Global warming: the winemakers worry

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
recyclinage
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Global warming: the winemakers worry

by recyclinage » 13/08/09, 10:16

Global warming :
the vine growers are worried
Delphine Chayet
13 / 08 / 2009 | Updated: 09: 17 | Add to my selection

According to these professionals, the taste of wine has already changed and the increase in temperatures will change the traditional grape varieties.

They are fifty winemakers, chefs, oenologists or sommeliers and, as such, ardent defenders of French terroirs. Their signatures appear at the bottom of a "solemn appeal" to the President of the Republic and the Minister of the Environment, a few months from the Copenhagen conference on climate. "Global warming is making vines more and more vulnerable," they write in this forum of the World. As flagships of our cultural heritage, French wines, elegant and refined, are today in danger. "

According to these professionals, the taste of wine has already begun to change. Harvest dates have been steadily advanced over the last 30 years, and the sun is charging the grapes with sugar. "Warming gives wines more spicy and rich, with higher alcohol content," says sommelier Franck Thomas. They are wines that are less digestible, less fine and less pleasant to drink on a daily basis. "As temperatures rise, this phenomenon is accentuated. In the long term, the French wine list will be profoundly modified. Controlled appellations of origin will be upset.

Vineyards in Brittany

"In forty or fifty years, the pinot noir or the Riesling as they are made today in Burgundy and Alsace will for example have disappeared," predicts Franck Thomas. By that date, new wine regions could be created in Brittany and Normandy, but also in England. "If nothing is done to reduce greenhouse gases, the vines will move 1 000 km beyond their traditional limits by the end of the century," warns Anaïz Parfait, Greenpeace. According to Jean-Pierre Chabin, a geographer at the University of Burgundy, "we can think that there will be vineyards in southern Sweden and Scotland".

But for Jean-Philippe Bret, producer at Domaine de la Soufrandière, in southern Burgundy, "what makes the specificity of a local wine is not only the climate, but also soils, an exhibition and a know how. Because this conjunction is impossible to find elsewhere, we will never make Burgundy elsewhere than in Burgundy.

It is to avoid this scenario that chef Marc Veyrat, sommelier Antoine Petrus and the Zind Humbrecht estates in Alsace and Selosse en Champagne have joined their names. All hope for the signing in Copenhagen of an "ambitious agreement", "committing industrialized countries to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions by at least 40% by 2020".

Curb the news source
0 x
vtajmb
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by vtajmb » 14/08/09, 04:20

yes, the climate is changing; no, it's not fucking good wine, not too heavy, in Burgundy or elsewhere; just make arrangements to adapt to climate change: play on the drop shadow, planting density, exposed leaf area, etc ...
NB: I do consulting in viticulture. There are many more small winemakers than small vineyards ... Mediocrity is as common in this business as the rest of the population!
0 x
JMB
C moa
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by C moa » 14/08/09, 08:54

It is true that French wines have a real specificity but here in Italy, it is much hotter than in France and they also have very good wines (you have to look a little but they exist).

Indeed, the taste often has nothing to do with ours (I'm not trying to compare them, it was a mistake), they are also often more alcoholic.

For example, I did not drink very long ago a dry white wine from the Marche region. Served fresh with a fish it's great, it was 14.5 ° ....
0 x
It is difficult to single !!!
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/08/09, 10:05

Has there been just one year since 50 years when farmers in one or the other French department did not complain about the climate?

They always have something to say ...

ps: a topic on the subject had already been created by elephant https://www.econologie.com/forums/climat-les ... t8175.html
Last edited by Christophe the 14 / 08 / 09, 11: 12, 1 edited once.
0 x
C moa
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by C moa » 14/08/09, 11:11

Christophe wrote:Has there been just one year since 50 years when farmers in one or the other French department did not complain about the climate?
+1
0 x
It is difficult to single !!!
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 14/08/09, 13:36

Recy, be careful, I had already started the debate on 11 August.

https://www.econologie.com/forums/post136332.html#136332

the only real explanation is that these professionals fear the arrival of Belgian wine on the market! :D
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Flytox

by Flytox » 14/08/09, 13:51

Christophe wrote:Has there been just one year since 50 years when farmers in one or the other French department did not complain about the climate?

They always have something to say ...

Except that when the time comes for the harvest and the balance sheets and it is necessary to prepare for future sales, the speech becomes: "We had an exceptional year!" .

Evil tongues will say that the "exceptional" quality of the land, if it has not been given by the weather, it will be overtaken by the overtime of the chemists ... : Mrgreen: But each year will be an exceptional year willingly or by force or without the knowledge of its own free will! : Mrgreen:
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/08/09, 14:51

elephant wrote:the only real explanation is that these professionals fear the arrival of Belgian wine on the market! :D

Hihihih, did you see my answer about that? : Cheesy:
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 14/08/09, 15:41

C moa wrote:It is true that French wines have a real specificity but here in Italy, it is much hotter than in France and they also have very good wines (you have to look a little but they exist).

Indeed, the taste often has nothing to do with ours (I'm not trying to compare them, it was a mistake), they are also often more alcoholic.

For example, I did not drink very long ago a dry white wine from the Marche region. Served fresh with a fish it's great, it was 14.5 ° ....

It's the ink bottle here. We could continually expand on the qualities of Spanish Tempranillos, Bulgarian wines (Mavrud, Assenovgrad), Hungarian etc., etc ....
That said there is a real econological problem: equivalent taste quality, how is it that a red Chilean cabernet arrives at Aldi 6,95 cubi of 3 liters while it takes 10,50 for the same amount of French wine , Spanish or Italian. Who gets sugar? Who is exploited?

(Weighting: Aldi has only one type of wine in cubis and it is shelves in whole pallets)
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/08/09, 15:48

elephant wrote:Who gets sugar? Who is exploited?

Image response: https://www.econologie.com/societes-de-c ... -4124.html
0 x