possibilities to stop funding it.

There are other ideas to develop around this ...

For example, it would be interesting to have, for Europe, the annual electricity consumption in mWh / inhabitant, I don't know pkoi but I'm almost sure that France is in the TOP 3 ...

The title of this topic is deliberately provocative ...

And sorry for the confusion of ideas in this post. It is not easy to explain.

ps: read also energies-fossil-nuclear / letter-am-besson-and-nkm-new-way-of-consumer-t10597.html
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/03/11, 16:43

The nuke is like oil: you have to take advantage of their low cost to implement the alternatives.

In other words: the exit must be gradual to allow the financing of alternatives. If it's brutal (as some radical "ecologists" want it), it will hurt the economy.

Staying in the nuke doctrine (as some radical "pro nuke" want), it will also plague the economy over time, because the nuke is NOT a renewable energy (at least until we have mastered fusion. ..).

It is all the same a pity that we do not hear more about the Desertec project at the moment ... besides I do not believe to have ever heard about it among the "ecologists" politques !!
solar-photovoltaic / Desertec-operate-energetics-of-deserts-t5338.html

Just a little reminder:

The equation is quite simple:

Desertec + algae fuel = bye bye petroleum + nuclear!

I bet that by putting 10 billion per year (which is possible on the scale of a country like France and even easier for Europe or the world) for 10 or 20 years on desertec + algocarburant we would end up with a real lasting solution ... and solving the global energy problem.

But we all know who is pulling the strings and what defines political or industrial choices ... :|
0 x
fthanron
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by fthanron » 17/03/11, 17:21

Benoit THEVARD publishes interesting articles concerning pic oil, the interest of consuming differently and also nuclear:

http://www.avenir-sans-petrole.org/article-sans-petrole-faut-il-tout-miser-sur-le-nucleaire-55818737.html

Good reads if not already done and good comments too!

@+
0 x
Frederic
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 17/03/11, 17:34

Christophe wrote:I bet that by putting 10 billion per year (which is possible on the scale of a country like France and even easier for Europe or the world) for 10 or 20 years on desertec + algocarburant we would end up with a real lasting solution ... and solving the global energy problem.

:|

This is in the country of Care Bears ...

Or they want to implant your friends' solar thermal cells ... This is the country of Grisounours ...

And the Grisounours..Even if they have nothing to do with their desert ..

Euuu j'vais m'taire ....
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/03/11, 17:40

I did not say that it will be easy ... but that it is largely in the realm of realism but do not delay too soon to get started ...

Uh if not, can you remind me where most of Areva's uranium and Total's oil comes from? : Mrgreen:
0 x
pb2488
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by pb2488 » 17/03/11, 18:26

Christophe wrote:As janco said yesterday on JT FR2: the only thing that really influences is the price! Under understood; the rest is blah ...
+1

Christophe wrote:The equation is quite simple:
If it was that simple, maybe Jancovici would have talked about it and argued for it because of his commitment.

Christophe wrote:But we all know who is pulling the strings and what defines political or industrial choices ... :|
The choices and the resulting energy mix are very different depending on the country: Image
0 x
"The truth can not be defined as the majority opinion:
The truth is what follows from the observation of facts. "
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 17/03/11, 18:32

And....? So what?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/03/11, 18:37

Not better... :?:

I think he means that if it was so simple it would already be done?
And that the mix would prove that the energy lobbies do not exist?
0 x
pb2488
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by pb2488 » 17/03/11, 19:57

Christophe wrote:I think he means that if it was so simple it would already be done?

Indeed, or at the very least, Jancovici would have mentioned it in his speech last night or in another.

Christophe wrote:And that the mix would prove that the energy lobbies do not exist?
Lobbies, there is everywhere for sure ... nuclear, oil, coal, renewable energy, politics, associations, etc. After the effectiveness of their actions ... This is subject to controversy.
Well, it's the same, if it was the bulk of the energy problem, Janco would have talked about it.
0 x
"The truth can not be defined as the majority opinion:

The truth is what follows from the observation of facts. "
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/03/11, 20:29

Uh Janco may well say beautiful truths, he does not tell all the truths and especially not to the news ... then must protect his "classmates" ... and his customers ... : Shock:
0 x