What is clean coal?

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

What is clean coal?

by jean63 » 02/02/06, 09:28

I do not know if I am in the right index because this "clean coal" solution does not yet exist, but he is starting to talk about it; in fact G. Bush mentioned it in his speech the day before yesterday.

It is included in the article in the econology news "coal as an alternative" => EXTRACT : Arrow:

The study therefore recommends the development of technologies for capturing and storing CO2, which prevent carbon dioxide from spreading into the atmosphere, where it then remains stationary for almost 150 years.
According to the author, these technologies make it possible to reduce the CO80 emissions linked to the production of electricity from coal by 90 to 2%.
Bush is necessarily interested since the USA has the world's largest coal reserve. I read that yesterday I don't know where ..... I think it's in the wanadoo news.
"The medium-term use of coal must be conditioned to the sequestration of CO2", he underlines.
But this, he adds, does not only depend on the development of technologies: "it will also require a global regulatory framework to impose it on operators, taking into account the additional costs involved".
Finally, he argues, these technological advances should not exempt companies from thinking about saving energy or diversifying their energy sources.

Who has info on the sequestration of CO2 at the bottom of the oceans, I heard or read that scientists are skeptical about this method ....... maybe Jean Marc Jancovici talks about it on his site www.manicore.com ?
There is also talk of using coal to replace oil .... how to do it without sending CO2 into the atmosphere?
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/02/06, 09:36

Returning CO2 under the ocean is a sweet dream for several reasons:

1) Very expensive installation

2) If the source of carbon creation is not "near" it would have to transport CO2 over thousands of km ... You really believe that there would be people "green" enough to pay for the refueling of gas with CO2 that would be enough to reject neither seen nor known? Even if they are obliged (by whom?) To do so, I very much doubt that we will see it one day ... The CO2 exchange will remain purely virutal! And yes we don't really know how to do preventive ... we just make money ...

3) Petroleum technology (therefore belonging to them and given their current behavior it is hard enough to trust them)
0 x
Rulian
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Rulian » 02/02/06, 11:28

What is clean coal?

Well I think it's a concept a bit like "clean war", "bring democracy by force", "Iraq has WMD" or "the Geneva conventions ?? Nothing to do with Guantanamo! Why ?? "

I would like to congratulate our friend Deubeuliou for daring to put out a good joke during the State of the Union speech. Really, to make humor in an occasion 'such must do it!

If we put this thread in the humor section ?? : Mrgreen:
0 x
freddau
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Sequestration

by freddau » 02/02/06, 15:24

There are also studies on the sequestrations in the terrestrial layers.

From what I read, the Paris basin is a place where you can sequester CO2, and why not use the pockets where there were gas reserves ??

The only problem is to guarantee that the CO2 does not rise and if it does rise, to make sure that we are warned. A pocket of CO2 going back to Paris would not necessarily be good news.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/02/06, 15:38

Rulian wrote:I would like to congratulate our friend Deubeuliou for daring to put out a good joke during the State of the Union speech. Really, to make humor in an occasion 'such must do it!

I find that the last news (and the article from which it is taken) "The energy patriotism of George W. Bush - by Christophe on 02/02/2006: 10:33" sums up our vision of things well ... and everything in finesse :) (unlike us sometimes :D )
0 x
Christophe

Re: Sequestration

by Christophe » 02/02/06, 16:00

freddau wrote:There are also studies on the sequestrations in the terrestrial layers.

From what I read, the Paris basin is a place where you can sequester CO2, and why not use the pockets where there were gas reserves ??

The only problem is to guarantee that the CO2 does not rise and if it does rise, to make sure that we are warned. A pocket of CO2 going back to Paris would not necessarily be good news.

All these studies make me really happy when we calculate the cost of a kg of buried CO2 ... assuming that the CO2 is "captureable" (in any case that of transport is) and that we compare it to CO2 cost "rejected" (even taking into account the virtual cost of pollution / damage created by CO2, the factor is from 1 to 10 or even 100!)

No company currently intends to apply such solutions, but they partly finance these studies for their image: "Look, we are studying / financing solutions!" :|

Only a strong political and popular power could oblige these companies to do it ... And it is not tomorrow the day before!
0 x
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Christine » 02/02/06, 17:43

Econology wrote:... assuming that CO2 is "captureable" (in any case that of transport is not)

: Mrgreen: I imagine a large balloon (not to say "hood") hanging on the jar of all vehicles, that we would empty every night in a storage center ... it would be a kind of selective sorting of waste.

More seriously, there is a very simple solution: stop burning everything and anything and especially oil. What are petroleum and coal? CO2 stored off-circuit, underground. So just leave it there and develop other sources of energy. Amen.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/02/06, 17:54

Christine wrote:
Econology wrote:... assuming that CO2 is "captureable" (in any case that of transport is not)

: Mrgreen: I imagine a large balloon (not to say "hood") hanging on the jar of all vehicles, that we would empty every night in a storage center ... it would be a kind of selective sorting of waste.

You do not think so well say ... The manufacturer (I believe it is them ... otherwise maybe an independent inventor) patented something in the genre in the 80s .... a gas buffer while the cata pot heats up ...

Obviously they had not thought that the bag would take the whole trunk by inflating : Cheesy: (1 average engine = 4 L of exhaust gas per minute)

The problem is that even assuming that we know how to reasonably and easily "liquefy or capture CO2" ... its mass (2,3 kg per liter of petrol and 3,1 per liter of diesel) poses a problem .

After a plasma treatment could in the future be able to crack CO2 into solid carbon and O2 (but in this case, if energetically profitable, we would have invented perpetual motion ... on the carbon cycle)
0 x
lau
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by lau » 02/02/06, 23:14

Christine wrote:I imagine a large balloon (not to say "hood") hanging on the jar of all vehicles, that we would empty every night in a storage center ... it would be a kind of selective sorting of waste.

0 x
The number of molecules in a drop of water is equal to the number of drop that contains the Black Sea!
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 02/02/06, 23:19

super lagaffe .......... : Lol:
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).