Telework harmful to the greenhouse effect?

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
Christophe

Telework harmful to the greenhouse effect?

by Christophe » 27/05/07, 22:02

This is what an English study tries to prove, sorry but I force myself hard I have a hard time believing: the blow of the teapot shared and ditto for electricity (forcing a shared electricity rejects less of CO2 ...) are just laughable ...

It seems the perfect combination of consciousness and convenience, but working from home can not be so good for the planet after all.

In fact, the growing numbers of people in the world could be contributing to global warming, research shows.

They typically produce almost a third carbon dioxide in a year than staff based in offices.
advertisement

The conclusions will be made by the government of the world, and they will be encouraged to do so.

More than 3.4 million people, about 12 per cent of the work force, now regularly work from home. But research from WSP Environmental, a firm of independent consultants, found that while home workers can save carbon emissions by not commuting, the extra heating and power they can outweigh the benefits.

In an office, heating and electricity are shared.

David Symons, the director of corporate services at WSP Environmental, said: "In homes it is rarely possible just to switch the heating on in one room, so people are heating a whole house through the day in the winter, which uses a lot of power.

"Even boiling a kettle for one person instead of a few people can increase inefficiency. Encouraging home working is seen as a quick win for companies trying to reduce their carbon emissions, but it is not that simple. "

The research was working at the time of the summer when it was possible to reduce carbon dioxide emissions.

2.38 tones of carbon dioxide, 1.68 tones of carbon per year.

Helped by computers and modern telecommunications, working with people and working together. The number of home workers has risen by more than half a million in 10 years.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.j ... work27.xml
0 x
Superform
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Superform » 29/05/07, 08:34

Example:

I work at home.

It's nice, I do not drink coffee ...
Only the PC is on, it would be also at work!

In addition, as I do not have another office, I have a rent / subscription web / edf / phone less!
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 29/05/07, 10:07

Apart from the kettle, you still have to think 2 times, especially on its own net financial profit.

you work at home (take the example of the Alsatian or Belgian climate),
if you are not careful, it's still easy 1000 liters of oil / year and up to 128 kW / h of lighting (2 fluorescent tubes) and more on your budget.
So you have to really compare it on a case-by-case basis and do not hesitate to modify your heating system, isolate the room where you are working, repaint it so that it is clear, etc.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/05/07, 10:26

No, no and no Elephant ...

1) At home you can put a big sweater to work what is difficult for business executives. You can choose to adjust your temperature as you want it (hardly the case in offices, especially in open space), you can work in the most enlightened room, you do not necessarily have coffee poses and especially, especially: you rarely a crap of air conditioning at home ... unlike 95% desktop equipped with PC I bet ...

2) The house must be kept warm (16 °) whether you are there or not ...

3) Finally, remember that the average distance between work and home French is 23km ... and from the nose and according to my knowledge Belgian, I bet that those of the Belgians is even higher ...
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 29/05/07, 11:51

I said, case by case!
23 km on average is probably true, but there are also many people who have only 5 or 6 km to go by bus.

Heating an entire house to 20 ° instead of 16 ° during office hours usually costs 1000 liter of fuel per year, not all houses being well insulated.

And do not believe that bobonne can be cluttered his living: so often change (not necessarily heavily) the heating system pcq many people are cold at 20 °, even with a sweater.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/05/07, 12:24

elephant wrote:23 km on average is probably true, but there are also many people who have only 5 or 6 km to go by bus.

So what? You're delirious !! : Evil:

It remains 23 km on average for 27 Million assets ( http://www.insee.fr/fr/ffc/chifcle_fich ... tab_id=317 ) So it made 23 * 27 * 2 = 1242 Million km.passager traveled per day to just go work ... almost 10 times the distance Earth Sun ...

Point bar!

During this study: https://www.econologie.com/les-transport ... es-27.html , I had "fun" calculating the km traveled per day on the main axes of the urban area of ​​Strasbourg for a month of July .... Result: 2 Million km.vehicle per day ...

elephant wrote:Heating an entire house to 20 ° instead of 16 ° during office hours usually costs 1000 liter of fuel per year, not all houses being well insulated.

It is well known that all offices are designed bio-climatic and heated by solar ... Pkoi you take only the arguments against the house?

Here and the sweater impossible to put in the office?
0 x
bolton069
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by bolton069 » 29/05/07, 13:09

Christophe wrote:No, no and no Elephant ...

3) Finally, remember that the average distance between work and home French is 23km ... and from the nose and according to my knowledge Belgian, I bet that those of the Belgians is even higher ...

I remember a study published a few years ago comparing the distance between home and work in European countries: the greatest distance: IN BELGIUM. (I did not find it against this study)

My explanation: country too small, and super dense in highways, so we hardly ever move when we change jobs; which is less the case in France for example: The Paris-Marseille shuttle does not do it too much.

: Mrgreen:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/05/07, 13:18

Oh well, thank you for this clarification!

I bet that the Belgian average is greater than 50km ... : Cry:

Otherwise here are the numbers for France:
https://www.econologie.com/forums/3-salaries ... t3375.html

On average, the distance from home to work in France is 25,9km, but it is less than 7,9km for half of the employees. Those who live in the urban centers work on average 23,6km from home, closer than those peri-urban areas (30,5km) or the predominantly rural area (28,4km). The inhabitants of the urban area of ​​Paris generally work closer to home than the inhabitants of other large urban areas with more than 200.000 inhabitants: 18,8km on average against 29,7km.

So it's not 23 km but 26 km ... but we're not ready! : Cheesy: On the other hand if we take the numbers to the letter:
25,9 on average, less than 7,9 km for 50% it means on average a distance greater than 43,9 km for other 50% ...
Last edited by Christophe the 29 / 05 / 07, 13: 25, 1 edited once.
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 29/05/07, 13:22

I am for telecommuting, I will gladly spend my 40 terminals per day.

The costs for the planet have nothing to do, whether we stay at home or move ... even in public transport (which mostly run on oil).

That said, the relational and social side of the workplace ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/05/07, 13:27

citro wrote:That said, the relational and social side of the workplace ...

+ 1 but it can be positive as negative ... but we deviate widely from the subject there :D
0 x

Back to "Climate Change: CO2, warming, greenhouse effect ..."