Stirling in cogeneration

Tips, advice and tips to lower your consumption, processes or inventions as unconventional engines: the Stirling engine, for example. Patents improving combustion: water injection plasma treatment, ionization of the fuel or oxidizer.
Dearcham
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Dearcham » 18/03/04, 09:40

Here is a thread (row for anglophobes, me it always makes me think of a skewer this word ...) found on forums by 13millenium /notre-terre.info

Author: lool
Date: 03-03-2004 09: 23

> Seriously, a principle that deserves reflection is, to my
> notice, the Stirling engine. I still have doubts, because
> no one has been able to create an 'industrial' model capable of
> compete with a gasoline or diesel engine.

False .. submarines are sailing with stirling engines.

Each technology has its advantages and disadvantages, the big advantage of stirling is its independence from the energy source.

When the pantone carburetor works, it is mainly about depollution and efficiency gains.

FYI, German airplane engines from the last world war had a water injection system for my "booster" that the principle is not new.

Another interesting engine: the quasiturbine
see http://quasiturbine.promci.qc.ca/

Author: Ugo (13millennium.com)
Date: 03-03-2004 11: 16

I actually found info on the stirling which showed that it was used with success in military submarines, after the diesel of the second world war, and before the nuclear reactors.

There are also prototypes of stirling plugged into a solar concentrator, the sun therefore providing by concentration the energy of the engine which converts it into mechanical energy draws into electricity, and this, with a yield far superior to photovoltaic cells. Except that it makes more noise obviously.

--------------------------------------------- http: // 13millennium .com, Planetological Encyclopedia

Author: koen
Date: 03-03-2004 11: 53

I didn't see anything about the noise. This prototype remains a prototype, and it costs 30.000 € HT (for a 9KW motor), which is a bit expensive for individual DIY. This machine has thousands of hours on the meter and displays a higher output than photovoltaic (quantity of electricity supplied per square meter covered).

It is also ideal for co-generation. Today, we have a choice between a solar thermal panel (~ 850Wp / m2) or a photovoltaic panel (~ 150Wp / m2). With a cogeneration stirling engine, we can hope to 'extract' around 250Wp electric and 600Wp thermal.

In addition such an installation (but not parabolic) covers a surface by projecting a shade, thus allowing suddenly a culture below.

Valorous

Date: 04-03-2004 09: 45

The heliostats systems currently in service, or concentrating parabolas, occupy the ground surface. Due to their construction, they are almost the same visual impact as a wind turbine.

A flat heliostat looks more like a veranda roof. So in some places, say close to the Mediterranean, some crops become impossible (at least without heavy irrigation) because the sun is shining too bright. A similar role is taken by palm groves in desert regions.

So such a structure would leave the soil under the structure usable for other purposes. Not necessarily for gardening, a garden shed, a terrace or any use.

All of this is just an idea, which deserves to go beyond the mecano model.

Valorous

Date: 08-03-2004 11: 52

I think about it and I'm working on it - for the heliostats part.

I'm still looking for an 'efficient' way to convert the heat I get into electricity. A "small Stirling engine" explodes my research budget.
I wanted a steam turbine, but it starts from 5 MW etc etc.

My last idea is a set of three machines: a compressor, a compressed air motor and an alternator. The compressor would provide a first stage of compression, the solar heat would provide a second stage, and the whole thing would then be relaxed in the engine, which would provide the necessary work for the compressor and the generator.

However, I am not convinced that this system can provide useful power with acceptable performance and at an acceptable price.

Valorous
0 x
Dearcham
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Dearcham » 18/09/04, 23:12

I just wanted to testify to what I saw spinning a stirling with a solar parabola (about 10 m ^ 2 self-built). The toy sold 500W which is not huge but interesting when you do not light up with halogens throughout the home.

I also recovered some crispy contacts in the beautiful city of Nantes (the associative garage near the Talensac market) where someone was on the verge of marketing kit stirling at fairly low prices (from 2000 euros gear tested) ) his site is not yet up to date but I should have news around mid-November.

Econology always on the go for you :)
0 x