Spanish plant for microalgae biopetroleum JT FR2

crude vegetable oil, diester, bio-ethanol or other biofuels, or fuel of vegetable origin ...
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Spanish plant for microalgae biopetroleum JT FR2

by bham » 10/12/09, 19:45

Check out this report on JT FR2 of 10/12/2009, video at 21'16, where it is about the culture of microalgae doped with CO2 and transformed into fuel. It is planned either to couple a future plant (in Spain) to a cement plant which would use the microalgae as fuel and which in return would give the CO2 released to "feed" the said algae, or to produce electricity.
Interesting report.
http://jt.france2.fr/13h/
0 x
Lietseu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Lietseu » 10/12/09, 20:26

Seen this noon !!! :D

It's a giant idea (thank you econology?) : Cheesy:

Finally a system which would be "neutral" or even positive for the environment, there was only ... to copy nature : Mrgreen:

Kudos to the scientist who brought this story to fruition :P
0 x
By removing Human Nature, he was far from his nature! Lietseu
"The power of love, must be stronger than the love of power" contemporary Lie Tzu?
One sees clearly only with the heart, the essential is invisible to the eyes ...
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/12/09, 21:39

Microalgae have a very interesting potential (up to 150 L / ha !! To compare to the 000 L of the best oilseeds) so it is certainly interesting BUT:

a) far from being "new", the ricans have been on it for a few years:
https://www.econologie.com/biocarburant- ... -3388.html

b) and not so much that: https://www.econologie.com/algues-et-bio ... -4061.html

Listen carefully to the end: about 10 times TOO expensive ... so I don't know how the Spanish want to set up their factory but in my opinion it's suddenly large subsidies ... (as usual ...) or so are really better than our guys from Ifremer something I doubt anyway ...

Then we will have to resort to ... GMOs probably (as for 2nd generation biofuels) ...

c) A member of forums try to do it at home: https://www.econologie.com/forums/biocarbura ... t6787.html

d) Making seaweed is one thing, turning it into usable fuel another. So seaweed + Laigret = real renewable oil ... may be a way ...

ps: to see the potential of algae compared to other solutions, see this document https://www.econologie.com/les-biocarbur ... -3566.html
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 10/12/09, 23:41

Ah pity that they do not specify more the steps of conversion from biomass to oil.

But actually, it's very good as a project. The nature and the complement of solar energy will exploit the totality of CO2 emitted by certain industries which cannot do otherwise ... : Idea:

Question of will :?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/12/09, 23:49

Remundo wrote:Ah pity that they do not specify more the steps of conversion from biomass to oil.

Normal is not to the point precisely! I think the journalists are getting carried away ...

To break the cell membrane you need a lot of mechanical energy (centrifugation ...), thermal (microwave ...) or chemical (ecological balance?) ... and so it is, from what i 've read here and there, a BIG problem as much as that of producing algae massively and cleanly (it is not that easy to keep the environment sterile and to bring food ...). This is where LAIGRET (bacteria that eat bacteria, so almost "free") could have its say ... if I dare say!

The Ifremer guy did not say that it cost 10 times the price of oil for nothing ...
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 11/12/09, 00:02

in fact it is a problem of biomass to liquid (BtL)

There are a lot of oil companies or large SMEs working on it.

Like Choren, Shell ... (or IFP? :P )

Pyrolysis, gasification, thermolysis, twisting, twisting, recombining, removing tars : Cheesy:

Often, I wonder if the best with the biomass would not be the simple drying and the direct combustion, if necessary with a Stirling if one wishes to have Wmeca. : Idea:

So after transportation ... Why not a series hybrid with Stirling engine, electric range 50 km + biomass extension 200 km. it would be huge filling up with dried biomass powder and ash waste in the composter : Idea:
0 x