Hydrogen, seawater and sun

crude vegetable oil, diester, bio-ethanol or other biofuels, or fuel of vegetable origin ...
minguinhirigue
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Hydrogen, seawater and sun

by minguinhirigue » 17/07/08, 00:14

Recently, a discussion revolved around the question of taking advantage of sodium and its reaction with water, to produce hydrogen:
Low pressure hydrogen storage
Na + H20 -> NaOH + 1/2 H2 then 2 H2 + O2 -> H2O.

Even if I confess to you that I find it a little unconscious to run vehicles which spit soda (whatever say those who suppose that it will be condensed and recovered :D) there is an "interesting" process to produce this "fuel":
A energy tower vaporizes seawater, and uses it to generate electricity. The vaporized sea water will not fail to leave salt, gradually deposited on the inner surface of the tower and to "harvest" regularly. Once collected, this salt can pass through a concentrated solar liquefaction system as described by Rémundo in the low pressure hydrogen storage message: heating the brine to 600 ° C, then electrolysis (with the power of the tower if necessary) to produce sodium and chlorine.

It only remains to enjoy freely and joyfully the possible uses of pure water produced by the tower (recovery of saturated air, and condensed water), sodium, and chlorine.

I admit that I prefer the primary uses of the tower: production of unsalted water and electricity, but if an energy tower, a simple concentrated solar power plant, a favorable climate and a little seawater allow a complete process to produce dichlor, sodium and pure au and perhaps even a little electricity, why not?

Another source of energy with seawater, I just discovered it: solar ponds: http://www.outilssolaires.com/Jeux/prin-etang.htm
0 x
Chatham
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: Hydrogen, sea water and sun

by Chatham » 17/07/08, 09:11

minguinhirigue wrote:Recently, a discussion revolved around the question of taking advantage of sodium and its reaction with water, to produce hydrogen:

It only remains to enjoy freely and joyfully the possible uses of pure water produced by the tower (recovery of saturated air, and condensed water), sodium, and chlorine.

Greens playing ping-pong with a bottle of nitroglycerin that's what it reminds me of ... the products you are talking about are super dangerous: better forget that ...
0 x
minguinhirigue
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by minguinhirigue » 17/07/08, 10:44

I find the image fair enough :P

It's just going through my head, so I find it good to get it out! :D

Still you knew the solar ponds: not dangerous them, except for those who swim there ...
0 x
Flytox

Re: Hydrogen, sea water and sun

by Flytox » 17/07/08, 11:14

Hello minguinhirigue

For the Sodium, in agreement with Chatam, we found more peaceful products. : Mrgreen:

minguinhirigue wrote:Another source of energy with seawater, I just discovered it: solar ponds: http://www.outilssolaires.com/Jeux/prin-etang.htm

It's great this idea, should compare its performance and its cost compared to solar panels. In self-construction it seems quite playable. Finally, you must make sure that a leak of brackish water will not spoil the water table.
A+
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Flytox

by Flytox » 17/07/08, 11:55

Original system:

Simplified use possible:

The ball is optional, it is the size of the pool that acts as a ball. :P

A+
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.

[Eugène Ionesco]

http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132

Back to "biofuels, biofuels, biofuels, BtL, non-fossil alternative fuels ..."