Final energy / primary energy conversion factor

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
laurent_caen
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Final energy / primary energy conversion factor

by laurent_caen » 26/10/10, 15:42

Hello all,

I have been asking myself a question for some time now, of which I have never had the answer.

Regulatory, in RT 2005 (thermal regulation currently in force in France for new buildings), a factor of conversion of final energy into primary energy of 2,58 for electricity and 1 for other energies is defined. In fact, if we consider the production yields, the conversion factors should rather be 2,9 and 1,1 respectively, but they have been divided proportionally by simplification of calculation (we take as base 1 for the other energies than electricity). In short.

What I do not understand, however, but then not at all, is WHY we do not recover the waste heat from power plants (currently evacuated in the form of steam, hot water discharged into rivers and streams) ...) to supply heating networks, industries ... Indeed, these power plants have an efficiency of around 30%, which means that more than twice what is actually used is lost in nature ! Is there a technical explanation for this? If that's the case, if anyone can explain it to me? I imagine so because I find it hard to imagine the fact that EDF is depriving itself of reselling the heat produced, knowing that this is equivalent to more than 2 times their electrical production !!

Anyway, if anyone has a clue, I'm all ears ...

And sorry if the answer is present in another post, in any case, I have not seen it.

Have a good day

Laurent
0 x