Slugs - girlfriends? enemies? the conference of Hervé Coves

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Slugs - girlfriends? enemies? the conference of Hervé Coves

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 27/06/17, 23:58

For the moment not the slightest slug in my corner but I hear so much about it in the vegetable gardens further north that these 2 videos may be of interest to those who are confronted with this mollusk ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szyWyR_PSTA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0NyYBLe0n0
1 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Slugs - girlfriends? enemies? the conference of Hervé Coves

by izentrop » 29/06/17, 14:01

Hello,
This Agricultural Engineer teaches us the holistic management of pests by offering the lodging and the cover to their predators : Twisted: . This requires a great deal of knowledge of their way of life to keep them in place all year round.

Many tried the principle and abandoned the following year, accusing the mulches of harboring slugs and rodents. It takes a little more patience and observation for the balance to be established.
And then, you have to agree to eat radishes a little bit nibbled by mini-slugs. A rinse is sufficient, no need to remove the attacked parts.

An installed biodiversity will also be beneficial for other pests. Except that globalization has brought us pests that have no predators here. This year, evil bug (I'm not inventing) make the raspberries inedible.

Aphids are no longer a problem, even at the start of the season, thanks in part to the Asian ladybug : Mrgreen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNz4AxXepyQ

All this blah to introduce this no less holistic video :) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w3qhWkfRMY
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 29/06/17, 15:17

izentrop wrote:
It takes a little more patience and observation for the balance to be established.
And then, you have to agree to eat radishes a little bit nibbled by mini-slugs. A rinse is sufficient, no need to remove the attacked parts.

Above all, realize that by definition of the word "balance", it means to tolerate the presence of the parasite in question. Otherwise, his enemies, our auxiliaries, starve or leave the trunk ...

I express this by saying: "In order not to have a problem with a parasite, it is necessary to breed this parasite" (implied to attract and feed its enemies, who are my auxiliaries).

And so I introduce martyr plants, particularly attractive to the main parasites!

Now, the question of balance is much more complex, a bit like the wavelets of a body of water on which many boats sail ... Go and predict, at a given place, what will happen!

Because imagine that the enemy, your auxiliary, also has his enemies ... who himself have ... enemies ...

And so the balance is the inevitably complex result of all these variations ... of all this "happy mess", with variations in the cycles which can be multi-year. Or even, temporarily, get off the hinges! It's natural" !

The belief that the balance is as smooth as a balance that does not move is ... silly!

And sometimes, we go beyond the limits of "the acceptable", except to make a cross on its crops.

This is the limit of the presentation of Coves. He passes over.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 29/06/17, 17:46

Did67 wrote:The belief that the balance is as smooth as a balance that does not move is ... silly!
And sometimes, we go beyond the limits of "the acceptable", except to make a cross on its crops.
Can you clarify there?

He is a poet in his way of telling, but we understand the message.
For the effect of the nettle manure on the diplopods at 28 min, I still have a doubt on the incredible explanation ??
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 29/06/17, 19:39

izentrop wrote:
Did67 wrote:The belief that the balance is as smooth as a balance that does not move is ... silly!
Can you clarify there?

He is a poet in his way of telling, but we understand the message.

I saw this video a while ago, but I admit that I no longer remember its content, even if I remember the character, I have to watch it again.

On the other hand, on "the limits of what is acceptable", of course Didier will answer, but for me it is quite clear. There are years when for some reason, most often in my opinion the weather is, because the weather can be favorable to the pest in question and on the contrary not favorable to its predators, the population of this or that pest explodes.

In this case we are trying to take measures, because if we make a vegetable garden it is not a priori to feed slugs ....

And slugs are not (to my knowledge) endangered species.
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 29/06/17, 20:32

Hi,
It was one of the first videos that marked me, I like the character, an impression of a preaching monk with an illuminated smile ...
I think that his reflections are rather good, remains to adapt them at home and find or put the tolerance sliders. Let the vegetables live after harvest, make surface composting, are applications of his ideas, he does not say not to pick them up and watch the slugs devour his seedlings, just tolerate, keep away and defend himself minimum version. I no longer have an anti-slug, and I'm fine for now, while I'm not there, a dozen disappearances attributable only, far from 10%, but this year and rather cool slug question, I will see in autumn....
I think that applying its principles requires a lot of knowledge and questioning, completely unimaginable for many, the vegetable garden of the lazy also.
It should not be forgotten that no one, even in all chemicals, completely gets rid of slugs, outdoors.
Olivier.
1 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 29/06/17, 20:43

olivier75 wrote:Hi,
It was one of the first videos that marked me, I like the character, an impression of a preaching monk with an illuminated smile ...

He is a Franciscan monk.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 29/06/17, 21:36

sicetaitsimple wrote:
On the other hand, on "the limits of what is acceptable", of course Didier will answer, but for me it is quite clear. There are years when for some reason, most often in my opinion the weather is, because the weather can be favorable to the pest in question and on the contrary not favorable to its predators, the population of this or that pest explodes.

In this case we are trying to take measures, because if we make a vegetable garden it is not a priori to feed slugs ....

And slugs are not (to my knowledge) endangered species.

Absolutely. Despite the significant presence of fungi, despite the later beetles, and a hedgehog in the area recently discovered fortuitously, this spring I had a peak, with damage on young splants exceeding 70% in the case of escaroles, and tending towards the 50% in the case of cabbage or fennel.

So I had to practice "picking", with a headlamp, for ten days ...

And it became flat calm again.

It happens that at the end of winter, the slugs are active, but the predators are still "asleep" ...

So "balance" there will be. But too late.

So "relying on balances" is at least annoying. Talk to the African farmers who are victims of the desert locusts - yet, de facto, their crops are often "organic" (because they cannot afford pesticides and fertilizers - this is not at all true in the cotton perimeters) ...

So it's good to explain. But the drift of concluding laissez-faire, since there will be a balance, is dangerous ...
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 29/06/17, 21:40

sicetaitsimple wrote:
olivier75 wrote:Hi,

He is a Franciscan monk.

Besides, you can be a monk and an agronomist, these are the monks who, to my knowledge, have made the most progress in agronomic techniques.

But one can also be an old atheist donkey and yet an agronomist, I have names!
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 29/06/17, 21:47

You can be a monk or an old atheist donkey, the important thing is to have faith ... or hay?
Or faith in hay? :?

I do not know anymore... : Wink:
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."