Improved ignition

Tips, advice and tips to lower your consumption, processes or inventions as unconventional engines: the Stirling engine, for example. Patents improving combustion: water injection plasma treatment, ionization of the fuel or oxidizer.
MichelM
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by MichelM » 20/09/05, 14:25

I propose an improvement that I have tested 2 times on motorcycles. The ignition wires (HT) and the suppressors or even the spark plugs are often electrically resistant to reduce the current and therefore the parasites. I found that by replacing the resistant wires with silicone-insulated HT wires with copper core, and the suppressors (2 or 3 kohm) by sealed copper caps I decreased the consumption by about 10%. I did it on 500's 1994 mono Gilera (that was more because the Bosch suppressor made 1 Mohm!) And on a 650 BMW F1999 mono (double ignition).
There is also the possibility of sheathing HT wires with a metal braid to create a shield and HT capacitor that also improves ignition. This is the US method: Nology. I tried these son in frequency lab etc. it is only shielded wires so with a small capacity between the HT and the mass ... The braid must be grounded at one end if not induction and electrical risk!
A friend tested the Nology threads on 2 motorcycles (996 Ducati and 125 cross) with a gain in flexibility.
NGK power curve in support considers that there is nothing to gain by removing the resistant suppressors, I do not agree with them for consumption.
To follow I will try on a 900 Triumph 1994 whose ignition seems to me a little fair ...
Michel
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 20/09/05, 14:34

In the same genre there is the spark gap ... a "capacitor" craft (2 plate close together) set on the ignition wire (it may be the capacitor you talk about?) That makes the electrons in "air" which would change their property ... Apparently it improves the ignition capacity of the spark.

I think it's used in compete but not on ...
0 x
SixK
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by SixK » 20/09/05, 15:19

On my R21 I think I have reduced my consumption by about 0,4l / 100Km (7,6l places 8l / 100Km) using NGK spark plugs and silicone Beru ignition cables ...

The NGK are set to 5000 Ohm it seems to me that other brands especially cheap stuff can easily 25000 Ohm ....

With the cables béru and more, I feel that the motor is more linear power.

Good to say that with almost 200 000Km my original ignition cables was a bit dead;) it could only do good;)

On my 125cc, I just put a NGK candle tip fine irridium ... I gained power compared to my original candle that was fouled during the break-in, now compared to an original candle new, I do not think I would have had a difference ... the only thing is that the fine tip candle is self-cleaning more easily so I always have top performance;)
I won nothing in conso on my 125cc ... But anyway it behaves well on / off so that's normal ... I would like to change the ignition cable on my 125cc, but it takes tinker then bof ...

SixK
0 x
Optimists invented airplanes, parachutes pessimistic. George Bernard Shaw.
Thought personal, I understand better why the big bosses invented the golden parachute.
Other
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 20/09/05, 18:43

Hello,
Electronic ignition or high energy ignition.
What you need to know: resistant wires, or resistances in candles
are the only way to prevent the metal candle wire behaves like an antenna and radia a wave broad spectrum in radios, it was the principle of the first radios. This resistance to high voltage and milliamperes is very negligible,
Qaund we talk about thread of candle it is especially the insulation of the threads which poses problem and the leaks.
On the ignition wires of planes, the wire is made of silicone the inner wire is spiral like a spring and the wire is shielded (shielder) copper braid, the candles are also all metal porcelain is inside.
When modifying a system on an airplane to replace it with high energy (illegales except experimental construction) it is necessary to change the wiring and the candles because it does not support this high voltage 30000volts and more. moreover in flight in high altitude the lack of air (which is an insulator) requires special candles on the planes without which the sparks jump in the futs of the candles ...
Why high energy ignition allows economy, it allows to make long sparks of 1mm and more, a warmer spark train
this makes it possible to light a poorer mixture without any lack.
This decreases the rate of combustion so the advance,
to increase the efficiency of an engine it is important to increase the combustion rate, without any detonation, it is not an explosive.
For the do-it-yourselfer, who is not a scientist, this can be seen when one can decrease the ignition advance without losing power because the combustion rate has increased. The turbulence generator also acts on the rate of combustion.
Currently it is relatively easy to equip an old screwed motor with this system, I put on several boats 8litres V6,6
The difference is blatant power output, we do not talk about saving on rowboats like that, it does not drink nearly.
To use the very high voltage, you can not use the distributor anymore, the insulation is not enough anymore, you have to make an assembly with multiple coils
which feeds two cylinders at once one in compression, the other in exhaust, or a coil per cylinder, with a very short wire that avoids leakage losses.
Often the old carbon thread cuts inside, but it is the insulation the problem.
Andre
0 x
MichelM
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by MichelM » 21/09/05, 09:58

Effectively these elements (son etc.) are resistant to reduce the current and the wave emitted so the parasites. For the shielding braid (like Nology planes and wires) there is no priming (fortunately) between it and the HT because this equivalent capacitor is in parallel with the spark plug. It seems that this capacitor improves the duration of the spark (LC oscillating circuit ignition coil condo in high school ...?) But I have not measured it on an engine yet.
I also seem to have seen a montage (US) with a real HT capacitor mounted at the level of the candle.
For pre-sparkers in series, in fact this already exists in the old head of Delco (the distributor) it increases the rise in voltage until the breakdown provided that the insulators hold the ...
I also realized for an old (1970) Mercedes 280SEL 3,5l (V8 200CV) Bosch injection and electronic ignition a high energy capacitor discharge electronic ignition (40kV maxi and 120mJ up to 6500 rpm) that allowed it works perfectly with gas (LPG, because gas is an insulator compared to air plus gasoline) and decreased consumption (test for one year and about 30 000 km) from about 5 to 10% but especially the engine took the maximum speed even by increasing the play at the electrodes contrary to the origin where it was necessary to decrease it for a operation approximately correct ...
Casually a lot of time spent to develop it (power MOSFET transistors, 80 VA transformer, control circuit, etc. to recharge the 1,5 microF condo in 1,5 ms to 400V). The montages or kit trade in France were far from these performances.
Michel
0 x
wirbelwind262
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by wirbelwind262 » 21/09/05, 18:06

Hello !
how much do you get this ignition, michelm?
Irridium candle question, motorcycle review or motorcycle newspaper did a comparative test with the original candle: the record is not terrible, almost all
the motorcycles equipped with irridium have an increase of conso for not much more on the curve of power, but the irridium candles lasts longer (considering the price ...)!
@ + and good luck!
0 x
MichelM
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by MichelM » 21/09/05, 23:14

What cost me the most is the transformer 80 6 / 220 22 22 euros, the box aluminum 1,5 waterproof 400 euros, and after the 500 2,5 microF 2 V 1,6 euros minimum, the rest is negligible (60 MOSFET to XNUMX maximum euro) etc. So the unit about XNUMX euros and a lot of time of development, tests, components burned or unsuitable!
0 x
wirbelwind262
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by wirbelwind262 » 28/09/05, 17:57

HELLO !
do you have a definitive schema of your system?
for the trigger of the spark, re-use screws platinum (is there)?
or do you have a Hall effect sensor?
@ + and good luck!
0 x
MichelM
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by MichelM » 29/09/05, 07:06

Yes necessarily I have my scheme that is not definitive evolving technology, and we must adapt according to the characteristics of the engine (number of coils, maximum speed etc.). But I keep it! I use platinum screws or other systems this is only a matter of shaping the input signal, but I do not subsist in advance variable specific to each engine. I am rated power.
0 x