Ecological balance sheet of paper recycling

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!
Pat LN
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Ecological balance sheet of paper recycling

by Pat LN » 17/02/08, 18:31

Hello,

I have to encourage recycling of paper in the high school in which I teach, and I research arguments and figures. I am very frustrated because we only find on the internet sentences like: "recycling paper uses less energy" I am okay, but is there on the forum competent people who could give me reliable figures?

on the site of the city of paris, i found figures: they recovered 88350 tonnes of paper, and the authors say that this represents a saving of 970230 megawatt hours (without citing the sources of the figures ...) that you seems consistent?

thank you in advance

amicalement

pat LN
0 x
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 17/02/08, 18:37

Hello Pat, I can not answer you on the figures but I have already made the reflection that there was, especially in schools, a significant source of cellulose wadding. So either we recycle the paper to redo it or we transform it into cellulose wadding, an excellent insulator.
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 17/02/08, 19:19

Recovery operations
The different categories of paper are transferred to sorting centers in order to be prepared for recycling:
- Sorting: The recovered paper / cardboard are sorted in order to optimize their preparation by categories and qualities
- Decontamination: Prohibited and improper materials are eliminated
Packing / packaging: Depending on their qualities, the batches of paper received are crushed, compacted and packaged in the form of bales using a press

Downstream / Trading
100% material recovery: paper and cardboard are resold in the form of bales to stationers in
France or for export (China, India…). They will be used as secondary raw materials (MPS) to make paper pulp

http://www.veolia-proprete.fr/index.asp?section_id=269

In my company : Cheesy: a bucket leaves every 10 days, with the cuts of caroll strips (drilled with holes, every ½ inch), paper rolls treated at printing and shipping.

I asked Veolia, what they do with it after ...
As it is clean, white quality paper, it is compressed, packaged and sold.
0 x
stone-ernest
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by stone-ernest » 20/02/08, 12:53

Unfortunately, I believe that recycling paper, with the price of oil going up, it becomes sugar to make the dog jump...

Indeed :
We cannot advocate at a time to use the wood sector (which amounts to burning wood) and not to do the same thing with the old paper, burnt with the household waste in the best possible conditions of recovery of calories (the old paper represents only wood , and require roughly the same energy for recycling as the use of paper pulp from wood, if we add the costs of collection, sorting, deinking, and above all the multiple transport related to it.

The "generous" idea of ​​saving trees by using less paper is similar to that of eating less bread to save ears of wheat.
Wood, like wheat, is planted and managed.
0 x
I exist, so I pollute. But I clean
pparizzi
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Office paper recycling figures

by pparizzi » 21/04/09, 14:54

Today 80% of office paper is destroyed in landfill or incineration while the production of paper from used paper allows to consume 200 times less water and 3 times less energy. Adopting paper recycling means reducing its environmental impact, creating new jobs often from the solidarity economy and being in compliance with the 1992 law which obliges companies to recycle their paper and cardboard.

For more information on recycling paper and other topics, go to: www.sequovia.com
0 x
stone-ernest
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Re: Office paper recycling figures

by stone-ernest » 21/04/09, 19:06

pparizzi wrote:Today 80% of office paper is destroyed in landfill or incineration while the production of paper from used paper allows to consume 200 times less water and 3 times less energy. Adopting paper recycling means reducing its environmental impact, creating new jobs often from the solidarity economy and being in compliance with the 1992 law which obliges companies to recycle their paper and cardboard.

For more information on recycling paper and other topics, go to: www.sequovia.com

The figures from sequovia.com seem completely fanciful to me. When you say things like that, you should at least cite its sources!
In any case, these statements do not corroborate the studies cited by ADEME see: http://www.ademe.fr/entreprises/Management-env/Approche-produit/Bilan_ACV_recyclage/Fili%C3%A8res/Papier%20carton/FIN%2097.pdf, or : http://www.ademe.fr/entreprises/Management-env/Approche-produit/Bilan_ACV_recyclage/Fili%C3%A8res/Papier%20carton/RDC%202001%20%5BPC%5D.pdf .
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 21/04/09, 19:55

Well, since I learned that Belgian recycled paper is in CHINA, I decided to burn the vast majority of our paper and cardboard in our stove ... : Evil: : Evil:

See this Arte report: https://www.econologie.com/forums/arte-repor ... t3118.html

We only put for recycling plasticized or too "colored" cardboard / paper (food packaging) and glossy or too chlorinated paper (bleached envelopes) ... in short, those which pollute when they burn ...
0 x
stone-ernest
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by stone-ernest » 22/04/09, 00:36

Christophe wrote:We only put for recycling plasticized or too "colored" cardboard / paper (food packaging) and glossy or too chlorinated paper (bleached envelopes) ... in short, those which pollute when they burn ...

What makes you think 1) that bleached paper contains chlorine, or 2) that a product that contains chlorine "pollutes" when burned?

Both things are wrong.

1) after having played its role "bleacher", ie oxidizer, the chlorine dioxide used for the bleaching of the paper pulp is neutralized by sodium chloride, or sea salt. That one, you can heat it beyond its melting point (801 ° C) without it decomposing.
But anyway, as the pulp is flushed after bleaching, there is no longer any chloride in the paper, bleached or not.

2) Now, if there are products that can give hydrochloric acid when burned, you should know that the law requires treat fumes to extract things like hydrochloric acid.

Many non-chemists believe myths ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 22/04/09, 00:50

Is that so? (Bachelot)

1) What about the green flame? It is significant of which compounds if it is not chlorine compounds?

I have never seen salt that made a GREEN flame! It's rather red salt if I remember correctly ... So your rinse in my opinion ... sorry but it is probably not complete ...

1a) Are you saying that recycled paper sold "less white" because bleached without chlorine is pipo?

Either but then pkoi when I burn them, there is no green flame? A random?

2) Is it true that we all have filters on our wood stoves ...?

Signed: the "mythical non-chemist" ... : Shock:
0 x
stone-ernest
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by stone-ernest » 22/04/09, 09:46

I think the green flame of chlorine bleached paper is another myth ...

When you burn chlorinated plastic (pvc) you get a green flame because you give offhydrochloric acid.

But when you burn paper that has been bleached with chlorine (chlorine dioxide) not only is there no hydrochloric acid, but there is not even sodium chloride (which, anyway, would make a rather orange flame ...).

I invite all skeptics to experience it in their fireplaces. It is indeed burn white paper to see if it has a green flame ...
Now, we can also stay with our certainties without trying above all to confirm them. It reassures ...
0 x

Back to "waste, recycling and reuse of old objects"