Oxfam: It passes by me (Gesture of the month)

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
Christophe

Oxfam: It passes by me (Gesture of the month)

by Christophe » 02/12/06, 21:13

This message is not advertising but I think it is interesting to share it with you.

Today by going to do our "shopping" (sugar and Christmas gifts for the curious) in the local Oxfam shop (where some products are also cheaper than the Carrefour du coin ...), I came across a sticker "Ca passe par moi" ...

Intrigued, I wanted to know more and I took some flyers (in addition to the sticker that will be pasted on our Twingo tomorrow) ... Basically here is the idea:

One piece of advice / gesture per month for a better world (socially and ecologically)

http://www.capasseparmoi.be

Example for December: "In December, my holidays are sustainable and fair!"

For children's gifts, focus on educational games, outdoor or wood. Let's avoid toys that work with batteries or gadgets that tire quickly. If this is not possible, then opt for rechargeable batteries, more ecological and much cheaper to use. Let's also think about games that make the imagination work, it's often the ones that will have the most fun!

The following: http://www.ecoconso.be/article401.html

The partners (among others):

http://www.madeindignity.be
http://www.ecoconso.be
0 x
saveplanet
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by saveplanet » 03/12/06, 14:17

It's nice as an initiative and then, we never have too many reminders about the ecology and the gestures, the attitudes that are better to adopt to act in a civic way.
0 x
Together we can change the
abyssin3
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by abyssin3 » 03/12/06, 20:20

It poses an interesting question that I had already asked myself some time ago. It is that of fair trade. Until now I did not buy this kind of product because I thought that it does not represent "exactly" a label and that anyone can claim to be doing fair trade to increase their sales, a bit like some have. made before the organic label.

On their website: http://www.commercequitable.org/accueil/
it's still a little fuzzy, and I still do not see anything that clearly goes against what I said above.
Would there be someone better informed on the subject to enlighten my lantern?
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 04/12/06, 10:59

I think Zac has a tooth against Max, but I do not know why ...
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 04/12/06, 11:09

abyssin3 wrote:It poses an interesting question that I had already asked myself some time ago. It is that of fair trade. Until now I did not buy this kind of product because I thought that it does not represent "exactly" a label and that anyone can claim to be doing fair trade to increase their sales, a bit like some have. made before the organic label.

On their website: http://www.commercequitable.org/accueil/
it's still a little fuzzy, and I still do not see anything that clearly goes against what I said above.
Would there be someone better informed on the subject to enlighten my lantern?

Your queries are justified abysin3.

Fair Trade is good because:
  • product margins are distributed more equitably among producers and distributors.
  • In some cases, this additional contribution is used to finance school, medical, ...

fair trade is not good because:
  • This leaves the producers in a logic of north / south dependence which sometimes involves the destruction of food crops in order to replace them with crops intended for export.
  • It serves to argue and good conscience for companies who see only a commercial argument. For example, you can find Max havelaar "fair trade" coffee in the Swiss Mc (Cra) Do.
  • Most "fair trade" labels like Max Havelaar only take into account the production chain. So, if producers are guaranteed to get a "reasonable" share of the selling price, this is not at all the case with the underpaid dockers who load on the boats, the sailors who risk their lives on a pile of floating rust, and finally, forced part-time supermarket employees who share the crumbs left to them by voracious shareholders.

In short, if the basic concept is good, its application to only one of the links in the chain is not enough.
At present, the only fair trade 100% is the direct purchase to the producer (through an AMAP, for example) ...

And yes, fair trade is not necessarily North / South!
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/12/06, 11:20

Woodcutter wrote:I think Zac has a tooth against Max, but I do not know why ...

Gniii? : Shock:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/12/06, 11:26

Targol wrote:In short, if the basic concept is good, its application to only one of the links in the chain is not enough.
At present, the only fair trade 100% is the direct purchase to the producer (through an AMAP, for example) ...

And yes, fair trade is not necessarily North / South!

+1 ... Besides, even if I defend the principle of fair trade (which if we lived in a "fair" world would not even have a reason to exist) I think that fair does not rhyme with sustainable .. .

I am convinced that a kilo of African fair trade coffee will have emitted more CO2 from the tree to the cup than a Brazilian industrial coffee. In particular because of the effect of mass production ... ditto for cotton (let's get along well, I'm talking ONLY at the CO2 level)

This is not why we do not buy it (but not systematically) but all the same ... the question deserves to be asked. Obviously on other pollutants (especially fertilizers that the "little ones" cannot even afford) it is surely the reverse ... and then the social gesture of fair trade has no "price"!
0 x
zac
Pantone engine Researcher

by zac » 04/12/06, 11:54

Woodcutter wrote:I think Zac has a tooth against Max, but I do not know why ...

Hello

So I'll explain it to you; and it's not only against max; pineau and consort are also targeted.

On the one hand, you have companies that work with the SME of 150 employees who produce with enormous loads (of the packaging of the lambri, the rear shelf of car etc ...;) and in front you have some who exploit disabled people in CATs.

the costs of CAT you already paid with your indirect taxes and especially you create a distortion of concurrency such as you put thousands of unemployed guy for the shareholders of max or pineau.

today in France there are dozens of wood rippers rusting because the CAT took the market (- expensive than the Chinese).

So what I blame max is not to be a bisnessman to make the max of money (it's the rule), it's to hide behind the humanitarian to make slavery in France : evil:

The taxpayer pays, the sharks pick up and the entrepreneurs (in the noble sense of the word) die

@+ :frown:
0 x
Said the zebra, freeman (endangered breed)
This is not because I am con I try not to do smart things.
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 04/12/06, 20:34

Targol wrote:[...] At present, the only fair trade 100% is direct purchase from the producer (through an AMAP, for example) ... [...]
Not easy to buy coffee, chocolate, bananas or quinoa, you will agree ...

Speaking of AMAP, does anyone know this network: http://www.paysans.fr/

It is in advertising on econo and it looks attractive ...

zac wrote:[...] On the one hand, you have companies, from the craftsman to the SME of 150 employees who produce with enormous loads (of the packing of the lambri, of the rear shelf of car etc ...); in the face you have mischievous exploiting handicapped in the CAT. [...] So what I reproach max is not to be bisnessman to do the max of money (it's the rule) is to hide behind the humanitarian to make slavery in France: evil: [...]
I was talking about the products of imports typical of the southern hemisphere, never seen the Max Havelaar label on anything else, and I did not know it was listed on the stock exchange ...
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
zac

by zac » 04/12/06, 20:43

Hello

Max has his coffee packed in CAT breton : Evil: (redon I think)

@+
0 x
Said the zebra, freeman (endangered breed)

This is not because I am con I try not to do smart things.

Back to "Climate Change: CO2, warming, greenhouse effect ..."