Gasoline engine without spark plug

Tips, advice and tips to lower your consumption, processes or inventions as unconventional engines: the Stirling engine, for example. Patents improving combustion: water injection plasma treatment, ionization of the fuel or oxidizer.
candas1
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Gasoline engine without spark plug

by candas1 » 09/03/10, 15:44

In partnership with MIT, an American company has just presented a revolutionary fuel injection system for petrol engines. This innovative system - which removes the spark plug - exceeds the performance of hybrid vehicles with a consumption of 3,68 L per 100 km.

http://www.futura-sciences.com/fr/news/t/technologie-1/d/368-litres-aux-100-kilometres-cest-possible-avec-un-moteur-a-essence_22924/

(edited by ex-océano 09/03/10 16h16: BBCode correction)
0 x
A4 1.9 90 tdi CH - 300 000 km
Record conso - 4.15 L / 100
Christophe

by Christophe » 09/03/10, 17:00

Futura science remains faithful to its search for "scientific demagoguery" ... but when you scratch there is much more ... : Evil:

It's nonsense to talk about 3.68 L "in a vacuum" ...

The spark plug-less gasoline engine, you don't have to go get it at MIT, the "CAI engine"is one and it has been developed by French automakers and the IFP for 5 years (at least) ... even if, apparently, the task is not so obvious ...

Some definitions on "new engines":

- ACCH: Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (origin Canadian research)
- HPC: Higly Premixed Combustion (origin IFP, it is the application to the industrial engine of the NADI process of IFP)
- CIHC: Compression-Ignitied Homogeneous Charge (Nadj and Foster, University of
Wisconsin-Madison)
- CIBAI: Compression Ignition By Air Injection (West Virginia University, tests on CFR engine to control self-ignition by hot air injection)
- APIR: Self-ignition Controlled by Radical Injection (research from the University of Orleans in collaboration with PSA) which positions itself as an intermediary between the classic mode and the HCCI.

We can also add the French terms decided by the commission of
terminology and which appeared in the Official Journal 2 June 2006:

- Compression self-ignition translates the term HCCI
- Auto ignition by hot gas translates the term ATAC
- Preset auto-ignition translates the term CAI

https://www.econologie.com/motorisations ... -3717.html

I also really want to talk about petrol VCR whose MCE-5 is my most successful French version: https://www.econologie.com/forums/mce-5-le-m ... t7283.html
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 17/05/10, 00:33

petrol without spark plug: all multi-fuel diesel engines do it, military truck, amx30 ...

problem, the gasoline sprayed at the time of combustion does not burn faster than diesel, so it smokes if it runs too fast: it does not want to run faster than diesel

the advantage of gasoline is precisely to be able to turn as fast as we want

I would like to find a good way to inject gasoline so that it burns quickly, to put in 2 times and avoid the loss of fuel by the exhaust
0 x
oiseautempete
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by oiseautempete » 17/05/10, 07:29

chatelot16 wrote:I would like to find a good way to inject gasoline so that it burns quickly, to put in 2 times and avoid the loss of fuel by the exhaust

It's been a long time since it exists: pneumatic injection, but on a classic 2-stroke it is not feasible because of lubrication (a standard 2-stroke is lubricated by the mixture which passes through the low engine): it takes a 2-stroke wet sump, so necessarily with compressor and valves to have a good sweep ... so we lose simplicity, we just gain in weight and volume ... but the energy efficiency remains less than a 4-stroke, part piston stroke is useless for work (at the lights) ... but can be improved with an Atkinson cycle ...
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 17/05/10, 07:56

lubrication is not a problem: even if petrol is injected into the cylinder it does not prevent the oil from being swallowed by the intake

the French company tractors are indeed 2-stroke precompression in the crankcase: diesel when it is hot, and gasoline injection to start: the oil pump injects not even by the intake, but by the crankshaft bearings and a point on the passage of the segment: even no need for special 2-stroke oil: it eats ordinary mineral oil

I have seen ads for a long time for 50cc 3-stroke scooters with pneumatic injection but I don't know enough to understand
0 x
oiseautempete
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by oiseautempete » 17/05/10, 08:43

chatelot16 wrote:lubrication is not a problem: even if petrol is injected into the cylinder it does not prevent the oil from being swallowed by the intake

the French company tractors are indeed 2-stroke precompression in the crankcase: diesel when it is hot, and gasoline injection to start: the oil pump injects not even by the intake, but by the crankshaft bearings and a point on the passage of the segment: even no need for special 2-stroke oil: it eats ordinary mineral oil

Uh, the tractor system must be ultra polluting: don't even bother to think about it: you have to remember that at the time, people didn't give a damn about the environment, besides there very commonly had 4-stroke engines with lost-oil lubrication, especially in the distribution, and in the days of the Soviet Union, the many cars with 2-stroke engines made the roads slippery so much there was oil on the road. ..
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/05/10, 10:58

I have just posted a fairly complete document (for the "general public") on the CAI controlled ignition petrol engine technology by the IFP School.

Much more complete than what was said in the FS article ...

Also read the topic on DiesOtto engine about gasoline auto ignition and its video presentation: https://www.econologie.com/presentation- ... -4265.html
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 17/05/10, 14:51

thank you very much: great document

for a long time my heart swings between 2 stroke and 4 stroke, with a big preference for 2 stroke, too bad it is only good in diesel ...

I would hope that by plugging the exhaust more or less it also becomes good in gasoline (or methane and gasifier): there is everything you need for it to be very good

even if in this document they mainly try to redo the same thing in 4 steps
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/05/10, 14:54

chatelot16 wrote:a pity that it is only good in diesel ...

... slow (i.e. less than 500 rpm not to say 100 rpm).

I prefer to supplement so as not to disturb the spirits!

chatelot16 wrote:even if in this document they mainly try to redo the same thing in 4 steps

Well it's still a 4 stroke ... but more and more "controlled" ... this is exactly what was done by switching to the fuel oil engine HP injection ... it is now the turn of gasoline engines .
0 x
ggdorm
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by ggdorm » 25/08/10, 10:59

In aeromodelling, our small displacement engines only have a spark plug for the first explosion for the cycle is self-maintained by the internal heat of the engine ... The intake is at the crankshaft of a mixture composed of 10% d natural or synthetic oil, methanol and nitromethane (which is used for the conservation of slows)
0 x