Improved aerodynamics of a car

Tips, advice and tips to lower your consumption, processes or inventions as unconventional engines: the Stirling engine, for example. Patents improving combustion: water injection plasma treatment, ionization of the fuel or oxidizer.
laurent_caen
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Improved aerodynamics of a car

by laurent_caen » 13/07/06, 00:58

hello I would like to improve the aerodynamics of my car, a ptite ford fiesta 1.1L 1994
it is not carinated under the floor at all, can I expect a noticeable improvement and what should I really do?
thank you in advance for your help
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 13/07/06, 18:27

1 / To be effective, you have to work in Souflerie ...

2 / Any modification will weigh down your vehicle ... :|

3 / A flat floor can cause engine heat dissipation problems and store sludge and chippings thrown by the wheels = unwanted "ballast" buildup.

It is better to buy a car known for its aerodynamics than to try to modify a car with aerodynamics of some kind.

For example, I think a Citroën AX (0.31 cx) is more aerodynamic than a Fiesta.
In addition, the Citroën has been designed for exceptional overall performance;
Aerodynamics, weights, "green" (and narrow) tires, minimum engines ...
This allowed the citroën to claim consumptions reccord (3.8L diesel 100Km) at the time.
In return, the finish is summary, as well as the equipment (no power steering, abs ...) and structural stiffness "optimized" :|
0 x
laurent_caen
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by laurent_caen » 14/07/06, 00:17

yes I know that the Ax is probably the most fuel-efficient car ever built, unfortunately I'm not lucky enough to own one.
besides, I always thought it would be interesting or even very interesting from an ecological point of view to buy an old Ax and to graft a recent engine; like that, we take advantage of the aerodynamics and the extreme lightness of the car with a modern engine and therefore with better efficiency; moreover, it reduces the volume of waste because we must not forget, when we buy a new car, even if it proves less polluting for the use than the one it replaces, its manufacture AND its elimination will require additional pollution. So for me, the good eco-citizen approach would be to recycle some old cars (the lightest and aerodynamic) by grafting them a modern engine, this especially as the weight of the cars keeps on increasing and it It would be particularly interesting to know how much an Ax ptite uses with a modern direct injection engine. Now is that always possible I do not know, I call to you to confirm or confirm me.
0 x
laurent_caen
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by laurent_caen » 14/07/06, 00:27

PS: that said, if it turns out that the loremo will be marketed, I jump on it right away; on the other hand, I regret that it is not expected gasoline version, on this type of vehicle, I do not think the conversion to diesel is very interesting because the diesel is longer to heat and therefore the overconsumption in the city more important .
0 x
Other
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 14/07/06, 13:23

Hello,
This is not the finding that it is in a cold country
The consomation diesel varies little with road and city (20% winter)
On a gasoline car in winter driving city is almost double on 3,8 liter engine on the road it was down to the 8,2 liters in the city in winter it exceeds 14 liters and yet it plug on supplies (element heater that heats the engine block) easier to start and faster heating to the windows.

Andre
0 x
pluesy
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by pluesy » 14/07/06, 16:18

I agree with you andré a diesel is more economical even if it heats up less quickly than an escence especially in town and on short trips (<15 km)

before I had a bx caburee 1600 escence on big trip (800km) I was doing 7L / 100
in town 11L / 100 (auto choke disconnected (throttle locked in open position maxi) because it was at least 15 L / 100) : Shock:

now I have a bx break (a little heavier is a little less aerodynamic) 1.9 diesel without turbo and I made 6.3L / 100 in town! (I have not yet had the opportunity to test on a big trip but I think it must be done in 5L / 100)
0 x

"There are only two infinite things, the universe and human stupidity ... but for the world, I have no absolute certainty."
[Albert Einstein]
laurent_caen
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by laurent_caen » 14/07/06, 23:26

yes but I still say that for small trips, overconsumption diesel is more important because longer to heat
otherwise, my hypothesis of "recycling" old cars does not meet many echoes visibly? : Lol:
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 15/07/06, 00:33

laurent_caen wrote:otherwise, my hypothesis of "recycling" old cars does not meet many echoes visibly? : Lol:

A modern engine is equipped with many accessories that will be difficult to house in an AX;
- Catalytic converter
-Canister for recycling gasoline vapors
-EGR valve
- Etc.
Modern groups also have all peripherals (steering pump, air compressor ...) that are difficult to remove because they serve as pulleys for other accessories (water pump, alternator ...).

Of course all these modifications will have a detrimental influence on the weight ...
If the AX is a good base of work ... it is to do experiments with the Pantone (or similar) and for use of (rare) electric models.
0 x
laurent_caen
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by laurent_caen » 15/07/06, 00:46

no, all the Ax (from 92 I think) have a catalylitic pot since it became mandatory from that time
as for him add the equipment of today's cars such as air conditioning, it is of course NOT QUESTION !! otherwise, it does not have any interest if it is to weigh it down !! now is it possible to graft any modern engine without touching the rest, I'm not sure but a priori ...
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 15/07/06, 01:01

Honestly, I do not think a modern engine is more economical than a vintage engine.
In addition to limit certain pollutants has changed the wealth of fuel / injection which often caused increases in consumption.
Citroen VISA (super E), AMI 8, LN, AMI 6 is even some GS had very low consumptions. 8)
On the other hand, the performances ... :|
I had a ZX 1.4L gasoline, and there, the weight and the rest ... the conso was always superior to 9L and often more than 10L to cents. : Evil:
0 x