Oil and tar sands in Canada. Correspondent

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
Christophe

Oil and tar sands in Canada. Correspondent

by Christophe » 10/10/08, 12:39

An excellent report from a special envoy to better understand the oil sands (bituminous?) Of Canada which represent, in potential, the 2nd world reserve after Saudi Arabia (yes!).

For a few more barrels.
A report by Patrice Lorton and Elodie Metge

It is the last frontier of oil, the last El Dorado for the giants Total or Exxon. The province of Alberta sits on colossal reserves, the second in the world after Saudi Arabia. Special Envoy investigated this “Canadian Texas”, where petrodollars are afloat and mushroom cities are emerging from the earth. Large spaces, 4 X 4 and predominantly male population: these remote regions are reminiscent of the Wild West. Here, it is the oil companies that clash, with billions of dollars. The French Total alone will invest ten billion dollars over the next ten years. In Alberta, you have to pay dearly for oil to flow. Stuck in layers of sand, it comes in the form of a heavy bitumen, impossible to pump. Oil tankers compete in ingenuity to root it out, but whatever the technology, they consume large amounts of water and energy. The equation amounts to burning the equivalent of one barrel, to extract two, with the passage a massive emission of greenhouse gases. The price of a barrel of crude oil had to soar in the 90s for the exploitation of these tar sands to become profitable. Today, at more than eighty dollars, it's the rush, and the environment comes second. Surface mines devour the boreal forest and refineries discharge polluted water. Downstream, the Indians of Lake Athabasca are struck with rare cancers. The Special Envoy's team gathered their testimony. The Eldorado attracts workers from across the country. Fort Mac Murray, the Mecca of the oil sands, sees its population double every ten years. Here, a novice welder earns five thousand euros a month, but life is rough and social protection reduced. Several hundred homeless people roam the streets, some of them victims of their crack addiction. The black gold rush is cruel.

To see in stream here: http://envoye-special.france2.fr/index- ... brique=191
0 x
RIAZ
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by RIAZ » 25/10/08, 15:13

You haven't seen the worst, Christophe ....

Our AREVA friends made a deal with TOTAL to provide the energy necessary for extraction with, I give you Émile, a nuclear power plant.
The jackpot in short, the cumulative disadvantages of nuclear and fossil.

And we are moved that justice has mistakenly released a repeat rapist! At least in this case it was a mistake!
0 x
In terms of the future, it is not to foresee it, but to enable it (Antoine de Saint Exupery)
Flytox

Re: Oil and oil sands in Canada. Correspondent

by Flytox » 25/10/08, 23:24

Bonjour Christophe

The equation amounts to burning the equivalent of one barrel, to extract two, with the passage a massive emission of greenhouse gases.

My cousin works at Total and worked there precisely. It agrees broadly on this proportion, but it is valid for the already existing installations which date a little. Currently the technology with pressurized steam would be able to do 'much' better.

She confirmed to me that the pollution level around these old installations is extremely high and that the native tankers have done anything, but that what they are going to install now will be much more environmentally friendly.

In the conversation, she asked me what image I had of Total. I replied that it was an oiled bird on an oiled beach, she seemed shocked that I did not speak to her about the gas station. : Mrgreen:

A+
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 25/10/08, 23:37

The contract is that Canada will supply the USA with oil for 50 years. Not bad.... : Shock:
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
Remundo

by Remundo » 25/10/08, 23:59

Structurally, the oil extraction yields from the tar sand cannot be good.

In addition, they wash all this m .... excavated with machines as large as energy-guzzlers with large water (boiling please ...) and all the oils and filthy sands go into the rivers.

I saw a report where almost all the fish have tumors / warts on the skin.

The natives avoid fishing while they have done it for centuries.

Only the increase in the price of oil can support the sector, because if the energy yield is very bad, if the ecological yield is disastrous, the return in $ is good for it :|

This shale oil and oil sands, it is bullshit. : Evil:
0 x
RIAZ
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by RIAZ » 26/10/08, 00:14

No Remundo, if the energy efficiency is bad, even at $ 1000 a barrel, we don't do it ...
This is what will save us when it comes to conventional means of providing energy.
This is the opinion of many independent experts.

With AREVA nuclear, sold at a bargain price, we can fear everything.
0 x
In terms of the future, it is not to foresee it, but to enable it (Antoine de Saint Exupery)
Remundo

by Remundo » 26/10/08, 00:24

I think we agree with RIAZ.

Image Here, you just gave me an idea. Nuclear power plants should be built in Canada to extract oil and coal, part of which will be used to extract it again, the other part to sequester CO2, and the third part to recycle nuclear waste Image

What a beautiful development model, isn't it? :?
0 x
chrisleblay
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by chrisleblay » 26/10/08, 01:33

I just spent my vacation in Edmonton, Alberta.
I was "forced" to take the plane because the train cost $ 10 for 000 people (I believe that the railway belongs to the American oil companies in Canada)
I can bring good news in this subject Black is that apparently they are aware of the importance of water so much that I could not even do the dishes (I consumed too much water) so when you know that it takes a huge amount of water to extract petroleum from the sands I think that in the minds of albertans it is making its way.
The really bad thing, however, is that they import foreign labor that they pile up in camps to go and extract oil, so even if Albertans become "aware" I don't know if that will change much because they pay around $ 20 the minimum wage while elsewhere in canada it's around $ 7 to $ 8 so they buy people. Modern slavery !.

a+
chris
0 x
Other
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 26/10/08, 02:55

Hello

I was "forced" to take the plane because the train cost $ 10 for 000 people (I believe that the railway belongs to the American oil companies in Canada)
I can bring can be good news in this dark subject is that apparently they are aware of the importance of water so much that I could not even do the dishes (I consumed too much water)

By plane 4 people from Montreal to Vancouver round trip it's more expensive than Montreal Paris however 6000km the price of the train ticket is higher you included, meal, dodo it's a lot of time on the train and it is not fast (although I never took the train in Canada) (for 4 people rent a car.)

When you consume water, you push a little, there is not even a water meter in domestic houses
Take a map and look at the amount of freshwater lakes
which stretches over thousands of km. (in Quebec)
For the oil sands I told you about it last year about the importance of the deposit
According to the NAFTA agreement between canada USA oil is part of the security reserves of the USA Canada must supply its neighbors to the south even if it is lacking in the country, this oil is extracted and almost all of it is exported by pipeline to the USA
eastern part of canada does not receive oil from alberta

oil sands extraction is the main industry that gives Canada a poor ecological score.

You have not visited the mines and the processing of uranium cylinders
nor the mimes of nickel, graphite ..
Gold mines with all the acids they use to dissolve it.
there too you would have seen things
the big multinationals once they have exhausted the deposits leave us poisoned gifts and go away taking away the workers' pension fund.

Andre
A mountain of asbestos residues near Asbestos
factories close and leave that as a legacy

0 x
coucou789456
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by coucou789456 » 18/01/09, 23:11

Good evening

to update the subject, it seems to me that the price of a barrel of oil has been lower for some time than the cost of extracting these famous tar sands.

what has become of it since then?

It would be great if our econologist friends from across the Atlantic tell us more.

jeff
0 x