Ushuaïa, the Hulot label certified 100% profitable!

The developments of forums and the site. Humor and conviviality between the members of the forum - Tout est anything - Presentation of new registered members Relaxation, free time, leisure, sports, vacations, passions ... What do you do with your free time? Forum exchanges on our passions, activities, leisure ... creative or recreational! Publish your ads. Classifieds, cyber-actions and petitions, interesting sites, calendar, events, fairs, exhibitions, local initiatives, association activities .... No purely commercial advertising please.
Christophe

Ushuaïa, the Hulot label certified 100% profitable!

by Christophe » 21/11/06, 21:39

The nature of TF 1 exploits its image in all directions. A business for a good cause, at the cost of a few ecologically correct sprains.

What do shower gels, backpacks, sunglasses, bath towels, sweaters, a hit TV show, a satellite channel, a magazine have in common print media, a board game, bestsellers and a foundation for environmental protection? One man and only one: Nicolas Hulot, in his fifties since April 30, "telecologist" who achieved the feat of making Ushuaia - a city of 30 inhabitants with unpronounceable name located in Patagonia, in the south of Argentina - a successful brand that continues to be available in derivative products.

"The show" Ushuaïa nature "is expensive to produce [1 million euros per episode], explains Hubert Taieb, deputy general manager of TF 1 Entreprises, the subsidiary of the television channel which has owned and operated the green label since beginning of the 90s. It is not abnormal that one seeks to make profitable such a heavy investment. "Result: TF 1 has sold the operating license in fifteen years to more than fifteen companies (L'Oréal for cosmetics, Atol for eyewear, Rhonetex for clothing, Lexibook for consumer electronics, Quo Vadis for stationery ...) and thus guaranteed the marketing of around sixty by-products in France. By playing, even if the channel denies it, on the Ushuaïa-Nicolas Hulot identification for consumers.

The only condition to be respected for the happy operators of the brand with green reflections: respect the spirit of the television program, the flagship, namely "ethical naturalness". With more or less success ! If the Ushuaia shower gels are a hit on the shelves of supermarkets, the incense sticks of the same name were withdrawn from sale at the end of 2004 after the magazine Que Choisir revealed that they presented a carcinogenic risk. To prevent such situations from happening again, TF 1 is finalizing a user charter to set up “sustainable development obligations” which will be appended to the license contracts. Anyway, the operation is more than profitable: TF 1 estimates at ... 100 million euros the annual turnover generated by all the Ushuaïa branded products.

The following : http://www.lexpansion.com/art/134.0.131528.0.html
0 x
Rulian
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Rulian » 22/11/06, 01:25

This article confirms what I had already heard. Note that Nicolas Hulot is in no way owner or even shareholder of the Ushuaia brand (even if it exploits the image of the show). I feel your underlying criticism that made you post this article, but Hulot is not responsible for the certainly abusive commercial exploitation that TF1 can make of Ushuaia.
0 x
Superform
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Superform » 22/11/06, 08:49

+1 with rulian

he said it in an interview (I no longer have the source)

"I do not touch a euro from the Ushuaia brand"
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 22/11/06, 09:13

Read the full article ... don't limit yourself to shampoos... and if Hulot does not touch more of $ currently that does not mean that he did not touch it ... before ...

I quote (positive or negative):

Nicolas Hulot has no say, but he assumes: “TF 1 declines derivative products that allow the TV show to be funded. At first, I was surprised by this strategy, but I got used to it. It doesn't shock me anymore as long as I keep control of the content of the program and my freedom of speech. "

But it is true that I sometimes wonder how far we can go. Nicolas Hulot was particularly moved by an advertisement for a 4 x 4 in the paper magazine and decided, symbolically, to mark the occasion, not to write the editorial for the next issue and to withdraw his photo from the first page.

As he himself recognizes, the various Ushuaia derivatives finance his independence

His closeness to Jacques Chirac - who twice offered him to be minister and for whom he wrote the speech of the Earth summit in Johannesburg in 2002

Very early on, he took his pilgrim's staff to go fishing for patrons (457 euros per year for the “founding partners”), not hesitating to knock on the doors of companies stigmatized for pollution by environmentalists, like the nuclear manufacturer EDF or the chemist Rhône-Poulenc. Without qualms, because Nicolas Hulot does not hide it: he will seek the money "where it is", and his logic is simple: "" Ushuaia "serves the foundation, and not the other way around. And too bad if some companies are adorned with an ecological virtue. Always giving, giving ...
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 22/11/06, 10:57

What is your message Christophe?
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
Christophe

by Christophe » 22/11/06, 11:46

My message (or rather that of the article in question which I quote but which I also share) is that he is (or at least was) more interested in € than in the environment ... was nothing green in the 80s, he became so out of desperation (or opportunism?) and that I fear that his pact is "Word, word and word" (pre-election ...) without anything concrete behind! : Evil:

Sorry but the time for awareness has passed! Now is the time for concrete decisions, quickly implemented and econologically effective! Because when the "insensitive" see that they could save money more or less easily while respecting the environment, well that's where it will move! Not by giving them a "moral" or "lesson" or making them feel guilty as the greeners have done for too long !

Raise awareness yes but while providing concrete solutions ...

ps: I also think that it is to avoid such criticism that their forum was not opened at the same time as the site of the pact ... There they must be "probing" the reactions of the people (ours among others ...)
0 x
iota
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by iota » 22/11/06, 12:00

Christophe wrote:My message (or rather that of the article in question which I quote but which I also share) is that it is (or at least has been) more interested in the euros than in the environment ... was nothing green in the 80s, it became out of despair ...

we are not green from birth, everyone becomes aware of all this at one time or another (sometimes never even)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 22/11/06, 12:17

iota wrote:we are not green from birth, everyone becomes aware of all this at one time or another (sometimes never even)

I wouldn't be as positive as you ... in other words: "Not sure" : roll:
0 x
Rulian
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Rulian » 22/11/06, 12:19

Christophe wrote:My message (or rather that of the article in question which I quote but which I also share) is that he is (or at least was) more interested in € than in the environment ... was nothing green in the 80s, he became so out of desperation (or opportunism?) and that I fear that his pact is "Word, word and word" (pre-election ...) without anything concrete behind! : Evil:

We all agree that the time for blah must leave room for time for concrete actions. But what do you want Hulot, who is nothing other than a television figure, to do other than put all his notoriety in the balance to talk about ecology and if possible put it at the center of the campaign for 2007. He can do nothing more so let's stop the bad trials. We had better support him thoroughly and stop nitpicking, at least until the end of the 2007 legislative elections.

Its ecological pact is only a text, it is clear, but it has the merit of having been commented on and flattered by all the presidential candidates, and it is already a big advance to force the politicians to really debate on the 'ecology. We'll see what comes out of it, but it can only help.
0 x
nonoLeRobot
Master Kyot'Home
Master Kyot'Home

by nonoLeRobot » 22/11/06, 13:40

On this subject we will never manage to agree, but I don't like this argument.

Ushuaia is sponsorship, Rhone Poulenc and EDF which are even worse too. But that this money is used to make a program on nature or to make soccer matches or reality TV broadcasts or stupid games where we earn a lot of money that does not change much.

And after it's ushaia rather than adidas or oreal rather than Elseve, that doesn't change much. But whether this notoriety gained in a legitimate way or not allow to pass an interesting message to see necessary, that is cool. And that it is powerful enough to scare politicians, that is even cooler. Judging results or efficiency seems to me more important than judging merit or the effort made.

So arguing about legitimacy seems to me to be a waste of time that will suit other industrialists and polluters well. Only an objective critique of the proposals as we have already done can be interesting and have any value. And the real risk is that they are bad is that TF1 :( , EDF :( !!!! and l'Oreal? are on the board and yet people only talk about Ushaia who is not there.

Finally, the most important thing is above all the ecological watch committee: http://www.fondation-nicolas-hulot.org/ ... ation4.php which may vary depending on the preferences of the board of directors.

In any case Econologie has long been and always has been the victim of this same kind of attack "too much advertising which demeans it" (maybe you want to return the favor? Christophe). In all, I don't think the people of forums change depending on the ad and Christophe still me (I hope). And even if Total or Esso were there, I clearly preferred that he pay (with part of my money when I take gasoline) for Econology than for the Paris-Dakar.

On the other hand, to make President the "opportunist" side would be a real legitimate question, I do not think that one can improvise president, there are many other problems than ecology. But I don't think the question will arise either.
0 x

Go back to "The bistro: site life, leisure and relaxation, humor and conviviality and Classifieds"