Stirling solar

Tips, advice and tips to lower your consumption, processes or inventions as unconventional engines: the Stirling engine, for example. Patents improving combustion: water injection plasma treatment, ionization of the fuel or oxidizer.
Teji
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Stirling solar

by Teji » 09/05/17, 11:45

Hello to you,

I am looking for a simple and compact way to test solar Stirling, and I arrived on the following concept, on the idea of ​​using kind of chillers or 'heatsink' with fins / spikes. it's like a beta, where the rhomboid is replaced by a cam: it seems easier to do (including printing 3D ...). The cam is associated, as you can imagine, with a generator.
The upper radiator type pins (2 series of grooves 90 °) is subjected to concentrated solar (here in red to symbolize hot, but painted matte black). Its underside is also grooved for better heat diffusion, with a draft to chase the air, the dead volume is reduced to a minimum. Same thing below ...
The displacer is made of 2 40mm separated parts of rockwool, with a chamfer that allows the gas to pass in bottom of grooves towards the other face. The perimeter is occupied by stainless steel straw which acts as a regenerator.
The working piston at the bottom is equipped with a cooling block like watercooling.
All in a 'shirt' in stainless steel tube 200mm type fumistery.
The displacer and the piston are guided by a cylindrical cam. 2 sinusoidal per turn, for 2 symmetrical supports. The offset here is 45 °, could be set to 40 ° to correspond to the # 80 ° of the classical beta rhomboid.
We can envisage a double groove to control separately the kinematics of the displacer and the piston, and to optimize the Stirling cycle ...

Does this approach seem consistent to you? I am curious about your critics ;-)

in animation ...
1 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Stirling for solar

by chatelot16 » 09/05/17, 18:56

the idea of ​​putting fins in the hot part and in the cold part has already passed me by the head ... but it is not necessarily the best: another solution is to put a heat exchanger hot between the hot cylinder and regenerator ... and a cold heat exchanger between the regenerator and the cold cylinder

by reflecting well it is not once the gas is in the volume above the displacer that it must be heated: it is better to heat it out of the regenerator to be sure that the volume above the displacer fills only with hot gas

advantage of heating by an exchanger and not by something integrated in the mechanical: the ecahngeur can rise in temperature to the limit of the behavior of the materials without fear of dilation and deformation, which is not the case of fin in a cylinder head to fit the piston

remains the main problem: find a profitable application to the stirling: for the solar the stirling has lost all the battle: the photovoltaic is the reasonable price, the stirling has more no chance to be profitable

for the average temperature like steam boiler the steam engines definitely won: more powerful for the same size ... or smaller and cheaper for the same power

for temperature or water vapor is not optimum there are the refrigerant gases of the heat pumps: the operation of refrigerating machine is comparable to the stirling: one could make refrigerating machine stirling: if one does not make it for the refrigerator or the freezer is that the stirling is more expensive

there is cold stirling for gas liquefaction: I saw a description of a stirling to make liquid nitrogen at the University of Strasbourg: a stirling made by philips, not a DIY, but a trick perfectly studied ... precisely with hot and cold part by exchanger
0 x
Teji
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Teji » 10/05/17, 11:46

Thank you chatelot16 for these constructive remarks!

I start by replacing the main frame ...
remains the main problem: find a profitable application to the stirling: for the solar the stirling has lost all the battle: the photovoltaic is the reasonable price, the stirling has more no chance to be profitable

my problem is not industrial, it is that I can not manufacture myself of photovoltaic cell!
seem to me more affordable of this type of work, slow motors (qqs Hz), diameter #1m in order of magnitude
wholesale test Stirling low temp. : 2kW solar (not or little concentrated)
SunPulse 500w
in the meantime, getting your hands on a small system sharpens my curiosity ...

the idea of ​​putting fins in the hot part and in the cold part has already passed me by the head ... but it is not necessarily the best: another solution is to put a heat exchanger hot between the hot cylinder and regenerator ... and a cold heat exchanger between the regenerator and the cold cylinder
by reflecting well it is not once the gas is in the volume above the displacer that it must be heated: it is better to heat it out of the regenerator to be sure that the volume above the displacer fills only with hot gas
advantage of heating by an exchanger and not by something integrated in the mechanical: the ecahngeur can rise in temperature to the limit of the behavior of the materials without fear of dilation and deformation, which is not the case of fin in a cylinder head to fit the piston

these remarks are very coherent, but the gain in performance a - a priori - for corollary complexity to the realization: I seek a realization as simple as possible ... but I will dig ...

for the average temperature like steam boiler the steam engines definitely won: more powerful for the same size ... or smaller and cheaper for the same power

this can be a track: the concentrated solar allows to reach good temperatures, and to pass water in vapor phase (the first engine above turns to 180 °)

for temperature or water vapor is not optimum there are the refrigerant gases of the heat pumps: the operation of refrigerating machine is comparable to the stirling: one could make refrigerating machine stirling: if one does not make it for the refrigerator or the freezer is that the stirling is more expensive

not possible for me to 'tinker' with refrigerated gases: - /
The current non-use of the Stirling for these uses is due to the ease and silence of the electric motor coupled to a refrigerator compressor, sealed and super-reliable.

there is cold stirling for gas liquefaction: I saw a description of a stirling to make liquid nitrogen at the University of Strasbourg: a stirling made by philips, not a DIY, but a trick perfectly studied ... precisely with hot and cold part by exchanger

to my knowledge, the super-cold is the domain of Stirling ...
I saw a small group Stirling free piston used in coolers: more effective and powerful than a Peltier!
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 10/05/17, 12:15

Teji wrote:I saw a small group Stirling free piston used in coolers: more effective and powerful than a Peltier!
More effective, yes.
More powerful ... not really: this Stirling weighs 1,9 kg for a thermal power of 40W (and a consumption of 50W) while this Peltier module weighs 1,8 kg for the same power (and a consumption of 70W).

A comparable power, the Stirling is much noisier, complex (not to mention the control electronics) and expensive than a Peltier ...

In the end, the Stirling is justified by the other solutions only by its high efficiency ... which requires a high precision construction (and generally a Helium operation, or even Hydrogen).
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 11/05/17, 00:00

Hello,
A peltier of 40 w will have difficulty maintaining + 4 ° by an outside temperature of 25 ° (beer pump), while a stirling cooler is able to maintain a temperature of -40 ° with 48W of consumption http://fpsc.twinbird.jp/legacy/en/catalog_SC-DF25.pdf
But not within the reach of all scholarships https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008B ... ullets-btf

A consumer model freezer - 18 ° per outdoor temperature of 30 ° http://fpsc.twinbird.jp/legacy/en/sc_c925_box_e.html
By cons, I did not find his price or if it was marketed?
0 x