We Feed The World Tonight on Arte

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Christophe

We Feed The World Tonight on Arte

by Christophe » 07/04/09, 02:33

We feed the world - The hunger market (Austria, 2005, 90mn)

How the European food industry overproduces tasteless food and starves the Third World. A flagship documentary on globalization.

The starting point of this film, which was a real public success when it was released in theaters in France in 2007, was Erwin Wagenhofer's desire to move up the chain of products sold on the markets of Vienna, his city. A curiosity that led him from Austria to Brazil via Romania and Andalusia, the capital of "winter vegetables", and through Switzerland - there he met Jean Ziegler, then special rapporteur for the right to food from the United Nations Human Rights Council, and Peter Brabeck, CEO of Nestlé. Along the way, some simple questions arise: why do the tomatoes travel 3 km to reach the Austrian consumer and why are they found, at a price lower than local productions, in the markets of Dakar? Why are 000 tonnes of fresh bread thrown in Vienna every day? Why are wheat and corn grown in Austria burnt, and why are chickens crammed with Brazilian soybeans on factory farms? If we produce enough to feed 2 billion human beings, as Jean Ziegler says, why do 000 million of them suffer from hunger? Why does the Romanian government want to make its farmers dependent on the expensive hybrid seeds sold by Pioneer (a multinational whose slogan "We feed the world" gives the film its title)?

Blues
The boss of Nestlé, too, wonders: why, in a world so prosperous and so comfortable, which gives us "everything we want", do we have "vague in the soul"? His brief, uplifting intervention closes a superbly filmed and rhythmic journey. But Peter Brabeck doesn't just embody the villain of the story, giving a voice and a face to multinational cynicism. He reminds the spectator in his own way that the absurd world which has just unfolded before his eyes is also conditioned by its own consumption. Also We feed the world, like Darwin's nightmare, but also Super size me or Our daily bread, broadcast this week by ARTE, it calls for awareness and responsibility.

http://www.arte.tv/fr/semaine/244,broad ... =2009.html

Do not miss either: Super Size me broadcast next Thursday

Last edited by Christophe the 20 / 11 / 09, 11: 07, 1 edited once.
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 07/04/09, 09:38

interesting indeed : Idea: Thank you Christophe.
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 07/04/09, 09:40

: Arrow: It is not 850 million humans who are suffering from hunger, but already more than 1 billion today. : Cry:

Jean Ziegler is much more incisive. he says that a society that produces enough to feed 12 billion people and lets 1 billion die, actually kills them. : Arrowl:

A must-see movie. : Arrowl:

And then to follow the situation in real time: worldometer
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/04/09, 10:06

No matter Citro, the order of magnitude is the same: gigantic ... and whose consequences are humanly infinitely more serious than other "diseases" much more publicized.

Because yes, in 2009, I think that being hungry or thirsty is a disease that can be cured even by not being a doctor ...

We continue to infuse them with humanitarian associations which maintain entire regions on the verge of famine ...

I think this is wanted by the richest ... and that it suits us well ...

Finally we will see the message ...

See also Our daily bread but it passes Saturday evening at 1 am ... not top as schedule

Darwin's nightmare is the only one I have ever seen: it is quite gory but I had read that some scenes had been diverted from their context (like the drying of carcasses which is not intended for human consumption ).
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/04/09, 00:31

It was not bad but a little long at times, I expected better.

Some good phrases of the essential Jean Ziegler

This was followed by 3 other reports on the food industry.
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 08/04/09, 11:36

Christophe wrote:[...] Because yes, in 2009, I think that being hungry or thirsty is a disease that we can guerrir even by not being a doctor ... [...]
Woooh!
Superb slip when we see the situation of countries where hunger is the daily life of millions of people ...
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/04/09, 13:41

Ah yes superb fote especially! I wanted to say heal obviously but with 2 r it's even stronger! Guerrir of the verb guerrer obviously!

In fact I did it on purpose but unconsciously! : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:
0 x
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Christine » 08/04/09, 13:57

christophe wrote:In fact I did it on purpose but unconsciously!

A missed act, what.
:D

It's crazy, it only dates from 2007 and yet it already seems old. It does not mention at all the problem of zo-fuels or the cereal crisis of 2008 which have contributed a lot to raising public awareness in the meantime.
Last edited by Christine the 08 / 04 / 09, 14: 00, 1 edited once.
0 x
renaud67
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by renaud67 » 08/04/09, 13:59

Christine wrote:
christophe wrote:In fact I did it on purpose but unconsciously!

A missed act, what.
:D

But rather successful no :D
0 x
The absurdities of yesterday are the truths of today and tomorrow banalities.
(Alessandro Marandotti)
minguinhirigue
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by minguinhirigue » 08/04/09, 14:06

Citro, Ziegler specifies that these are the FAO figures ...

The high statistics of the Second World War (6 years) are 72 million dead.

The 10 million annual deaths linked to hunger represent almost the same result as the second world war !?

Without throwing stone at the English (they are the only ones I have the statistics !? But a lot of Europeans do the same ...), they threw in 2007 18 to 20 million tonnes of food products. However, at the ratio of their population to the world population (0,76%), on an equal sharing of resources, they should have about 10,7 million of the 1,4 billion tonnes of food produced each year in the world.

These are simplistic and crude calculations, but it is already a step for awareness ...
0 x