Global collapse of ecosystems by 2100?

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
Christophe

Global collapse of ecosystems by 2100?

by Christophe » 27/07/12, 10:11

Sorry a news that will rot the day ... but the police?

The end of the planet in 2100?

This is the rumor that has ignited the Web for several weeks: the ecosystems of the planet could experience a total collapse and irreversible by 2100. At the origin of this apocalyptic prophecy, not a sect of illuminated, a medium lacking publicity or the latest American blockbuster in vogue. No, the allegation comes from a study of the very serious journal Nature, a reference among scientific publications. The thesis ? The environment, under the effect of man-made degradation, could cross a point of no return before the end of the century.

In the Approaching a state-shift in Earth's biosphere, the authors, 22 researchers belonging to about fifteen international scientific institutions, warn about a loss of biodiversity faster and faster climate change.

According to the study, almost half of the climates we know today on the Earth may soon be gone. They would be thus replaced, on between 12% to 39% of the surface of the globe, by conditions which have never been known by living organisms. And this change would be brutal, preventing species and ecosystems from adapting to it.

The upheavals of the natural environments have always existed, recalls the study, whether on a local scale - at the level of basins or coral reefs for example -, regional - 5 500 years ago, the Sahara consisted of fertile meadows - or planetary. The Earth has experienced seven major crises: the Cambrian explosion, there are 540 million years, the five massive extinctions that have destroyed for some up to 90% of life on Earth and the passage of the last ice age in our time there is 12 000 years ago.

But while the Cambrian explosion and Holocene warming were triggered by natural disasters, changes in ocean composition and solar intensity, new pressures are now being exerted on ecosystems: 7 billions of human beings - and 9 billion in 2050.

"When the planet went from an ice age to the present one, interglacial, the most extreme biological changes occurred in just a thousand years. On the scale of the Earth, it is like passing from the baby's condition to adulthood in less than a year. The problem is, the planet is changing even faster today, "says Arne Moers, study co-author and professor in biodiversity at Simon Fraser University in Vancouver.

And the researcher continues: "The planet does not have the memory of its previous state. We are taking an enormous risk in modifying the Earth's radiative balance: suddenly tilting the climate system towards a new state of equilibrium in which ecosystems and our societies will be unable to adapt. [...] The next change could be extremely destructive for the planet. Once the critical threshold is passed, there will be no turning back. "

According to the study, this threshold corresponds to the use of 50% of terrestrial resources. Today, however, 43% of terrestrial ecosystems are already used to support men. One-third of the available freshwater is diverted for human use. Species extinction rates are at record highs throughout human evolution - from 10 to 100 times the natural extinction rate found by scientists over a period of 500 million years, while it could be 10 000 sooner. And CO2 emissions have increased by 35% since the pre-industrial era due to the burning of fossil fuels.

The evolution of land use over the centuries, as the world population increases:

"In view of these elements, we can say that a shift is very plausible during the next century", assures Anthony Barnosky, paleobiologist at the University of California at Berkeley. However, significant uncertainties remain: "The question is whether this global shift is inevitable and, if so, how soon will it take place."

A caution shared by many scientists who have read the study. For Brad Cardinal, a biologist at the University of Michigan, interviewed by the American magazine Wired, this research is convincing but not conclusive: "This is not the first time that a study of the kind has been published. Only time will allow us. whether these results hold true or not. " "We must be wary of the interpretation which is made of it in certain media, according to which the Earth may not reach the XXIIth century. The planet will not disappear for 4 billion years and it will remain habitable for a long time to come. the current degradations will affect our living conditions ", tempers for his part the climatologist Jean-Pascal van Ypersele, vice-president of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) in an interview with the Belgian magazine Le Vif / L'Express.

Still, a truly change of lifestyle is necessary and urgent. The 22 scientists of the study propose to governments to undertake four immediate actions: drastically reduce the demographic pressure; to concentrate the populations on the areas already recording high densities in order to let the other territories try to find natural balances; adjust the living standards of the richest to those of the poorest; develop new technologies to produce and distribute new food resources without consuming more resources.

Audrey Garric

Source: http://ecologie.blog.lemonde.fr/2012/07 ... e-en-2100/
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 27/07/12, 10:34

Gordon rattray Taylor in the 70 years and in his book the Last Judgment (reference to the Apocalypse of the NT of the Bible) had engaged in a prospective on the future of the planet from the elements possessed at that time and the point of no return was, roughly speaking, before 2000 and he was in an optimistic vision! The beginning of a real awareness has been made too late and is still very shy, but we must accept our mistakes regardless of the price.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 27/07/12, 20:08

I do not believe in an awareness, even in its infancy, only in an anguish generated by the impossibility of realizing the fantasies of "progress" and the equal inability to give it up ...

The thread on "An econologist in Ouest-France" perfectly illustrates this contradictory double imperative!

The discourse on "sustainable development" (as well as everything that revolves around it) is the mystification developed to make believe in a reconciliation of opposites ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 28/07/12, 08:07

Ahmed wrote:I do not believe in an awareness, even in its infancy, only in an anguish generated by the impossibility of realizing the fantasies of "progress" and the equal inability to give it up ...

The thread on "An econologist in Ouest-France" perfectly illustrates this contradictory double imperative!

The discourse on "sustainable development" (as well as everything that revolves around it) is the mystification developed to make believe in a reconciliation of opposites ...

: Cheesy: Ahmed, for once I understood you, and I agree with you.
In short, it would take a miracle to redress the situation.
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 28/07/12, 10:32

I do not believe in an awareness, even in its infancy, only in an anguish generated by the impossibility of realizing the fantasies of "progress" and the equal inability to give it up ...

one does not prevent the other! We navigate in the classic: carrot or stick.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 28/07/12, 11:12

@ The middleI am very happy! 8) The miracle would be an in-depth understanding of the reality of the situation and above all a lucidity sufficient to understand the intensity of our shunting. The action would then flow practically from itself ...

@Janic: I unfortunately do not understand your answer; if you could enlighten me a little more ...Image
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 28/07/12, 15:18

Le_Juste_Milieu wrote:
Janic wrote:Gordon Rattray Taylor in the 70 years and in his book The Last Judgment (reference to the Apocalypse of the NT of the Bible) had engaged in a prospective on the future of the planet from the elements possessed at that time and the point of no return was, roughly, before 2000 and he was in an optimistic vision! The beginning of a real awareness has been made too late and is still very shy, but we must accept our mistakes regardless of the price.

it would take a miracle to redress the situation.

If scientists think of Nostradamus, where are we going? At somewhere I think, no doubt, like you. These people are enlightened by their knowledge and they would like the ruling spheres to follow their studies and accelerate reforms to prevent civilization from reaching the point of no return.

Point of no return already reached ...! It is finally reached a little more every day, because as everyone knows here, the greed of man is too great for a planet too small for what it has to offer. Therefore, the "point of no return" depends on the point of view of the interested parties. And whatever one may say, these are short-sighted interests, especially on the scale of 4 billion years of accumulated capital!

I am very skeptical when we see what happened in France, or despite the election of a "normal president of the left", the French woke up with the biggest slap in the business of dismissals of the PSA group ...

Thus, nothing can change in the immediate future, so no more tomorrow than today. The same was true of the disappointment of Obama's election, when it was hoped that the rule of law would return across the Atlantic: bin Ladden's botched execution showed the opposite. No trial, no witness, no proof! In one operation, this President has ruined the credibility America could have, and at the same time, the floating debris of international law. And especially big straightener of the moribund American automotive industry ...

No, it will not be the end of ecosystems in less than a century, I think they mean by that, that it should be done now to hope to change the trend in a century ...!

I think that it would be urgent to follow them without delay ...!

It moves, but slowly. Right circles - always with the same hypocrisy - fall back on the paradigm that initiatives and reforms come spontaneously from companies themselves, as usual ...

Ahmed wrote:I do not believe in an awareness, even in its infancy, only in an anguish generated by the impossibility of realizing the fantasies of "progress" and the equal inability to give it up ...

Here, a situation that I have been observing for a few years and which illustrates this tango movement.
To be certain of the current trend and its contradictions, it is enough to see the unprecedented development of public transport in the Swiss cities, the establishment of the Bombardier flagship company of the construction of railway trains in Vevey at the end of Lake Geneva is proof, his order book is full ... there is no hesitation, we know that the peak oil approaching fast ...
However, at the same time, the explosion in prices at the pump is accepted by governments without flinching since the danger of the end of oil has been brandishing us for at least ten years - even though we are far from the end, since the outlook for oil reserves has even increased since the 1998 estimates! - So the explosion in sales of private vehicles in China must delight shareholders ...? And with us, we are "delighted" with the restart of the Crissier refinery ...!

And come what may.

But it is not so much a lack of lucidity as a statement of impotence, amha.

What is blocking are the international organizations, starting with the WTO. Because as long as the decisions will be the fruit of bargaining between "accomplices" each pulling the cover to him. The situation will be eternally blocked. And as long as this situation does not affect citizens' wallets more, people will not take to the streets and politics will only try to stay the same or similar ...

Yes, there is nothing to be optimistic about!
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 28/07/12, 17:59

... and they would like the ruling spheres to follow suit and speed up reforms to prevent civilization from reaching the point of no return.

Why should we expect such a flip-flop from people who have always deployed all their energy in the sense we know and have excellent reasons to do so?

On your skepticism by contributing to Obama and this is the advantage of my pessimism: I'm not disappointed! 8)

Further:
And as long as this situation will not affect the citizens' wallets, people will not go down the street ...

This is a serious mistake in my opinion: as long as the economic factor prevails no real change can occur, and if people continue to think with their wallet they will continue to be the dupes of those who handle this parameter well better than them ...
Playing a game whose rules are changed as and when it's done by your partner is lost in advance!
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 30/07/12, 07:38

the advantage of ecological pessimism is that we can only have good surprises!
Often it is not pessimism but rather realism as any war except that it is economic; however, it causes as many victims and misfortunes, less physically perceptible.
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

The crime of dirty mouth

by Obamot » 30/07/12, 09:47

Yes, there are no contradictory words, although it is paradoxical to come to be pessimistic to ... hope to make progress. This is indeed for many inherent in human nature itself.

This is one of the domains (and it must not be the only one) or the pessimism comes from the observation of impotence itself. The reason is that our flaws are immense and that it is against its predatory instinct that the human should act first! What measures of early prevention can he take against his "Personal will"when she is destructive of her own habitat, when at the same time she is - despite good faith - inscribed in her primitive instincts ?! This is the point of origin of MY pessimism.

There are many impossibilities. Before the laws, it would be better if it were through education through the culture of life (deficiencies as sometimes family as those of national education). Basic things like setting the right priorities are far from being achieved! (And I'm not excluded from the lot)

Out of optimism, which I would call "Culture of life" is itself perceived - sometimes seen taught - as a danger whereas in essence it is social bond, vector of peace and stability. Man is always suspected of being somehow guilty of everything, by the paradigm of the apple and the snake. The "Culture of life" has thus been replaced for more than two millennia by a culture of death (according to a brilliant student from the Sorbonne). A kind of dirty mouth! And so - with the exception of optimism - pessimism would rhyme by extension, with everything that ends in "ism", such as Manichaeism ... (The religious heritage must not be outdone ...) the simple fact of our binary vision (optimism opposed to pessimism ... moreover)

Thus man - because he struggles to see things with nuances - is often exceeded ... by himself. He realizes that he does not have time to do everything, nor to foresee everything. There, the optimism would be to admit that it does its best! We are still a long way off, as long as he does not face ...

An example among thousands who shows his helplessness, made me smile this morning about the infinitely small, I was surprised to smile looking at myself in the mirror and seeing the state of my teeth, I thought of the LHC from Cern. In principle, the man would have discovered the Higgs boson, the smallest "god particle" ever highlighted (probability that that would be true at "one chance in 3 ...") but for billions of human being, he still has not completely solved his oral health (plaque problem, carries etc) : Cheesy: brushing your teeth and using dental floss are often not enough, and that does not solve the question of fighting againstpersonal will», Which prevents him in certain cases to do what is necessary, neither in terms of his hygiene, nor that of the choice of his food bowl, an element which influences in the first place the health of his teeth!

Thus, he has a preoccupation with antimatter, whereas he has not yet fully arrived at the development of his own consciousness on questions of biochemistry which directly concern the whole of humanity. : Mrgreen: : Cheesy:

And this is not just a probability calculation, he sees the straw elsewhere, but the beam he has in his eye.
0 x

Back to "Climate Change: CO2, warming, greenhouse effect ..."