Project in Burkina Faso fuel oil

crude vegetable oil, diester, bio-ethanol or other biofuels, or fuel of vegetable origin ...
Crabine
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Project in Burkina Faso fuel oil

by Crabine » 01/08/09, 11:40

Hello, I am a technician of rural animations and president of the association of international solidarity THE CHOICE:

http://le.choix.ong.over-blog.org/

We want to use every opportunity to give work to the people of Bobo Dioulasso (Burkina Faso) and surroundings.

As we drive bcp in two motorized wheels, I would like to know if we can roll them with pure sunflower oil?

The sunflower is easy to grow, and one would get the stuff for the extraction of the oil.

If it is, farmers will win with the sale of sunflower seeds from their plantation (to initiate), the mechanics will be a certain gain, and consumers too.

Thank you in advance
0 x
Stronger together to share!
minguinhirigue
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by minguinhirigue » 01/08/09, 12:13

I think that the production of first generation agro-fuel (herbal food) in Burkina is a very big mistake ...

The debate on bio-fuels is very long in the site ... Do a little research, you will find a lot of information ...

For the Sahelian climate, I see two possible things for bio-energy production:
- anaerobic digestion of organic, animal and plant waste: offal, algae, decaying plants, manure and manure when they are not used for agriculture ...
- production of oil from pioneer plants of dry climates for use inedible, type jatropha...

There are many experts of low-tech facilities of this type in India and Latin America, some in Africa ... and proportionally quite little in Europe (used high-tech facilities very secure but generally inaccessible budgets local, both for initial investment and maintenance ...)

For jatropha, it is a pioneer bush of dry climates, it can allow the fight against desertification.

Given the diversity of economic models in the region (solidarity economy, barter, ...), I often invite people to think about something other than profitability and very large areas of agriculture, polycultures can preserve species in use varied: food, cosmetics, traditional pharmacopoeia, energy exploitation or even hunting and breeding (the maintenance of plants necessary for the development of wildlife ...). Some farms have been developed in this way in Côte d'Ivoire.

Finally, if you go on this project, you will have to set up a partnership with the IRD or another institute with local or long-time agronomists ...

For the use that you want to make, I do not think that the pure oil is adapted to 2 engines time ... Possibly for all diesel engines generator or truck. Methane must also not be ideal for small vehicles ... But it is used for cooking and small generators in India.

May other econologists correct any mistakes in what I said. Thank you.

Good luck.
0 x
Crabine
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Burkina Faso Project

by Crabine » 01/08/09, 14:50

Thanks for your info.
Very interesting use for generators, how is it going exacer? and on which groups?
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 01/08/09, 15:06

I can only subscribe to everything you wrote, minguinhirigue, and I would add that to give work to all and to develop the economy is to want to reproduce at any price the Western scheme. This is a serious mistake, even if the intentions are certainly excellent (hell is not it paved?).

The only valid goal is to contribute (modestly) to give the local populations the capacity to reach the greatest possible autonomy (I mean material and moral).

In addition, the fact of injecting financial resources from voluntary contributors from rich countries, while indispensable, may be an effective means of increasing the moral comfort of contributors without any assured benefit to the recipients. Charity is humiliating for the one who receives, so for the one who gives, and, ultimately, can not be substituted for the simple (?) justice.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Other
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 01/08/09, 16:00

Hello

while the developing countries are discouraged in the bioenergetic culture (for their own use) we industrialized countries grow corn excessively, in the region that I live when we fly over we see only fields of corn out of sight . In the month of August, several spreading aircraft in operation
What are he doing with everything but ??

Andre
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 01/08/09, 18:51

You are perfectly right to point out these apparent inconsistencies, but it is precisely that it is better to avoid the impoverished countries to imitate our absurdities: they would pay much more than us!
This maize is part of the 80% of the area that is cultivated, for the most part, to feed the livestock, which will then be consumed as meat. This is a total waste and nonsense from an energy point of view, which is also responsible for many public health problems, to the north by excess, to the south by default.
It is a political choice which is one of the elements of a whole which leads from a potentially sufficient agricultural production to a situation of shortage for 800 millions of people (I speak here only of famine, the malnutrition is much more widespread ).
0 x
Crabine
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Burkina Faso Project

by Crabine » 01/08/09, 20:02

For Ahmed, as he says so well: Do not believe what he says ... : Cheesy:

From the responses received, I strongly feel that you are technical people, without having been in the field.
Typical ... many of us have "appreciated".

So to pick up the thread, we do the technology pass (what colonization / begging, etc. are we talking about it?), Proposing simple business developments to those that it may interest on the spot.

I am a Rural Animation Technician, and we do everything together with the groups of people concerned, they bring their ideas and know-how, we brew everything and we start the project (16 years in RCI).

Here I do not speak of bio all-round, only sunflower oil as fuel possible.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 02/08/09, 10:19

Indeed I do not wish that one believes in what I say, I ambition much more: that one understands ... with nuances.

There are 2 ways to misunderstand things: being too far away (what you blame us for) or being too close ...

For my part, I am part of an association. who works in an African country, I am therefore quite familiar with these issues (I take a general view, because there are important differences in the situation in different countries).
Inside the assoc. we are aware that we are substituting ourselves for the role of a failing state and that this is acceptable only in the light of the urgency of the situation, moreover, we have no means of action on the structural causes of poverty.

The assoc. has a double direction: one on the spot, native, and one in France. It is through a dialogue between the inhabitants and us that the projects are oriented. The areas concerned are health (essentially preventive, eg digging wells to avoid dysentery), education (financing teachers, canteen to allow children from remote villages to access school) and food self-sufficiency (agricultural trainer).
We carefully avoid the transfer of "invasive" techniques, preferring a transfer of knowledge adapted to the local context.
Most importantly, this action is based on an exchange : I think that we have more lessons to learn from these populations who live in conditions such as * that we could not survive more than a few months without the "western crutches", than what we can bring them.

* And here I am talking about people living in poverty but not in misery.
0 x
Crabine
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Crabine » 02/08/09, 14:19

"We carefully avoid the transfer of "invasive" techniques, preferring a transfer of knowledge adapted to the local context. "

In agreement with you, what your association does is in our projects too, so nothing new under the sun, it is the case to say it.

But you say you have an independent antenna on site, which is not the case for us.
We are divided into different nationalities, but of the same faith, and the same goals in the North as in the South, and work together, and the antennas on site are related to each other.
Techniques and technologies, ideas, actions overlap after consultation between all the members here and there, and that is our strength.

Some associations help from a distance, but do not follow up, and leave the beneficiaries of their donations and actions to fend for themselves afterwards, which means that projects collapse and materials "escape" .... We have feedback of these cases, and that does not encourage people to mobilize here, too bad. The case of village pumps is obvious, after a certain time, they are out of order, and no one puts their hand in their pocket (on site) for maintenance. I am for the slot pumps, a bucket of water at 25 CFA francs, and the constitution of a village committee for maintenance.

We help to develop existing activities that can be, such as crafts with commercial outlet, but also for other professions where it lacks training (for illiterates already functional) and tools.
Solidarity leave is one of our strengths.

But there are people who do not fit into any of these cases, and it is often in the rural area. I worked in the fields, I had yams, cassava, corn, etc., and small farms.
I saw the difficulty for the peasant in general, to produce already enough for the family's meal, and therefore practically impossible to produce for sale, for lack of gear.
However, there are times during the lean season, which he sells on the family reserve, hence the periods of famine.

This is why, while allowing through a cooperative, to provide the necessary equipment for the rational exploitation of their plots (and therefore to save time), it is possible to introduce one or more new crops of interesting profitability. , "We carefully avoid the transfer of 'invasive' technique, preferring a transfer of knowledge adapted to the local context."

That is why, while allowing through a cooperative, to provide the necessary equipment for the rational exploitation of their plots (and thus to save time), it is possible to introduce one or more new profitable crops of interest for the farmer, and the other actors of this activity (the oil extraction group, the mechanic and the velomotorist.

Sunflower is one for 1) to produce domestic family oil (not sold), 2) to produce fuel oil.

Soybean is another for 1) human nutrition, 2) animal feed for livestock (reduction of commercial food = economy).

So I keep on learning about pure oil as fuel.

Sunflower is one for 1) to produce domestic family oil (not sold), 2) to produce fuel oil.

Soybean is another for 1) human nutrition, 2) animal feed for livestock (reduction of commercial food = economy).

The sunflower one is for 1) to produce domestic family oil (not sold), 2) to produce fuel oil.

Soy is another for 1) human nutrition, 2) animal feed for livestock (reduction of commercial food = economy).

0 x
minguinhirigue
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by minguinhirigue » 02/08/09, 19:12

The process is very interesting, as long as you succeed in maintaining participatory decisions, follow-up, and no brutal imposition of opinions and cultural practices North...

As for the Crabine field, I did not actually run a project of this type in the field, but I lived there 15 years (in RCI too), parents had a small agro-forestry that I visited often. They developed a number of the ideas that I explained above: multiplicity of resources, firewood limits (teaks ...), maintenance of undergrowth and wasteland specific to the development of medicinal species and wildlife , participative work and collaborative with local farmers ... The whole gave off some profits during the explosion of the Ivorian crisis (2001) ...

Afterwards, as I mentioned earlier, I honestly think that sunflower is not adequate for energy use. It is appropriate to use as much as possible plants for strictly non-food use for energy use in an area where famines are lying in wait ... That's why I evoked jatropha (jathropha curcas), a pioneer plant (not very much work ...), which can make it possible to gain ground on arid zones, and ensuring 800 with 1300 l / ha of oil.

Moreover, sunflower requires little water but it does not withstand prolonged drought, so I am not sure that it is adequate for the climate of Burkina Faso, whatever the use. The only advantage I leave him is that the meal is edible for cattle ... I'm not sure that is the case of jatropha nuts.

As for soy, I do not know enough about the plant to talk about it ... I'm just surprised by the use for livestock of a plant known for its high direct food power !?

Finally, for engines, the oil can run in diesel cycle engines provided that the pumps are adequate, I do not have enough specific knowledge on it, but some oily du forum will wake up. I just know that a lot of Ivorian mechanic generators come from salvaged truck engines ... Diesels ... You just have to see how to adapt them, and how to make sure they do not go out and buy the food palm oil because it's cheaper than diesel!

PS: Try to edit your message, there was a bug ...
0 x