positive self-Yurt

Construction of natural or ecological habitat: plans, design, advice, expertise, materials, geobiology ... House, construction, heating, insulation: you have just received one or more quotes. Can't choose? State your problem here and we will advise you on the right choice! Help in reading DPE or environmental energy diagnostics. Help with the purchase or sale of real estate.
olivierdauch
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

positive self-Yurt

by olivierdauch » 21/11/09, 18:23

Hello everybody
For several years, we have been looking with my partner and our two children for a piece of land to install ... our yurt.
I am a craftsman manufacturer of yurts and we dream since 4 years now to live there but ... you know the history of shoemakers and their shoes ...
It was not easy to find land in the area where we live. The prices are not excessive (11 € the building land at m2 for example) as elsewhere but we are in a very rural area and it is not easy to find someone who wants to sell a lot, both l attachment to the earth is anchored in mentalities. I live in Cantal, Auvergne.
But even if it's not done yet, we think we've found our piece of paradise. 16.070 m2 of land, partly constructible and partly agricultural with an ideal exposure.
We will try to put our yurt there and are rather optimistic.
Side authorization, I will come back perhaps in the detail later but we will ask for a building permit, with a city hall which will support us, too happy to see a family of 4 arrive on its commune.
For the yurt, it will be me who will manufacture it, it's still my job !!
90 m2 floor, a mezzanine of about half is about 135 m2 floor. A height of walls at 2,60 m for a central height culminating at 5,10 m with an inclination of roof at 30 °. 4 frames will receive glazed surfaces facing south, between south-east and south-west. The insulation will be sheep wool. The maximums I used at the moment are 140 mm, maybe I'll try to go much further, to 200 mm to experiment, to see the difference. My supplier, Etoile du Berger, had offered to do this test, it is to see.
Acrylic canvas, not ecological, but probably the least worst eco-balance. It's a long debate ...
Placed on a raised floor, isolated in cellulose wadding.
The mezzanine will consist of a wooden frame on which I would like to put a coating earth for the look and feel but also to allow me to erase the corners of the mezzanine and round off everything, which seems more harmonious in a yurt.
A small wooden building next door will serve as storage room, technical rooms to place all that noise (washing machine, etc ...), bicycles, etc ... and especially solar panels on the roof: thermal for the hot water tank, photovoltaic for the production of electricity, connected to the network to avoid battery problems. A small wind turbine? To see, the site could lend itself to it.
Dry toilets of course.
Phytoplant basins with reeds for purification.
Heating is a subject of hesitation.
The yurt is usually easy to heat but a model of this size with mezzanine, the heat will it penetrate properly under the mezzanine?
Answer winter 2010-2011, after trying!
I first leaned on a solar heating with wood booster and heating walls. But it's expensive, and is it essential?
I'm currently looking at a Bruno stove stove like this: http://www.poelesbruno.com/FR/modeles-bruno-fourneau.html
This one would make the popotte, to heat the yurt, possibly to recover the heat by ducts and to distribute it under the mezzanine if necessary and possibly still, to be modified with a heating coil to serve as a boiler if the need arises. Another advantage: it burns a lot of different things including chips and untreated wood chips, waste of my activity that I have rab.
So here I mention this project is that it is still in the reflection phase but more and more active since we found our land and it makes us progress on this project. By exposing my ideas here, I rely on your remarks, your questions, to move me forward in reflection.
So do not hesitate, go ahead with your comments, questions, remarks and co ... I hope that's it : Mrgreen:
0 x
Passionate about alternative habitats in general and yurts in particular, the eco-construction, self-construction and ingenuity that often goes with it, as well as the great challenges we have to face in order to leave the planet roughly in good shape. state and a world a little better! At work !
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 21/11/09, 20:48

Project eminently friendly than yours!

Heating the mezzanine should not be a problem because the warm air rises naturally.

I looked at the stove you plan to install, it seems inspired by a Canadian version ... That said, I wonder if a real wood stove would not be more comfortable, with its large cooking surface and oven.
The modern versions, with their large fireplace, do not have the disadvantage of too little autonomy and keep the pleasure and ease of cooking with different temperature zones (I practiced!).
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
olivierdauch
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by olivierdauch » 21/11/09, 20:59

For the heating of the mezzanine, it is rather for below that I ask myself questions, above, yes, it should be good! I wonder if the heat will penetrate enough under the mezzanine. To see the use.
The stove is a copy (but which of the egg or the chicken arrived first?) Bullerjan of Canadian design but manufactured now in Germany. The model that interests me, cook, is not manufactured at Bullerjan and the prices have nothing to do, the Germans typing very high! From simple to almost double on some models. I am trying to evaluate the quality of manufacturing Bruno stoves that does not look, for the moment, bad at all.
The advantage that I find in this type of stove is the autonomy with logs of 70 cm, the yield 75%, the fact of being able to burn waste (chips, softwood) of my activity and also the mode of natural distribution of heat which allows, by mixing the air, to quickly bring heat everywhere in a large volume. Classic stoves do not do that.
0 x
Passionate about alternative habitats in general and yurts in particular, the eco-construction, self-construction and ingenuity that often goes with it, as well as the great challenges we have to face in order to leave the planet roughly in good shape. state and a world a little better! At work !
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 21/11/09, 21:37

Okay, for the mezzanine I did not understand your questioning!
An important parameter seems to be the radiation that should heat the ground floor significantly.

The 75% yield is the exchange or combustion capacity?
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Lietseu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Lietseu » 21/11/09, 23:02

Finally a pure and hard :D

Welcome to you on econology, where life is good and we make real friends (especially when we can really meet them) 8) Ahmed ................................................. .......... hee-hee!

I do not believe that the heat will have difficulty "slipping" under your mezzanine ... & surely not if you place this stove which looks very damn good to me, but I did not know it, and I do not have no experience with this type of stove.

I have the idea to revive the one of my childhood with the help of a friend econologist (if you read me here, big curious, it is you I speak Philippe : Lol: ) and he himself better placed than me to make one, he is a blacksmith of art (among others) ...
It will be a two-story machine not common now, but whose plans are in my head, it was terribly effective, it warmed me all my childhood.

I have in another life owned a mezzanine in an apartment and it was good everywhere, you have of course always a difference of a few ° C especially if it is very high, but hey, not enough to die under the comforter!

Bucheron friend who is one of our connoisseur in isolation, you will surely make any suggestion if you have questions at this level. :P

For my part, apart from considerations on firewood and philosophy, I can only encourage you and wish you, at first ... good winds :P

and .... Miaou of course :P
0 x
By removing Human Nature, he was far from his nature! Lietseu
"The power of love, must be stronger than the love of power" contemporary Lie Tzu?
One sees clearly only with the heart, the essential is invisible to the eyes ...
olivierdauch
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by olivierdauch » 21/11/09, 23:28

Ahmed wrote:The 75% yield is the exchange or combustion capacity?

Very good question ! It is the performance displayed for the stove that interests me. I do not know how to answer your question, not enough skills in the field.
The particularity of this stove is the method of diffusion of heat by radiation of course but also (and mainly from some sites on the Bullerjan using the same technique) by convection. the tubes on either side of the combustion chamber warm up on contact and suck cold air down to cool the hot air up. Beware of the mixing of dust in this case but avoiding to put it at ground level, the problem is largely solved.
I also end up being convinced that the heat can slip under the mezzanine. If it was not enough, I could probably get some of the hot air flow through ducts and bring it where I want through the walls of the mezzanine or predict from the start this kind of sheath in the floor . But a difference of a few degrees is not a problem. Except that under the mezzanine, there will be children's rooms that are also spaces dedicated to their games during the day. For me, a room a little cool is a room where we sleep well but do we play comfortably?
Thank you for the encouragements.
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 22/11/09, 09:57

Hello Olivier,
I am astonished that leestseu did not propose to install a stove mass.
In principle, it must be placed in the middle of the house.
Its yield revolves around 95%
There is a way to cook (depending on the configuration of the stove)
It is possible to diffuse part of its heat or one wants via ducts of hot air.
Its effects of heat are very pleasant, it is fed 3 4 hours, and it is quiet the rest of the day.
It's a bit expensive, but many sites explain how to make this stove yourself.
Here are some sites that talk about this stove:
http://jeromelebarbichu0.chez-alice.fr/poele.html
http://constructionpoeledemasse.blogspot.com/
http://forums.futura-sciences.com/habit ... masse.html
http://poele-de-masse.org/
http://allsculpt.com/wikiPDM/index.php? ... Historique
http://pdmlub.canalblog.com/archives/p20-10.html
And I have plenty of others
:D
I did not say that it is the best heating for this kind of home, but that it is to study, as the underfloor heating, which also offers an indisputable thermal comfort; but for that, you need a concrete slab. (Again, the mass stove can be considered.)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 22/11/09, 10:38

Another link on the mass stove: https://www.econologie.com/forums/poele-de-m ... t8278.html

Even if it is (very) well insulated, a yurt has very little thermal inertia, so I am not sure that a mass stove is suitable because it risks heating too much! What is the nominal power of a "small" mass stove? 15 kW? 20 kW?

Not to mention the fact that a yurt is, by nature, removable and transportable "quite easily". Putting a one-ton mass stove in it would complicate this task.
0 x
olivierdauch
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by olivierdauch » 22/11/09, 11:38

Hello,
I know a little stoves mass but I do not find them suitable for yurts for several reasons: first their weight, it would change my floors completely to put this kind of stove that must weigh twice the weight of the yurt on 2 m 2; then the price, we must not lose sight of the fact that the yurt little energy to heat, is it worth investing in such sources of heating?
Otherwise, in principle, it could stick.
Placing the stove in the center is unsatisfactory from the point of view of watertightness and safety with an opening dome that could no longer be so and which is essential for the exhaust of stale or overheated air in summer .
0 x
olivierdauch
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by olivierdauch » 22/11/09, 12:16

Here are some pictures of fabrications to give you a glimpse of what I speak:
8 m diameter frame, 50 m2 ground
Yurt of 80 m2 on the ground, mine will be slightly bigger but with higher walls (2,60 m against 2,20 m here) and a bigger slope of roof (
30 ° versus 22 ° here)
Interior design: facade of a mezzanine 25 m2 for a yurt 8 m diameter. On the left, the kitchen, left door the bathroom, on the right a room.
0 x