Washable air fliter

Tips, advice and tips to lower your consumption, processes or inventions as unconventional engines: the Stirling engine, for example. Patents improving combustion: water injection plasma treatment, ionization of the fuel or oxidizer.
bidouille23
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Washable air fliter

by bidouille23 » 07/03/13, 00:18

Good evening, good morning ,

following the acquisition by a friend and my brother of a K&N brand washable air filter guaranteed 1 km (?) and 000.000 years ...

My friend at a BMW with on-board computer, after mounting he noted a gain of app 0.3 L / 100 km of consumption. keeping the same driving style as before mounting the filter.

They are washable so it is I think econological ... after 5 washes roughly the filter is amortized ...

two links to order them:

in Germany: free shipping:

http://www.racechip.de/fr/filtres-a-air-kn/

in England :

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/jaysperformance

I just ordered here cheaper even with the shipping costs, and 99.9% favorable return on 57927 return ...

see you
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 07/03/13, 00:38

there are things to say about air filters

paper air filters seem doubtful ... expensive to replace and not necessarily the most effective

however, there were older solutions that worked well

1) oil bath filter: the air passes over an oil tank, entrains it a little bit to wet a pile of steel wool which retains the dust, and the dirty oil re-settles in the tank: that works very well as long as we change the oil regularly ... there was that on all the old diesel ... I always have one on my citroen C35

there was that also on the old gasoline engine kind GMC

2) foam filter: it mounts in place of the pleated paper filter: the foam must be oiled by some drop, it retains the dust well ... when it is dirty we clean it by wringing it in water with detergent, then a few drops of oil and off we go again ... we sometimes found them in the air filter department of stores, but increasingly rare ... we always find this kind of foam filter in Chinese generator and it works very well
0 x
bidouille23
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by bidouille23 » 07/03/13, 01:02

Hi evening chatelot,

I know the oil bath filter I am one on my PL;) a ptit M140 renault ... and actually you have to change the oil and not do as on my old little Pl, when I buy it (tubo zeta) it came from a manufacturer of crates, there was basically no more room for oil, there was only an aglomer of wood dust and oil, balance the turbo no longer turbot nothing at all ... once washing and restarting it hissed loudly;) ... but hey it was still just a turbo zeta ... :)

On the other hand do not ps to fill up with oil in the jar, respect the level well otherwise the risk of self-priming is more than probable, in this case a self-supply of the engine with the oil from the low engine , it smokes blue (a lot) and the engine turns into an F1 engine it takes turns and turns and turns .... do not try to stop the engine with a cloth on the air intake lol, the rag goes into the engine ouppsss ... a good wooden board pressing the air intake does the trick to stall the beast, if not and wait well, and either the engine farts or it holds until combustion total oil but finished in poor condition ...
I did not do it but a friend of mine at my father at the CFA yes on a renault major Rg 230 (this says these motors are strong, after this shock treatment it still worked, however it seems that the workshop was blue knife cut smoke ...): p: p: p

foam filter like on small engines I know, but not on cars by cons never seen ...
0 x
Other
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

Re: Washable air filter

by Other » 07/03/13, 02:14

Hello

bidouille23 wrote:
My friend at a BMW with on-board computer, after mounting he noted a gain of app 0.3 L / 100 km of consumption. keeping the same driving style as before mounting the filter.

Not convinced that there is a gain on consumption at least in cruising speed driving.
I would rather say an increase in maximum power.

To find out the effectiveness of a filter, place a pressure tap after the air filter and measure the depression in a water column.
The experience I have on 6-liter displacement aircraft engines
the air filter is completely removed just a coarse screen. to operate on seaplanes, the only gain obtained is when we ask for full power (we go from 2400rpm to 2475 rpm at takeoff it is much better for the engine to swallow a few flies than to plant in the fir trees at the end of the lake ) When cruising, no filter difference or no filter on fuel consumption or, rather, autonomy, no difference.
In winter on the snow no dust even less at altitude I also remove the foam air filter, a flight in a snowfall with a filter it clogs in a few minutes, completely.

Andre
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 07/03/13, 07:24

Hello!

I have been using K&N filters or equivalent for several years on my last three vehicles (gasoline) and yes there is a saving in economy and for two very simple reasons:

1) the torque increases and the gear change takes place at a lower speed.

2) I do not take the coldest air for the maximum performance but under the hood where the air is warmer and asks the computer to reduce the fuel injection.

The performance gain is still significant, combined with synthetic oil and a Wynn's additive in the engine and transmission I managed to consume under the manufacturer's sheet.
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.
Criticism is good if added to some compliments.
Alain
bidouille23
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by bidouille23 » 07/03/13, 09:04

Hello ,

Alain, I took the vesrion let's say classic (original location what), not the horn that takes the air up, on the 306 the air box is hidden (;)) below just behind the radiator , but I said to myself that a good piece of super large pipe which would come to take the air like higher see behind the radiator should allow me to slightly increase the temperature of the latter.
I would try with hose and without hose ... will see ..

The same oil I take 5W40 pure synthesis so ...

What is your wins additive? injection cleaning additive or diesel additive? or ???

The diesel fuel added by wins at the pump is one more turbo (it makes me two in the car suddenly :) ;)). This is saying if I can pay a less expensive chouilla by "adding" (it does not exist as a word but it is clear to say what I want :) ) myself while keeping performance so, less pollution too, me that's what interests me too, no smoke at all even during acceleration recovery. I'm not crazy about the steering wheel but sometimes you have to accelerate a little dry (it happens a little but it happens) and suddenly in this case of good diesel no black smoke at all nothing;) ... same result on the esapce 2 reputed to be smoking black during recovery, it's obvious .....
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 07/03/13, 15:08

the importance of the air filter is completely different in petrol and diesel

in essence we almost always roll with the butterfly which is not fully open ... if the filter slows down the air a little just open a little more and the result is the same ... there until we see that the filter decreases the maximum power

in diesel it's worse: even when you want a low power it is necessary that the engine swallows the right amount of air to have the right compression ... if the air filter reduces the air flow, the compression is more low, the yield decreases and it is necessary to send more diesel to make the same power ... and when we want the maximum power, there is not enough air to make everything burn and it smokes black!
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 07/03/13, 15:20

Hi Bidouille!

Wynn's additive is an antifriction.

Hi chatelot!

I can confirm that there is a difference on an injection petrol, I do not have a flow meter on my Chrysler cars as some have, the vacuum sensor reacted faster for the position of the throttle sensor but it is the hot air that has the most influence on the economy on the road, in town is the gear changes at lower revs where the economy is found.

It should be noted that these are high torque, large displacement motors.
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.

Criticism is good if added to some compliments.

Alain
Flytox

by Flytox » 07/03/13, 20:26

On my somewhat rustic atmospheric R19 Diesel : Mrgreen: (low pressure injection), the air filter very dirty and or a significant restriction (to increase the depression of the Gillier Pantone) does not change anything in fuel consumption up to around 110 km / h.
(Not tried above). The air temperature up to 72 ° does nothing visible either! : Shock: : Mrgreen:

Assumption: The air that does not fit under the various restrictions allows the engine to absorb less power at compression, so the difference in efficiency and consumption will not be very large ...
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
AXEAU
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by AXEAU » 07/03/13, 21:35

Hi,
Alain I have no doubt that you are saving by one means or another but in all injection systems we measure the mass of air entering the engine to adjust the amount of fuel.
The injection which you describe is with pressure / temperature admitted air and engine speed.
It is an indirect measurement system to determine the air mass.
So I am not convinced by the argument of breathing hot air to lower consumption.
It is certain that the calculator will reduce the inj time. but ultimately to maintain a certain speed you will accelerate a little more.
Other opinions if there are engine manufacturers?

jlg
0 x

Back to "Special motors, patents, fuel consumption reduction"