Power consumption: annual load curve of EDF

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
Christophe

Power consumption: annual load curve of EDF

by Christophe » 06/02/09, 17:09

The load curve of the EDF RTE network speaks volumes about the impact of electric heating in France!

I didn't think it was that much! Good obviously there is public lighting also which is much more energy-consuming in winter than in summer ...

It is from this summary doc on electricity consumption and production in Fance in 2007

It would be good to compare this curve to a curve from a country much less "electrified" in heating ... like Germany for example!
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 06/02/09, 18:28

: Idea: This is why I am going to blow a grand idea to our president to save money.

Build half of the French nuclear power plants on barges (as the Russians did; the Japanese I believe too), and have them go and operate 6 months a year in a country in the southern hemisphere.
Electric motors will suffice to make the trip, of course.

We share the maintenance costs.

And for the recycling of the factory, we guess the following ...

That's all Bénef!

So Zizicossard! What do we say to Uncle Gegyx for this superb idea to place in your next Bonimenteur speech?

(If this happens I will be chosen to be the 111th special advisor, by the Elysian staff?)
: Cheesy:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/02/09, 18:36

gegyx wrote:Build half of the French nuclear power plants on barges (as the Russians did; the Japanese I believe too), and have them go and operate 6 months a year in a country in the southern hemisphere.
Electric motors will suffice to make the trip, of course.

Uh is that a joke? Does it really exist (or has existed)?

gegyx wrote:So Zizicossard! What do we say to Uncle Gegyx for this superb idea to place in your next Bonimenteur speech?

Hiihihih I see that you "enjoyed" as much as I did last night's clowning! : Mrgreen:

The abolition of the professional tax to get the French out of poverty is "not bad" ...

Come on it's Friday evening Image for everyone ... except for the little one at the Elysée ...

Shouldn't vote for a guy who never drank first! Image
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 06/02/09, 22:18

: Arrow: Super curve. 8)

By seeing that we understand better why EDF finances the equipment with heat pump.

Imagine 20 to 30% decrease in consumption in winter and as much increase in consumption in summer by using the reversibility of heat pumps for air conditioning.
And hop, we gain as much on the sale of kWh but we smooth production over the year. : Evil:

Well I advise econologists to insulate their homes ... much faster to amortize and cheaper ... in winter and summer. :D
But it will not be a pleasure for EDF ... because if this will reduce consumption in winter, it will not allow EDF to recover this shortfall in summer consumption of air conditioners ... :?
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 06/02/09, 23:28

Don't worry about EDF, Citro :P

Z found unexpected support: Nicolas is launching one EPR per week right now : Cheesy:

For sure, energy galore, not very expensive and low-carbon.

But the waste to be managed for hundreds of future generations, starting with our children ... :|
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/02/09, 09:46

citro wrote:Imagine 20 to 30% decrease in consumption in winter and as much increase in consumption in summer by using the reversibility of heat pumps for air conditioning.
And hop, we gain as much on the sale of kWh but we smooth production over the year. : Evil:

I asked myself the same question and I am surprised that the summer curve is not "higher": because there are a few million air-conditioned offices, all hospitals are now ... This still means than air conditioning (even reversible) is less energy-consuming than electric heating! It remains to find the% of public lighting ....

Here, but I have an early answer found in this document on the electrical consumption of lighting in France that is, the consumption of discharge lamps (therefore large part, at least 80% = public lighting) = 21 TWh ...

We can therefore reasonably assume that between 15 TWh and 20 TWh per year = public lighting energy. It's less than 2 weeks of total consumption in the middle of winter!

It would be absolutely necessary to find equivalent to this curve for the foreigner: Germany for example but also countries more distant like a country in the desert, or logically the curve should be convex instead of being concave!
Last edited by Christophe the 10 / 05 / 11, 11: 25, 1 edited once.
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 07/02/09, 11:24

Hello everyone,

In summer, consumption decreases because the 3 main causes decrease namely:
- industry (holidays / production slowdown)
- domestic heating needs (absent, except domestic hot water)
- public lighting (very long days)

The Clim 'effect remains marginal because very few individual houses are equipped in France. It is not the same in the USA.
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 07/02/09, 18:46

Thank you for the clarification : 8)
Remundo wrote:The Clim 'effect remains marginal because very few individual houses are equipped in France. It is not the same in the USA.
This is a good thing and I hope that the disappearance of tax credits in France on air / air heat pumps will slow down the equipment of these devices.
: Arrowl:
Insulation investments are more reasonable in this area.

Again it appears that progress is not the development of new plants but in the hunt for waste.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/02/09, 20:43

Remundo wrote:- industry (holidays / production slowdown)
- public lighting (very long days)

Definitely you REALLY don't read my posts ... :|

a) I have just shown that public lighting only represents the maximum and over the whole year the equivalent of 2 weeks of consumption

We can therefore reasonably assume that between 15 TWh and 20 TWh per year = public lighting energy. It's less than 2 weeks of total consumption in the middle of winter!

It is therefore not a main cause, despite what one might imagine at first ...

b) Same for companies: in May a company produces and consumes no less than in January or February, except of course for its needs in ... space heating (the consumption scale is not at 0, j Didn't watch out)

Only the low in summer around week 33 (= week of August 15), clearly visible, represents, in my opinion, industrial consumption. And it is hardly more than 1 TWh per week!

c) So, I really think that electric heating (both private and industrial) is responsible for 80% of the trend of this curve.

Let's find the consumption curve for a tropical country and another less electrified European country and we can conclude with certainty ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 10/02/09, 15:52

Christophe wrote:It would be absolutely necessary to find equivalent to this curve for the foreigner: Germany for example but also countries more distant like a country in the desert, or logically the curve should be convex instead of being concave!

I don't have the curves, but indeed, in some Chuad countries (Sahel, etc ...), the red period when the power stations "heat up" is the hot period ... Clims at full blast ... lighting (public / houses) varies much less because the length of day and night is much more constant ...

The houses have no heating!
0 x