Compressed air motor

crude vegetable oil, diester, bio-ethanol or other biofuels, or fuel of vegetable origin ...
loop
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Compressed air motor

by loop » 14/12/07, 07:21

Hello

The pantonized heat engine to its followers, the compressed air one also, each one its arguments

Suppose that I have a reserve of compressed air on my vehicle, produced thanks to mechanical energy available naturally and in large quantities (by an air compressor for example)
Can I hope to improve the performance of my diesel engine, and thus reduce its fuel consumption, if the pressure is significantly increased in the intake system?
I'm not trying to reinvent the turbo, but to boost compression in the optimized engine speeds, by providing additional air, without increasing the compression ratio
Is there a risk of overloading the cylinders at normal speed?

A+
0 x
Chatham
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Chatham » 15/12/07, 11:24

No: most of the current diesel already use turbos with variable geometry to optimize the filling and an additional air supply brings nothing because on a diesel the admission always remains wide open (no shutter), the power being regulated by the fuel flow (which is itself limited by the amount of oxygen available)
The excessive increase in air pressure in the rooms would only lead to explosive operation (= fatigue and engine failure) ...

And uh: what is an "air compressor"? A compressor powered by a wind turbine?
0 x
loop
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by loop » 15/12/07, 11:56

Hello

Chatam, thank you for your answer

Aerocompressor is a coined term, by analogy with the aerogenerator which produces electricity
This idea of ​​producing compressed air from a wind turbine had been mentioned on the MDI website but I have never seen or heard of it

Producing and storing compressed air, some people don't mind, has several advantages
It's easy to build a large reserve, even if it means burying the tank
This reserve can be filled according to the wind, whatever its speed
It is therefore a clean tampon and without major risk
Thermodynamic exchanges are possible during compression and / or expansion
Now, about the poor performance of the various compression / expansion conversions:
If this compressed gas is produced with a minimum investment and using natural energy, the overall return is necessarily favorable
Use on a vehicle is only one of the many possibilities

What I would like is to equip a glider with a built-in flight device with sufficient air reserve to take it off and reach 500m, classic towing altitude
Still should be found a light engine, with acceptable performance

A+
0 x
micdhi
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

compressed air heat engine

by micdhi » 15/12/07, 14:03

Hello;
there have been tests, and the result is convincing since it is going to be built in Germany, the same concept, ie a wind turbine,
air compressor (aero compressor) which stores compressed air in an underground cavity, and then feeds a reactor supplied with natural gas, but which dispenses with the compressor part of this same reactor, the gain is significant, because we produce electricity when you need it, much later, if necessary and finally even slowly the aero compressor compresses, no need for a regular regime (necessary for electrical production)
http://www.enerzine.com/3/2288+L-energi ... lite+.html
this process can replace on a current engine (pistons, crankshaft connecting rods) the suction part, so there would be a 2-stroke cycle, air injection and fuel injection, there would only be exhaust valves and in top closing dead center valves and injection of air and fuel. expansion and exhaust ......
0 x
Chatham
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Chatham » 15/12/07, 16:14

loop wrote:What I would like is to equip a glider with a built-in flight device with sufficient air reserve to take it off and reach 500m, classic towing altitude
Still should be found a light engine, with acceptable performance

A+

Compressed air to send a glider into the air does not seem to me a good solution: too heavy (bottles), but there are several ulm gliders which go up to 1000m with an electric motor and lithium battery, there was even an ulm MCR type which was equipped for testing by the factory: there were 20 minutes of autonomy ...
0 x
Flytox

Re: compressed air heat engine

by Flytox » 15/12/07, 17:12

Hello Micdhi
micdhi wrote:...
air compressor (aero compressor) which stores compressed air in an underground cavity, and then feeds a reactor supplied with natural gas, but which dispenses with the compressor part of this same reactor, the gain is significant, because we produce electricity when you need it, much later, if necessary and finally even slowly the aero compressor compresses, no need for a regular regime (necessary for electrical production)

Supplying a reactor with a reserve of compressed air seems to me to be a great waste. The fuel / air ratio is around 1/50 on a gas turbine. The air is mainly used to cool the hottest parts, combustion chamber, blades etc ... A reactor is an air chasm. I will be very surprised that a simple compressed air motor does not have a much higher efficiency.

micdhi wrote:http://www.enerzine.com/3/2288+L-energi ... lite+.html
this process can replace on a current engine (pistons, crankshaft connecting rods) the suction part, so there would be a 2-stroke cycle, air injection and fuel injection, there would only be exhaust valves and in top closing dead center valves and injection of air and fuel. expansion and exhaust ......

Not understood how you want to run your engine without crankshaft and that with exhaust valves? : Mrgreen:

Running a 2-stroke engine is certainly very playable, we could even do without the pump housing to supply the air transfers, this would also allow the low engine to be lubricated as a 4-stroke and therefore considerably reduce the unburned hydrocarbons ( oil) . : Mrgreen:

A+
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
micdhi
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: compressed air heat engine

by micdhi » 15/12/07, 19:39

Flytox wrote:Hello Micdhi

Supplying a reactor with a reserve of compressed air seems to me to be a great waste. The fuel / air ratio is around 1/50 on a gas turbine. The air is mainly used to cool the hottest parts, combustion chamber, blades etc ... A reactor is an air chasm. I will be very surprised that a simple compressed air motor does not have a much higher efficiency.

Not understood how you want to run your engine without crankshaft and that with exhaust valves? : Mrgreen:

Good evening
a reactor consumes how much power by compressing the air so that it heats up enough and ignites kerosene or other, for a diesel one needs at least 20 bars, so the flow x by the pressure = ??? surely a lot of watt.
here they remove the compressor that there is before a reactor.

for the engine I'm talking about,
with an air reserve travel a sufficient distance and remove the intake valve.
at TDC (approximately) injection of air and fuel, expansion of the piston goes down then it goes up = exhaust at the end of exhaust reinjection of air and fuel.
it becomes a 2-stroke without pump housing and with oil instead.
ps; there are 2-stroke without pump casing, eg 2-stroke daihatsu diesels, detroit diesel, sulzer, etc. but let's say that they are considered to be semi 2-stroke since they all have exhaust valves. like the one above.
0 x
loop
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by loop » 15/12/07, 21:52

Bonsoir

Here is a link to the presentation of an amateur glider construction project, unfortunately abandoned for financial reasons

http://puceduciel.free.fr/article.php3?id_article=5

A more successful project, that of the German autonomous electric take-off glider Antarès 20E

http://www.lange-flugzeugbau.com/htm/en ... s_20E.html

Good reading

A+
0 x
Other
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 15/12/07, 22:35

Hello
Can I hope to improve the performance of my diesel engine, and thus reduce its fuel consumption, if the pressure is significantly increased in the intake system?

In some way this would mean making more air swallowed in a diesel, this is approximately what happens when an atmospheric diesel runs at low speed or at low speed, it swallows at each stroke of the piston the maximum of air for a very small drop of injected gasiol.

Unlike a petrol engine which swallows very little air when idling.
on the petrol engine
On the negative side you have to suck through a close butterfly, it adjusts the right amount of air to burn the fuel, low pressure at the time of the flame front explosion less rapid.
On the positive side, there is little air to compress so little effort
there are fewer losses per wall during the compression cycle (less mass)

On diesel
the negative side there is an excess of air which must be compressed therefore a good proportion of nitrogen which causes that to expand at high compression this requires a good% of unnecessary work, an ecororific epert in the cylinder head at the end of compression no recoverable.
On the positive side, no restrictions on admission and a guarantee of having enough air to burn the drop of gasiol injected.

the experience of those who walk with water doping with a good adaptation on the air consumption of a diesel at Regime (normal) does not affect the consumption (mounting with venturi or adjustable butterfly.)

If this were the case, for atmospheric engines by removing the entire air filter there should be better economy.
for turbos, it would be enough to play on the west gate to increase the air boost.
Yes we have a maximum power gain, but not in economy.

Andre
0 x
loop
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by loop » 15/12/07, 23:04

Thank you André for this clarification

For the use of compressed air / electricity in aviation, I created a new subject with a link that I invite you to consult (for those who are not allergic to aircraft, heavy consumers of hydrocarbons, but perhaps be more for a long time !!! : Cheesy:

A+
0 x