Le forum is it too complicated?

The developments of forums and the site. Humor and conviviality between the members of the forum - Tout est anything - Presentation of new registered members Relaxation, free time, leisure, sports, vacations, passions ... What do you do with your free time? Forum exchanges on our passions, activities, leisure ... creative or recreational! Publish your ads. Classifieds, cyber-actions and petitions, interesting sites, calendar, events, fairs, exhibitions, local initiatives, association activities .... No purely commercial advertising please.
Christophe

Le forum is it too complicated?

by Christophe » 24/05/16, 12:47

Yesterday I received an email, a little incendiary, on the fact that this forum was way too complicated to use and it was reserved for an elite of engineers ... : Shock:

I am therefore part of this opinion story to analyze the improvement things: a shock of simplification ... econological sum : Mrgreen:

So, let's be brief:

a) What do you find complicated?
b) What do you want to simplify?
c) What do you want as new features to facilitate navigation and publication on forums?

All requests will not, technically, not necessarily feasible but study the whole thing if you want.

Thank you
0 x
Did67

Re: The forum is it too complicated?

by Did67 » 24/05/16, 13:01

I had, for my part, a message from someone, met on another forum, telling me to have "finally" managed to connect to read my thread on gardening after a day or two of efforts ...

It is true that when we are "inside", we do not always realize.

An idea, I do not know if it's technically possible:

- you "sort" the last registered and you send them a targeted message
- what brought them?
- what difficulties did they encounter (if any)? what surprised them?
- the positive, at first glance?
- the negative, at first glance?

We must beware of an "arsonist". There are thugs everywhere - so people who have a pathological need to let off steam on others at the slightest "annoyance". Managing your annoyances is not the strong point of the period we are living ... Sometimes, they would do better to relieve their bladder elsewhere than to piss on everything that comes to their hands!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/05/16, 13:17

Yes improve the message of welcome is possible, that received by e-mail during the registration is currently this one:

Subject: Welcome to Econologie.com

Please keep this email in your archive. Your account information is as follows:

Useful information:
----------------------------
Username: {USERNAME}

Home of forum : {U_BOARD}

Login: ucp.php? mode = login

Forgot your password : ucp.php? mode = sendpassword (your username: {USERNAME})
Your password has been stored encrypted and is therefore illegible, this link can be re-initialized.

Search engine : search.php

Unread messages since your last visit : Non-lu.html
----------------------------

Thank you for your registration and participation, see you soon!

So:
a) Let's improve this message: what do you think is missing? A link to a "How does the forum" for example?
b) I can add another message as a private message at the first login, a little more detailed message

The low participation of new members is also a sign that there is too much complication ...
But do not forget that the average level of intellectual perseverance of the Internet user, as of the citizen, decreases from day to day ... :(
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/05/16, 13:20

Did67 wrote:I had, for my part, a message from someone, met on another forum, telling me to have "finally" managed to connect to read my thread on gardening after a day or two of efforts ...

Strange anyway: you would have more information on the difficulties encountered?

Because the forum is readable without being connected ... except when I activate the anti adblock (not all the time, I'm still testing A / B there ...) so in this case 2 choice:
a) you have to register and log in
b) you need to disable the ad blocker
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 24/05/16, 13:50

what I find complicated is the multiplicity of sub forum with each one a name has 4 5 or 6 word

when a sub forum has a name to many word is that the division is not good

result when we want to make a subject it can be put in a multitude of sub forum diferent ... so we put anywhere

the title of forum with too many words, there is another disadvantage: we can not memorize them ... when they are accustomed like me, we only look at the new message that arrives we never use the classification of the forum ... for a newcomer it's off-putting

the problem of advertising is something else ... I know a lot of people who are proud of their ad blocker software ... it does not realize that it also blocks access to sites that need to advertising to live ... I try to explain to them but there is some that must be explained to them for a long time

should not it dose a little better advertising? put less in the beginning and make it appear after a while?
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 24/05/16, 13:58

Christophe wrote:
Did67 wrote:I had, for my part, a message from someone, met on another forum, telling me to have "finally" managed to connect to read my thread on gardening after a day or two of efforts ...

Strange anyway: you would have more information on the difficulties encountered?

Because the forum is readable without being connected ... except when I activate the anti adblock (not all the time, I'm still testing A / B there ...) so in this case 2 choice:
a) you have to register and log in
b) you need to disable the ad blocker

No. The nature of the difficulties was not specified ...

I'll see if I can find where it was and dig deeper ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/05/16, 13:59

chatelot16 wrote:what I find complicated is the multiplicity of sub forum with each one a name has 4 5 or 6 word

when a sub forum has a name to many word is that the division is not good

result when we want to make a subject it can be put in a multitude of sub forum diferent ... so we put anywhere

Yes that's quite relevant as a note: I've already deleted 4 under forum (which were not used a lot) this morning by merging them together ... I will continue to see what is possible to do in this way ...

chatelot16 wrote:the title of forum with too many words, there is another disadvantage: we can not memorize them ... when they are accustomed like me, we only look at the new message that arrives we never use the classification of the forum ... for a newcomer it's off-putting

So what do you propose? To put only one word by sub forum?
I think the big problem is the redundancy of the sub forum, that yes where the fusion that I have done on some ...

chatelot16 wrote:should not it dose a little better advertising? put less in the beginning and make it appear after a while?

I think that the dosage is currently optimal in the report display and annoyance / income ... tests I made dozens in this sense ...
For example, I have never put an advertising popup on forums (The forum futura science yes ...)

For posting after a while I do not see the interest, on the contrary it's devious method.

On the other hand, we can think about "premium" members who, against a modest financial contribution, would no longer see any advertising ...

Who among you would be willing to donate 5 or 10 € per month for ad removal?
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 24/05/16, 14:13

I would not pay anything to avoid advertising ... it is sometimes useful

the problem is when the ad slowed down access to the information you want ... like posting all the ads before the desired content

I think it's a question of writing the html ... and also a question of browser ... I have the impression that it does not appear in the same order with google chrome and firefox ... I find that firefox has a tendency to show nothing until everything has happened, so when a pub puts a large amount those who have a low flow wait a long time, or do not wait and say that it does not work ... with chrome he quickly displays what he can and the result comes next, with modification of framing quite painful

it's really hellish these site management problem with completely different behavior among different users
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 24/05/16, 14:18

Me.

I would find it more honest to contribute than to see advertising that almost never interests me [another discussion we had and where we didn't understand each other] and therefore to know that I "use" a forum which I do not contribute to existence.

For me, it 's more a question of ethics, than the comfort of escaping the pub - pub that does not upset me much, even if it never interests me.

Besides, I have some qualms about "participating" in a system whose engine is ... "google", the king of tax evasion, of the "big brotherization" of our society, of "uberization" [which to me is only the modern form of the black market and not "progress"] and an insidious form of "American imperialism"! [I'm not criticizing you for using Google; I know you try to make this survive forum and that you have only the means that the existing society offers you! I explain my scruples to myself, and why, modestly, I am willing to contribute, even if a lot of gossip, foolishness, cockfighting gorges me]
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/05/16, 14:21

chatelot16 wrote:the problem is when the ad slowed down access to the information you want ... like posting all the ads before the desired content

I think it's a question of writing the html ... and also a question of browser ... I have the impression that it does not appear in the same order with google chrome and firefox ...

I had already answered this remark in the subject on advertising: since the new forum (february 2016) the display of ads is asynchronous, ie they load independently of the rest of the content of the page. Here is the explanation of Google: https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/3221666?hl=fr

On the old forum it was synchronous ... So logically there has been an improvement on this point since the migration ... but like the rest of the forum is on average heavier, the gain is not necessarily noticeable ...

chatelot16 wrote:it's really hellish these site management problem with completely different behavior among different users

Who are you saying that to !! It becomes a horror ...

Especially since Internet users are more and more demanding (but that's also a problem of society, lack of citizenship, not specific to the internet ...)
0 x