Making the diester or biodiesel: Recipe

crude vegetable oil, diester, bio-ethanol or other biofuels, or fuel of vegetable origin ...
Christophe

Making the diester or biodiesel: Recipe

by Christophe » 09/11/05, 18:44

The diester is made by extraction of an HVB-based (methyl) ester and using methanol. Glycerin is produced as a by-product in a fairly large quantity.

2 main problems:

1) Methanol (thus destroyed during the synthesis of the ester) is expensive and contains a substantial energy manufacturing (oil) ...

2) The sum of energy contained in the HVB + methanol (the reagents) is close to that contained in the Diester (the product) ...

More: https://www.econologie.com/telechargeme ... u-diester/
Last edited by Christophe the 30 / 05 / 08, 11: 35, 4 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

Detailed "recipe"

by Christophe » 09/11/05, 18:47

Here is the detailed recipe

Most of the following step-by-step instructions come from the book: From the Fryer to the Fuel Tank, How to Make Clean, Cheap Fuel from Joshua Tickell's Free Vegetable Oil from Greanteach Publishing in Saratosa, Florida. If you take seriously all the details, you have for your 19,95 $ and it is very well explained. I highly recommend it.

Step 1

* 1000ml of vegetable oil in a beaker of 1500 ml
* 200ml of methanol (also called methyl alcohol, carbinol, methynol, spirit of wood *)
* 4 g caustic soda ** (or sodium hydroxide) in a graduated Petri dish (if using used oil, instead of 4 grams of caustic soda, see step 1.5)

Step 1.5

If you use used or dirty vegetable oil, you will need to do a "titration" to determine how much additional caustic soda will be needed to neutralize the free fatty acids.

1. Measure 1 gram of caustic soda on the graduation of the petri dish.
2. Measure 1000 ml distilled water into one of the 1500 ml beakers.
3. Pour 1 gram of caustic soda into the 1000 ml of water.
4. Mark the caustic soda / water solution: do not drink.
5. Measure 10 ml of isopropyl alcohol in a beaker of 20 ml.
6. Dissolve 1ml of used oil in isopropyl alcohol.
7. Label this beaker with oil / alcohol solution.
8. Use a pipette to introduce 1 ml of water / caustic solution into the oil / alcohol solution.
9. Check the pH with a litmus paper.
10. Repeat steps 8 and 9, counting the ml of caustic / water you add, until the alcohol / oil reaches a pH between 8 and 9.
11. Use the following equation: the number of ml of caustic / water mixture poured into the oil / alcohol mixture = x. and (x + 3.5) = the number of grams of caustic soda needed to neutralize one liter of hydrogenated oil.

Step 2

Combine methanol with caustic soda to create sodium methoxide, an extremely strong base that can dissolve the skin if touched and kill nerve endings so that you do not feel anything, so do not put your skin in contact with it .

Pour the methanol into a blender. Then take the caustic soda and put it in the blender then mix at the lowest speed for 30 seconds or until all the caustic soda is dissolved in the methanol. You now have sodium methoxide.

Step 3

Carefully pour the vegetable oil into the blender. Mix at medium or high speed for 15 minutes.

Step 4

Pour into another container of 1500ml, if possible with a tap to drain the bottom. Let stand 8 hours. 75% of the reaction will be done the first hour. Do not drink, it's not Margarita. Eight hours later, the upper layer will be clear while the bottom layer will be dark and there may be a middle layer that will be half translucent. Although the reaction takes place in the first hour, the glycerin soap should settle to the bottom and let the methyl esters, biodiesel, at the top.

Step 5

If there is a faucet, try to empty the glycerin, and it alone. If it comes a little bit of biodiesel, it does not matter. It is important to you that you have the remaining biodiesel. If there is no faucet, do not pour, you would mix glycerine with biodiesel. Instead, use a hand pump (such as a ketchup bottle pump or window washer) or a water pump (fountain or aquarium). If you are very careful, you can use a ladle, and bailing carefully, but be careful not to stir or re-mix in glycerine. It is done !

If you make larger quantities, then use x + 3.5g of caustic soda times the number of liters of oil you rush. Large quantities should also be mixed for at least 1 hours.

If you wish, you can use thick glycerin and fine as industrial grade soap. Otherwise, glycerine is a biodegradable product.

* Methanol or methyl alcohol is manufactured by sawdust fermentation and distillation of methyl alcohol. See my message on how to make alcohol for more details. You can also distil the product to wash the windows at 149F / 65C. Its main constituent is methyl alcohol.

** Caustic soda or sodium hydroxide (NaOH) is the active component in sewer products. Also by electrolysis, you can mix hot water and table salt (NaCl) and you put the electrodes of a battery of 12 volt on the other side of the solution to get oxygen and hydrochloric gas (very dangerous, do not inhale) and there is a solution of sodium hydroxide. I also heard about using white wood ash coming from a very hot fire (oak and apple wood are the best, whatever would go) and rainwater, any other undistilled water asking for some baking soda. Fill a barrel or container up to about 15 cm from the top. Add enough water for the ashes to make a coat but do not stay in suspension. Let stand 4 at least (all night). Collect brownish water in a container that will contain your homemade caustic soda. If an egg or potato floats to its middle or a chicken feather begins to dissolve in it, the caustic soda water is almost ready. If the egg does not float or you want a stronger solution, boil it.
Last edited by Christophe the 22 / 05 / 08, 16: 02, 1 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 09/11/05, 18:48

Many sites make the energy balance of the diester ... You should find it quite easily on the site of the Ademe.

Now the pb is that from one source to another the figures vary "enormously" ... namely 100% margin ... which is certain is that the yield of the diester is in all cases less than that of HVB ...
Last edited by Christophe the 28 / 01 / 10, 18: 48, 1 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

Esterification scheme

by Christophe » 09/11/05, 18:50

At the level of the chemical equation of transesterification it gives ca:

Last edited by Christophe the 28 / 01 / 10, 18: 54, 1 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 09/11/05, 18:50

Hello
The site you search for the simplified diester is

http://short.petrol.free.fr/

There is also a faster method, but more dangerous.
By adding caustic soda in 12 hours the transformation is complete.
Result: 85% oil + 15% ethanol + soda (about 4 gram per liter)
gives 85% ethyl ester and 15% "soap"
My old forklift works in bi-fuel. (fuel oil)
When I replaced the fuel with the result of the chemical reaction it started as well.
0 x
titus02
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

interest of the diester for the particular ??

by titus02 » 24/11/05, 14:14

Hello

is there a real interest for an individual to make diester
rather than driving his car with vegetable oil
"brute" ???
The eventual gain in energy, consumption or pollution is worth the
trouble to become a "little chemist"?
It seems to me that the only interest of the diester is to keep a
"captive" market for oil companies, which are beginning
to consider reconverting the post-oil and see a
bad eye the possibility of being concurenced by simple
"earthy ass" (I use this term for the demonstration, it is not
absolutely not pejorative).
finally, what is the real benefit of hacking vegetable oil?
please
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 24/11/05, 16:31

I think it is to ride with 100% of vegetable oil (which can come from deep fat fryers), transformed into diester. Must already have room at home, to filter the oil of recovery, and to store it; with a little more attention and time, we go to diester; we have the satisfaction of having done everything ourselves.
Unlike oil, the diester allows it to be used as an exclusive fuel for the operation of the engine, because it clogs the circuit less, and it do not freeze when the weather cools; it allows a cold start, while the pure oil, being frozen, does not allow it without reheating.
Maybe, can it also be used at 100%, with the latest diesel?
0 x
bob_isat
Pantone engine Researcher

by bob_isat » 24/11/05, 19:10

Hi everybody
I allow myself to make a short summary of what it says about oliomobile com about biodiesel:

diesel and crude oil are distinguished by 2 things:

-the viscosity: by heating the oil to 70 ° with a atrisanal system can reduce its visocity to a value close to diesel

-the flash point: the temperature at which a liquid must be heated so that its vapors are flammable: 80 ° C for diesel against 250 ° C for oil. And that's a problem.

IF this temperature is not reached at any point of the room, the oil burns badly and we have tars and soot that come to block the injectors and seize the segments little by little :x

On indirect injections, no pb or so, the combustion chamber is very hot. On direct injection (TDI, DCI, HDI ..) we work with lower temperatures and therefore we risk fouling.

Biodiesel has a viscosity equivalent to diesel and a flash point of 120 ° C: 100% CAN BE MADE!

2 ways to produce it:

-SOLUTION INDUSTRIELLE (DIESTER): by reacting the oil with methanol (from petrochemicals ...) and) full of chemical catalysts (potash and co).
Then rinse with water to remove all the chemical stuff

-SOLUTION ECOLO: by reacting the oil with commercial alcohol (alcohol 95 °) for a week and then decantation for a week: method presented on http://short.petrol.free.fr and put into practice by many people on oliomobile.com: http://www.oliomobile.org/forum/viewsujet.php?t=54

(yes I know it's a post of 6 pages but it's longer and more is good : Lol: )
0 x
davio
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by davio » 20/01/06, 16:51

For this eco-friendly solution, for people with bi-fueling is a must if this homemade diester completely rinses the injectors and thus avoids cooking at their peaks.

The quality of this diester should be defined (possible traces of glicerine?)
0 x
bob_isat

by bob_isat » 31/01/06, 14:59

hey, as it is left decanted for a week, it is thought that the majority of the glycerin will rise to the surface with the excess alcohol.

For the moment the tests give nickel operation, conso level and driving pleasure.

As for the coking of the injectors, the publi show that the esterified oil coke less than the pure oil but we do not know the mechanisms well.

Does glycerin coke injectors? I read on olio that it was the waxes in the oil

if we know how we evaluate the quantity of glycerin in a solution, we are interested ....
0 x