COP21: billionaires want to save the climate? Really?

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 30/11/15, 20:57

Bill Gates rallies a coalition of billionaires to develop clean energy

By Gabriel Simeon - 30 November 2015

The co-founder of Microsoft has announced a major investment project in "clean tech" funded by the big names of the Internet. Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook), Jeff Bezos (Amazon) and Xavier Niel (Free) are in the game.

Bill Gates, with Barack Obama and François Hollande, Monday at COP 21. Photo Jim Watson. AFP

http://www.liberation.fr/futurs/2015/11 ... es_1417307
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 01/12/15, 00:01

A coalition of billionaires wants to develop clean energy to continue salping the planet! : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 01/12/15, 00:25

It seems to me that we can make a comparison between the COP21 actors and the abolitionist northerners during the Civil War.
In short, it is a "fight" (shadow boxing), again, between agents of diversity (sustainable development and bankable) and compliance officers based on the "old model".
Except that here, the subtlety lies in the fact that both are mixed see play double games!
Aware that the all-fossil model is obsolete, it makes sense for its agents to promote the energy transition, in short "it's adapt or die".
By having total control as well financial as technological, his last ones have all the power to sell their oil stocks in the greenest possible way (sic!) And taking care not to limit the transition to the necessary necessary with the applause of civil society ...
From an economic point of view this time, the development of so-called sustainable energy will create among others beautiful bubbles! 8)
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 01/12/15, 08:17

A coalition of billionaires wants to develop clean energy to continue salping the planet!

excellent! : Cheesy:
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 01/12/15, 13:58

Thank you Janic!

The model based on fossil fuels is not so obsolete as that, even if it is condemned to term, but there is no possibility to develop really new products * in such a quantity as to make it possible to develop huge accumulation of capital, as happened in the recent past.
The "sustainable development" sector is therefore the only alternative, although it is probably quite insufficient to create illusions for long. For the model to continue, two conditions would have to be met which were not observed: a wave of unprecedented innovations and the possibility of the sale of the corresponding products.
I would add that, indeed, as you note, these sectors will not give rise to this dynamic of redistribution of the cards that may have played in the past, because it is the same players who try to play on both sides.

* For example, electric vehicles can be considered as a technical novelty, but in reality they will, in the best case, only replace current vehicles.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 01/12/15, 15:10

For example, electric vehicles can be considered as a technical novelty, but in reality they will, in the best case, only replace existing vehicles.
moreover, all electric would require huge amounts of copper for windings and therefore an explosion of its price followed by its rarity and return to square one.
Poor countries with a galloping population also want the "benefits" of the fairy electricity (which they will pay we know how?)
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 01/12/15, 15:20

Graphene can be used instead of copper?

But yes, at first this problem will arise (since it arises already ...)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 01/12/15, 15:42

Ahmed wrote:A coalition of billionaires wants to develop clean energy to continue salping the planet! : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:

I read this ... A nice joke in perspective, sorry to be "realistic" ...

I urge them to fund:

a) The water injection (houhou, I'm here ...)

b) Solar Concentration Plants, Desertec Project: https://www.econologie.com/forums/desertec-e ... t5338.html

c) PACES (Spontaneous Flow Heat Pump). I mentioned it here: https://www.econologie.com/forums/tribune-me ... tml#171629 (I'm going to make it a new topic because the official website does not exist anymore :( (well if but its content has been "emptied" ...)

d) Perrier Solar Hydrogen: https://www.econologie.com/forums/solaire-je ... t1520.html

Beware this may not please their billionaire friends ... All these solutions are rather against the consumer society ... but could be solutions to limit the damage of the climate (must know what we want ...)

But finally, after this announcement effect, I think that millions will be spent on very poor and expensive solutions (it's linked) at the global level ... but I can (I hope) be wrong. .
Last edited by Christophe the 01 / 12 / 15, 16: 00, 2 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 01/12/15, 15:51

0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 01/12/15, 18:29

Obamot wrote:Graphene can be used instead of copper?

But yes, at first this problem will arise (since it arises already ...)

The price of copper is in free fall.

Falling copper prices make the industry move

By Delamarche Blueberry - New Factory the 13 November 2015

Due to the slowdown in Chinese demand, copper has lost half of its value since 2011, returning in November under 5 000 dollars per ton. This drop in prices has consequences for both mining giants and processors in France.

Copper reached the November 12 its lowest price since May 2009. According to several analysts, this relapse is consecutive to the announcement by Beijing of disappointing statistics of investment, including among others the construction, strong consumer of red metal. China consumes about 45% of world copper. This decline reflects the conversion of the Chinese economy from investment to fixed assets towards a more sustained economy through services and consumption.

It is a long time ago, when the red metal, the muse of the super-cycle of raw materials, knew the 10 000 dollars a ton. Down from 20% since early 2015, it is even ironed from the 6 November under 5 000 dollars per ton, dividing its value by two since 2011.

Mining giants in trouble

Among the first victims of the fall in copper prices, the Chilean Coldelco was rescued in extremis at the end of October by his government, which accepted the principle of a record recapitalization. 600 million dollars will be injected into the public company to finance an investment plan to extend the operating life of existing deposits.

The market value of Glencore is also closely linked to that of copper. In its debt reduction plan, it is this metal that has suffered the most from production cuts: the Swiss raw materials giant announced the shutdown of mines in Africa, then the slowdown in production in Argentina and the sale of mining assets in Australia and Chile. However, the vast consolidation announced was not enough to reassure investors in the long term, and the Glencore share price continues to rock every time the price of copper stumbles.

Consequences in France

In France too, this collapse in the value of the red metal is causing casualties. After the announcement of the closing of KME in Givet (Ardennes), which will finally be taken over by the Finnish group Cupori, it is the last French laminator Griset who has just applied for placement in receivership after the banks refused him their support to face a cash crisis.

http://www.usinenouvelle.com/article/la ... re.N362795
0 x