The Fragmented Branchwoods

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Makarov
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

The Fragmented Branchwoods

by Makarov » 31/10/07, 10:54

Hello,
I saw that there were a few subjects where the BRF themes were addressed. Having worked on the subject during the last two 2 years I propose to animate this subject which will lead to numerous placements I hope.
Here is an article to be published in a magazine soon.
Good reading!

The BRF revolution: towards new agriculture

BRF this acronym for “Fragmented Twig Woods” is that of a technique from Canada that will transform our way of farming and our relationship with the land and nature. Forget everything about the life of the soil. Here the mushrooms are our friends. Thanks to them, no more watering, erosion, difficult tillage, fertilizers, pesticides, “weeds” !!!

There are sometimes simple things around us that we did not understand. Nature is organized, allows life and nourishes, according to simple cycles and almost without effort. The man who cultivates the land has become a slave to it. He plows, sows and harvests, in a riot of effort and energy. Today under its action, the soils are getting poorer, eroding and disappearing into dust, swept away by the winds, by the waters and are polluted. Because all agriculture destroys the soil, even in Organic. For the past 2 years, yields have been falling everywhere, because the organic matter in the soil has been consumed by 50 years of chemical fertilization and the situation will worsen. The soil is moving inexorably towards complete and irreversible sterilization. The end of so-called modern agriculture! Fatality? NO! Here again nature shows us the example. The forests, from which humans and cultivable lands come, are our only hope and the trees its ambassadors of life and abundance ... what?

Genesis of the BRFs: Our cousins ​​from Quebec ...

In the 70s, the abundance of forest waste from the maintenance of high-voltage lines, at Edgar Guay, then attached to the Quebec Ministry of Forests, which after studying the Jean Pain method and surface composting, led to the idea of ​​using them in agriculture. The attempts to raise the rate of organic matter, essential for the proper functioning of the soil, at Mr. Carrier, farmer's, are spectacular. It spreads fresh, the crushed branches of small diameters, which will become the "BRF", combined with slurry, then incorporated superficially into the original soil, an almost sterile gravel! Fertility indicators are skyrocketing; the treated plot withstands the drought of that year, the witness was devastated. The second year saw a grain harvest 170% higher than the control.
Gilles Lemieux professor at the University of Laval, Quebec, studies the processes, concludes that it is necessary to form forest soils for agricultural purposes in order to reconstitute the soils, increase yields, fight against erosion and drought. He publishes the results, communicates and a working group on the BRF is created, the "aggravating" revolution has started.

Definition:

The culture on BRF, it is the use of green branches of less than 7 cm, hitherto considered as waste and burned, crushed and spread in a layer of about 2cm on the ground, possibly sown with soil of undergrowth, all incorporated into the first 10 cm of the ground, by scratching. Then we sow or we transplant and we watch it grow.

Mechanisms: pedogenesis

The BRF is the richest part of the tree. It contains 75% of the minerals, amino acids, proteins and catalysts.
Firstly, it stimulates the life of the soil and helps to recreate the soil as in the forest, because it is quickly colonized by microorganisms and in particular the basidiomycete fungi (known as white rot), which feed on cellulose, before to attack the lignin and release the huge amounts of solar energy stored in the wood. These so-called fungus mushrooms are the only ones capable of depolymerizing lignin still young from the twigs. They then weave a veritable web of white filaments (50 to 60% of the soil's biomass excluding roots) and secrete sticky substances, improving the structure of the soil. Then the pedofauna, of which earthworms are the most active (4 tonnes / ha), graze the mushrooms, crush the soil and organic matter, increasing the porosity of the soil and water infiltration.
Second, the digestion of BRF by the life of the soil, leads to the significant formation of humus, an essential element of fertility, long-term stability, capacity for retaining water and nutrients. The figures speak for themselves: 1m3 of BRF produces 75kg of humus, or 7,5t / ha for 100m3 / ha provided within 2 years. This corresponds to 10 years of compost intake. The increase in the amount of earthworms is phenomenal and the soil structure changes almost seen from week to week.

The relationship with plants: the effects are spectacular!

The cultures on BRF are found in a living environment, in total symbiosis with pedofauna, which limits diseases and pests, through the game of the right balance. If they are hungry, the plants knock on the door of the mushrooms and exchange sugars for minerals and trace elements, essential for growth and development. Ditto in case of illness, with natural antibiotics synthesized by fungi. They are never in need of water, because the BRF stocks 350l / m3. So we limit or even completely eliminate watering. With a C / N ratio of 50, the nitrogen stored represents 300 Units / 100m3 of which 180U directly from the BRF, the rest is taken from the soil. Present in organic form and gradually released, it is available throughout the plant cycle while avoiding loss and pollution by nitrates. All for at least 4 years!

The species to use

Tests have shown that hardwood mixtures give the best results. Softwoods must be banned or less than 20% of the total volume.

How to use

Harvest the twigs, at best in November, at worst in January-February, crush them using a mechanical grinder, as thin as possible, between 2 and 3 cm long and spread them immediately on a ground clean, preferably, or recently working. For poor soils or for a long time working with chemistry, it will be necessary to seed the BRF in mychoris mushrooms, with forest soil, rich in white rot, at a rate of 10g / m3. Then it is possible to incorporate the BRF immediately on the ground, by a dogging at 5 or 10cm or to wait between 20 and 60 days to do it. In large crops a harrow or discs do the job very well. It takes between 150 to 300m3 of ground material / ha, which represents the normal spreading of 25 to 40 tonnes of manure / ha. Consider cleaning about 4 or 5 ha of wood per hectare of field established in BRF. Allow 4 to 5 working days to 4 to perform all operations. After 4 years repeat the operation with 25m3 / ha, this time without nitrogen hunger.

Special indications and remarks

In the first year the mushrooms take large quantities of nitrogen, necessary for their installation. It follows a more or less significant "hunger for nitrogen", especially if the installation took place at the end of winter. To remedy this, it is interesting to cultivate a legume, at the head of the rotation, the first year. For example, clover or alfalfa will store large quantities of organic nitrogen returned to crops as needed, for 3 to 4 years, avoiding the addition of manure or chemical fertilizers. to feed the cattle. The breeder avoids the leaching of nitrogen, feeds the cattle and can also use it in stable mulching before spreading it. The circle is complete. Note that there is no phytotoxicity noted in any culture.
This technique is applicable to all forms of agriculture: market gardening, field crops, forestry, arboriculture and vineyards, all types of soil and all climates with surprising results!

Mind

The resource is almost unlimited, especially since many forests are dying for lack of renewal and that the municipalities and the DDE do not know what to do with pruning residues. The re-establishment of fruit hedges, in field crops, would improve the biodiversity and health balance necessary for the proper functioning of an ecosystem, as shown by INRA studies on this subject. They would make it possible to have the BRF resource on hand, to recharge the water tables, to cut the harmful effects of the wind and the sun and finally to improve the incomes of farmers, doomed to find new sources of income, with the drying up. CAP aid in 2012.
Finally, one path may be to explore, that of the carbon market. Indeed why not to cash Carbon rights against are storage thanks to the BRF! We are talking here about a potential € 23 billion market!

Questions, feedback? do not hesitate write!
0 x
Be determined not to serve you and this is already free! (La Boétie)
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Fragmented Twig Woods

by the middle » 31/10/07, 17:53

Interesting.
I remember
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 31/10/07, 18:45

If plants like it in this humus.

How to deal with the problem of weeds, which we do not want?
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 31/10/07, 19:49

gegyx wrote:If plants like it in this humus.

How to deal with the problem of weeds, which we do not want?

You put ron : Cheesy: : Cheesy: : Cheesy: dup
I am kidding
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 31/10/07, 23:51

Bonjour à tous

This type of fertilizer reminds me of the Amazonian "terra preta". There is also a question of microbial development etc ...

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_preta

A+
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Makarov
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Makarov » 06/11/07, 13:03

Well for the "weeds", the nitrophiles are decimated by the sampling of nitrogen at the beginning of the process, but I always advise the installation on clean ground therefore work and loosened as for a sowing (false sowing), the seeds will germinate and it is necessary to pass a blow of tool to destroy them like 2 or 3 times before the installation. There, the store of seeds is greatly reduced. Moreover if the first implantation is a legume, like clover, alfalfa or beans / peas, well the seeds which will want to grow they are badly barred! lol!
Basically this is the technique, but this does not seem to have anything to do with terra preta because they speak of microbial life while the BRF is essentially based on the fungus.
0 x
renaud67
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by renaud67 » 06/11/07, 13:19

Hello,
I recently bought this book:
The BRF you know?
(Raméal Fragmented Wood)
Jacky dupety

that I haven't started yet :|
I have a non-irrigated olive orchard which particularly suffered from drought this year (in the 04) one of the advantages from what I understood is precisely to better retain water :D
always according to some reading for a plot of 1/2 ha: it would take about 60 m3 in size I have just a piece of forest next to it : Cheesy:
one of the questions I ask myself is for an individual what type of grinder is needed.

@+
Renaud

PS: I live 80km from my orchard, the realization will be done but over time
0 x
The absurdities of yesterday are the truths of today and tomorrow banalities.
(Alessandro Marandotti)
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 06/11/07, 13:34

Hello everyone !

Do you think that a plant shredder is enough to crush the twigs ("at the time of twigs" precisely) to make this precious fertilizer?

I have one I am tempted to try it out, I think that all the gaps (hedges of paths) can also be suitable?

thanks.
0 x
Makarov
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Makarov » 06/11/07, 15:21

For a verber it is enough to spread it around the trees to a thickness of 4 to 5 cm, for the shredder, the electrics rarely exceed 4cm in diameter for grinding possibility. The big problem is actually the shredder, Arrange with local farmers or last solution areas to equip themselves but the cost is important. I have so far not found a thermal grinder for less than 3000 €.
The grinders which are used for the brf and for the production of plates for heating are the same.
It is possible, for a garden, to do it by hand with a hatchet but you really need nothing else to do with your days !!!
Rest home-made ?!
Anyone want to get started?
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 06/11/07, 15:53

what is a verber?

otherwise my electric shredder was not worth much it is the recovery, after for the cutting length, 4cm, I think it varies according to many parameters like the essence of the wood, ....

how else to adjust the cutting length? by slowing down the electric rotation with a variator?

I speak of a use as a private individual of course.
0 x