Arctic: no oil at the North Pole but at the Arctic Circle

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
Christophe

Arctic: no oil at the North Pole but at the Arctic Circle

by Christophe » 01/10/07, 11:55

Here is an extract from the climatology file: "Artique la debacle began" from the last Science et Avenir of October 2007, page 77.

The file begins with an image similar to this one:

See https://www.econologie.com/forums/faits-et-c ... t3920.html et https://www.econologie.com/animation-du- ... -3426.html

An IFP engineer has drawn up a map of the oil resources of the North Pole, extracts:

Sciences et Avenir wrote:This map shows the current (maritime) borders and known oil reserves.

The American geological agency, US geological survey, has indeed announced that 25% of the world's oil reserves were beyond the Arctic Circle.

But the engineer tempers: "97% of them are inside the 200 nautical mile zone which extends off the coasts of the riparian States, that is to say already belonging to a clearly identified State. (...) Finally, only 3% of the reserves are in the international zone and could be the subject of claims.

“From a geological point of view, HC reservoirs can only be formed in sedimentary basins. However, the Pole forms on an ocean ridge. It does not contain any sediment. Therefore, there is no oil under the North Pole itself."

Oil tankers are therefore already largely aware of the oil resources of the North Pole (and Bush has launched prospecting in the Antarctic) and the melting of the ice will greatly facilitate its exploitation ... polar bears? We have the zoo for them ...
: Evil:
0 x
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Arctic: no oil at the North Pole but at the pol circle

by bham » 01/10/07, 13:55

Christophe wrote: Oil tankers are therefore already largely aware of the oil resources of the North Pole (and Bush has launched prospecting in the Antarctic) and the melting of the ice will greatly facilitate its exploitation ... polar bears? We have the zoo for them ... : Evil:

We agree on this last point.
You say: "Bush has launched prospecting in the Antarctic". Are you sure where did you mean arctic?

25% of the world oil reserves is enormous, the oil companies are going to have to invest colossal sums to prospect and exploit these new deposits.
Take the opportunity to watch this video:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3057e ... r_politics
and you will understand why it is necessary for the oil companies that the price of the barrel increases. This will allow the oil market to last for ten years more.
Is it for the good of the environment and the development of renewable energies?
Nothing less sure.
View:
https://www.econologie.com/forums/post58680.html#58680
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 01/10/07, 14:05

It was Antarctica that I meant ...

Arctic prospecting has been done for years (more or less precisely), otherwise this article by IFP engineer would not exist ...

25% yes it's huge!

It's funny to see how the IFP engineer reasoned and transformed this 25% into 3% ...he simply has no global vision... Only thing that interests him: what France can exploit ...
0 x
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 01/10/07, 16:54

Christophe wrote:Only thing that interests him: what France can exploit ...

Which is TOTALLY false since our National Co. can prospect all over the world ... just win the contracts.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 01/10/07, 17:00

Well ... we are not talking about exploitation in the world but in territorial waters.

I am not an expert on the subject but I suppose that national companies (in the sense belonging to the country) have largely priority (if not exclusivity) to exploit the territorial waters of a country! After that, it's a sham with the local leaders ...

And what the people of TOTALELF can do in Africa (or even in Iraq, thank you Chirac-Saddam relations), I doubt they can afford it with Russia or Canada ... having their own oil companies. ..

In international waters: this is the rule of, first come, first served!

Me I'm wrong?
0 x
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 01/10/07, 17:17

Christophe wrote: And what the people of TOTALELF can do in Africa (or even in Iraq, thank you Chirac-Saddam relations), I doubt they can afford it with Russia or Canada ... having their own oil companies. ..

Yes indeed, unless there are agreements between Cies.

Christophe wrote:In international waters: this is the rule of, first come, first served!
Me I'm wrong?

Don't know, I never tried : Lol:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 01/10/07, 17:21

bham wrote:Yes indeed, unless there are agreements between Cies.

It is debatable but in view of the shortage to come, I doubt that "agreements" are really possible ...

The countries which will have the energy in the next decades will control the world and I doubt that they will want to share ...

Small remark, apart from Alaska, the USA will not have much to say in this region of the world, contrary to their hand put on the MO ...
0 x
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 01/10/07, 18:28

Christophe wrote:
Small remark, apart from Alaska, the USA will not have much to say in this region of the world, contrary to their hand put on the MO ...

It is not the first time that they would try to change the cards anyway. You saw the video of Eric Laurent, the USA imposed very low oil prices on Saudi Arabia for 1 years to crack the USSR and bring about the end of communism.
And then on the Canadian side, given what they are already doing with the oil shales .....
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 01/10/07, 18:49

And following their centuries-old precept which has proven itself so far:
A good polar bear is a dead bear.
: Mrgreen:

In the same vein, "oil at all costs and especially for my face",
a report, questionable, but still distressing.

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1980 ... arsuy7.swf
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 01/10/07, 18:56

Toutafé ok with you :)

Not bad .swf ... except some ideological delusions at the end ...

As long as we're on video / petroleum: https://www.econologie.info/?2007/07/03/ ... terrorisme
0 x

Go back to "Fossil energies: oil, gas, coal and nuclear electricity (fission and fusion)"