Heat wave: decrease in nuclear production

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
Christophe

Heat wave: decrease in nuclear production

by Christophe » 19/07/06, 10:31

Electrabel decreases its electricity production

The Electrabel nuclear power plant in Doel will temporarily reduce its electricity production in a few days. Due to persistent heat, the plant can not keep the water cold enough. Water is used to cool the heat that escapes during the generation of electricity. As the cooling water is discharged into the Scheldt after use, it can not reach a temperature of more than 33 degrees. Too hot water can damage the flora and fauna of the river.

The Scheldt is a cold river, with vegetation and an animal population that is not adapted to hot water. In addition, water that is too hot can stimulate algae growth. These would risk consuming too much oxygen and making the Scheldt an inhospitable river. The reduction in the production process should not be a problem for customers, according to Electrabel. "The general consumption of electricity is anyway lower in summer and many industrial companies are closed", explained the spokesperson for Electrabel. (belga)

http://www.7sur7.be/hlns/cache/fr/det/a ... RPArtikels

Edit, read also: https://www.econologie.com/centrales-nu ... -3101.html

Other source: https://www.rtl.fr/actu/debats-societe/ ... 7794318981

Cattenom.jpg
Cattenom.jpg (236.71 Kio) Accessed 5665 times
Last edited by Christophe the 17 / 05 / 11, 01: 13, 2 edited once.
0 x
neant
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by neant » 19/07/06, 15:50

Yes yes Mr Electrabel, less consumption in summer.

Mr. Electrabel or are we in sales of air conditioners and other fans? heat pumps?

Mr Electrabel the summer lasts only a month for industrialists? the month of paid holidays?

And of course in your regions Mr Electrabel, absolutely all companies are closed for the whole summer!

Mouahahaha what a culo !!! : Mrgreen:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/07/06, 16:33

Ben especially that there is almost no electric heating in Belgium .... but good clims at home that run short the streets again (and thankfully) ...
0 x
camel1
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by camel1 » 19/07/06, 17:48

How e nuclear is certainly not the appropriate response to global warming, since the cooling pb will be felt more and more cruelly, as governments will do nothing to stop it!
0 x
We were on the brink, but we made a big step forward ...
neant
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by neant » 19/07/06, 18:11

Well, a little above that I wanted to draw the wire in fact, is that with the summer, we consume not less energy, but as much if not more, and we therefore reject even more heat in the atmosphere.
To fight against the heat one must make cold, to cold consumes energy.
joules losses, joules losses.
We are entering a very vicious cycle, and I have no doubt about accelerating global warming.

The hotter it gets, the more energy you consume, the more energy you consume, the hotter it will be.
In addition to the consumption of winter energy, will be grafted summer consumption.

So where is the right initiative?

I see only one, consume the heat to restore it in electric energy and stop releasing heat loss from the fossil.

In my opinion, global energy policy is an ecological nonsense. Nuclear power is only bringing abundant energy, and releasing heat in abundance.
There is plenty of waste.
30% the efficiency of a nuclear power plant.
30% electricity, 70% lost heat
Econologically, is it profitable?
Christophe has released a terrifying figure on what represents the heat lost by a single plant in France.
Something like the equivalent to heat 1 M. of fireplaces ...
Take me back if I'm wrong Christophe.
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 22/07/06, 21:05

Hold on the radio France-Info, they announced a power consumption in France, increasing 3%, since the heat wave, due to the fans that they said ...
0 x
Former Oceano

by Former Oceano » 22/07/06, 23:46

There are ways to do without air conditioners.

I live in Marseille and my house is not air conditioned. But it is true that it requires active management of openings.

During the day, close the shutters and windows from the side to the sun and open the others to create a draft.

At night open everything so that the house cools to the maximum.

The roof insulation (rockwool) has been doubled with a thin insulation that returns the heat and the attic that was previously an oven in the summer has become lukewarm! The house has gained some degrees in the winter and lost a lot this summer ...

Likewise, I insulated the inside of the metal louvers and the entrance doors with this same insulation. Balance, it heats less ...

The temperature is no longer suffocating like the previous 7 summers ...

For those who have a terrace and a garden, cover the terrace with blinds-baches, run climbing plants (my vine - white chasselas shade me and the grapes are soon ripe - the sparrows began to taste it ).

Similarly, I water the garden in the middle of the night, around midnight 1 H in the morning, and in the morning, if there is no wind, I deploy a large umbrella to shade over a large part of my little garden.

Other things, when it's hot, mop the floor to wash the floor in the afternoon and take a good nap (not crapuleuse that warms the body ...).

Finally, last thing, use a laptop! It heats less! I strongly avoid using the desktop PC in the day because it heats up too much ...
0 x
neant
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by neant » 23/07/06, 01:47

Without even such work, the principle of the Canadian well is great.

I say that, because where I live now, from the cellar start 4 fireplaces.
These chimneys communicate with all the apartments.
You will not be surprised if I tell you that the chimneys have been partitioned, and hard, at all levels, even in the cellar.
This is ridiculous, it shows how much stupidity has invaded part of the population.

So that instead of recovering the really fresh air from the cellar to cool the whole building, and by the fact also ventilating it, I find myself in a closed volume, with only air flow, a warm supply of outside by the windows. Basically, a car, window open but not moving. I can fight and block the heat, nothing helps, it's the whole building that absorbs the heat and there's nothing to cool it, the only exchange surface is the ceiling of the cellar, brick, so insulating pluto ...
For the rest, it only accumulates heat.

I think it is the same for winter, because the fact of not being able to heat the building by the heat of the earth (heat this time, compared to the outside), obliges me to spend a quantity of significant energy to bring the heat that the earth could have provided me.

I finally ...
Long live EDF and its con advice.
Must be isolated, must be isolated they say ...
0 x
pollux
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by pollux » 23/07/06, 11:45

RRhhhhhaaaaaaa !!! I am pissed off. : Evil: : Evil: : Evil:

I just learned this morning that the state has just authorized edf to discharge into the rivers hotter water than the norm in order to avoid the fall in electricity production.

I am however for nuclear energy in absolute terms (and in theory). be careful, don't get me wrong, I know that this energy is an abomination that must be abandoned as soon as we can, but it is currently our most powerful weapon to reduce co2 emissions, which pose problems for many more short term than nuclear waste.
but there, I find it hard not to cry for the rivers of France.
: Cry:

B ... EL DE M ..... IN THE NAME OF WHAT DOES THE FRENCH STATE PERMIT TO BREAK A LAW THAT IT HIMSELF IMPLEMENTED? IN THE NAME OF WHAT SACRIFIES THE LIFE OF OUR RIVERS FOR THE BENEFIT OF CITIZEN COMFORT? : Evil: : Evil: : Evil: : Evil: : Evil:

how can we trust our government when we see that? does anyone know how we can act? can we file a complaint for endangering the environment? I want to do something, but I don't know what to do, or how to do it, I don't even know if I can : Cry: : Cry:

I hope you can tell me what to do, I don't want to sit idly indignant. not this time.

-Pollux
0 x
criticism is necessary, but the invention is vital because in any invention there is a criticism of the convention ...
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 23/07/06, 11:59

Pollux wrote: IN THE NAME OF WHAT SACRIFIES THE LIFE OF OUR RIVERS FOR THE BENEFIT OF CITIZEN COMFORT?
For the comfort of fellow citizens, but also for citizens of other countries (such as Belgium, which limits its power plants because it respects its rejection temperatures).
With KW sold at gold prices ...
It is above all the financial comfort of EDF, the only leitmotif ...
Once again, we find that the nuclear lobby is a state within a state.
0 x

Go back to "Fossil energies: oil, gas, coal and nuclear electricity (fission and fusion)"