Campaign against agrofuels (Oxfam and environmentalists)

crude vegetable oil, diester, bio-ethanol or other biofuels, or fuel of vegetable origin ...
Christophe

Campaign against agrofuels (Oxfam and environmentalists)

by Christophe » 30/10/08, 10:33

Oxfam, CCFD - Terre solidaire and Friends of the Earth have just launched an action / petition against AGROFuels.

I gladly relay it and I am happy that they are talking about AGROfuels and not BIOfuels, thus only condemning 1st generation biofuels (that is to say biofuels made from food plants and which are now correctly named title AGROcarburants) and not the principle of biofuels as a whole (as many other media have already done!). For info, we proposed this distinction in December 2007 on Econologie.com! https://www.econologie.com/agrocarburant ... -3575.html

The campaign concerns and denounces especially:
a) the tension on food quotations (supposedly because of biofuels but we understood that it was mainly speculation)
b) the inadmissible coupling between certain agricultural products and oil prices! A bit like the price of firewood is coupled with the price of oil ...

I still didn't understand why, given the technical and cultural differences (no pun intended ... though) as much Mexican corn, as French wheat or Indian rice were all listed by Chicago traders...

Oxfam wrote:“The agrofuels, it doesn’t feed his world ”

At a time when negotiations are opening at European level on large-scale consumption of agrofuels, Oxfam France - Agir ici is launching, with the CCFD - Terre solidaire and Les Amis de la Terre, the campaign "Agrofuels, that not feed his world ”.

Carried out in partnership with Indonesian, Colombian, Beninese and Brazilian associations, the campaign opposes any quantified objective of incorporating agrofuels into the energy consumption of European transport by 2020.

The member associations of the campaign highlight the catastrophic impacts of large-scale development of agrofuels, at all levels: food, environmental and social. Disastrous effects which can only be mitigated by the revision of policies to support this market and not by an illusory certification or a future "second generation".

Indeed, presented as the miracle solution against the exhaustion of oil reserves but also as a remedy for global warming, agrofuels today threaten local populations and food crops by monopolizing the land and natural resources. They are also contributing to the global rise in food prices which has plunged almost 100 million more people into hunger and poverty and endangered the livelihoods of 300 million people. This figure, already intolerable, could double by 2025 if the current rush on agrofuels continues.

From a strictly environmental point of view, the massive development of agrofuels has serious ecological impacts on our planet, in the North as in the South: increase in chemical pollution, genetic risk or even depletion of biodiversity, soils and water reserves .

Don't hesitate to visit the campaign website www.agrocarb.fr

Web extension of the campaign, it contains a great deal of additional information (reports, additional file, mobilization document, etc.) and allows you to follow the latest news on agrofuels as closely as possible via a blog fed by the member associations of the campaign.

ps: the oil Laigret is it a biofuel in the strict sense according to you? :?:
Last edited by Christophe the 05 / 11 / 08, 22: 43, 3 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/10/08, 10:55

Here are the campaign documents:

Campaign presentation leaflet

The petition, to print and have it filled out

Complementary dossier of the campaign, with precise information on agrofuels.

There are also some cool banners here: http://www.agrocarb.fr/kit-de-mobilisation.php

By the way, I just presented the Laigret Project to the Oxfam person who presented this campaign to me ... I will keep you posted if it interests them!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/11/08, 08:51

0 x
C moa
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by C moa » 10/11/08, 09:58

I find this initiative very good, too bad that it was not anticipated earlier but good ... old biker that I liked !!!

As a reminder, this excellent book by fabrice Nicolino "The hunger, the car, the wheat and us" published over a year ago : Evil: : Evil: .

Otherwise, they are still talking about adding 10% agrofuel to conventional fuel when it seems to me that the European Commission has returned to this point.

Good luck to them.

PS: we can sign the petition online.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/11/08, 12:50

We talked about it on forums: https://www.econologie.com/forums/la-faim-la ... t4072.html

The author unfortunately makes the amalgamation with all biofuels ... probably Laigret understood ...

See the comments he made to me by email ...
0 x
C moa
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by C moa » 10/11/08, 14:46

I would have to reread the book because honestly I especially remember that he denounced the use of agrarian surface to make fuel with all that that implies (use of water, pesticides, impact on the price of raw materials , agricultural lobby ...).

What would be interesting is perhaps to ask his opinion more than a year later. A year ago, AMHA, 2nd generation biofuels were not too topical or even it was science fiction for certain techniques. Note that they are not yet ready for the most part.

For me, Laigret is either part of a third generation of biofuel or of a separate category because it is a question of relying on "waste" of much larger origin than that resulting from agriculture. And a year ago ... : Mrgreen:
0 x
Elec
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Generation 1, 2 and 3 agrofuels: the impasse

by Elec » 21/12/08, 20:43

Generation 1, 2 and 3 agrofuels: the impasse.
Explanations here:
http://www.electron-economy.org/article-23222635.html
0 x
A2E
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Re: Generation Biofuels 1, 2 and 3: deadlock

by A2E » 22/12/08, 08:28

Elec wrote:Generation 1, 2 and 3 agrofuels: the impasse.
Explanations here:

your link is not valid] :|
Soon the agrocarb's will be developed at high speed when our Chinese and Hindu friends like us have 2 cars per household, oil will no longer be enough to fuel all these beautiful cars! : Cry:

Change quote-delnoram
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 22/12/08, 09:37

Yes, the link works with me.

Here are people who have good ideas, but who do not know the concentrated solar ... Infinitely more powerful than the oil harvested in these countries very aggressive for plants (drought) :|
0 x
Elec
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: Generation Biofuels 1, 2 and 3: deadlock

by Elec » 22/12/08, 16:46

A2E wrote:
Elec wrote:Generation 1, 2 and 3 agrofuels: the impasse.
Explanations here:

your link is not valid] :|
Soon the agrocarb's will be developed at high speed when our Chinese and Hindu friends like us have 2 cars per household, oil will no longer be enough to fuel all these beautiful cars! : Cry:

Change quote-delnoram

The link works ... I don't know what's going on with you.

China:
- 95% of motorcycles are already electric in this country
- China is massively launching into the production of electric cars (with BYD in particular)
- China is making great progress in the field of renewable energies: wind, PV etc. There are also CSP (solar thermodynamic concentration) projects
0 x

Back to "biofuels, biofuels, biofuels, BtL, non-fossil alternative fuels ..."