The life of the seeds ...

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

The life of the seeds ...

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 11/09/17, 01:28

I would like to know more about the life, survival, death of seeds sown in direct sowing.

In other words, will a seed sown at an instant T (say in summer) and whose germination can take place only when the average temperatures are around 10 ° germinate or not?

Is it a question of percentage of chance to germinate?
Namely for example that it is 80% more likely to germinate if it is sown at the right time rather than a bad one

Unless the seed doesn't care and wait wisely for its time
In this case can it wait for its hour X time?
Or not?

It's a question that has been on my mind for quite some time

Examples of surprising rebirths: I had reported fuchsias out of nowhere in pots put in the trash and never watered, but there were also the ferns roasted by the gel and which left again and in recent days the milkweed gentian and the platycodon grilled by the sun and which had disappeared from the surface of the ground and which grow back as if by magic.

Obviously these examples are different from the initial question which only concerns the seeds but I tell myself that perhaps the seed can also come out at the right time even if it was placed on the ground at the wrong time ...

I want to say that in the extreme, if it was the case it would destroy all the gardening advice and the sowing calendars.
And that we could throw all of its seeds from all its plants and vegetables at once on the date X in the year and wait until all of this raises each one at his own time programmed by his personal clock.

But maybe the loss would be considerable?
Or not?

In short if you have lights on the subject it is willingly
1 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: The life of the seeds ...

by phil53 » 11/09/17, 07:14

I have no answer but the example of my cabbages which I manage to grow with difficulty then plant with 80% of the plants which burst or remain dwarf. And this cabbage that I see when I go to work, it has to push itself to wedge between the curb and a very busy street. He's almost apple.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 11/09/17, 08:29

It would be nice to have the seeds notice! :D
It is difficult to give a clear opinion, so the different seeds can have different behaviors. Basically, the seed is designed to patiently wait for the right moment to germinate, so it has the ability to withstand adversity. However, the reasoning applies above all to the scale of the species and there will be numerous individual losses if the waiting period were to be prolonged abnormally long. We must not forget either that the seed lives on its reserves and that a life, even slowed down, will end up exhausting these reserves and that, in the event of survival, the plant will have much less "tone" during its germination. .
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Did67

by Did67 » 11/09/17, 10:07

I think a bit like ahmed. But I supplement a little.

The seed "lost" in the ground, dormant while waiting for better days, interests many people! Let us never forget that the seed is the epitome of biomass for predators. Why is man so interested in the seeds of cereals, legumes, oilseeds ???

Because the "best" is there ... The plant has put there everything life needs: energy, minerals, vitamins ... The stems (straws ...), the roots, man leaves it to poor bacteria, collembola, iules, earthworms ... There, it is built "at the minimum": they are hydro-carbon skeletons (if we remember that the pante toruve the C and H in the air in water, that's what has no value!). So "carbon fibers" galore. But that!

So these seeds which are waiting for the right moment, they need a little luck to be still there "once their spring comes" ...

Another possible "reading": the prolificacy of a species is always linked, in nature, to the "porbability" that a seed replaces the mother plant. In a system in equilibrium, a parent is, at the end of the end, always replaced by a single descendant!

If this parent, in his life, 10 pups, it is because he has a 1 in 10 chance of survival.

If he produces 10, the chance is 000 in 1.

Count the number of seeds produced by a mother plant, and you will have an answer from nature to your question! Not Did or Ahmed's response.

[PS: of course, you have to take into account the fact that, for cultivated plants, man has chipped away a bit, selecting plants that produce more - possibly more seeds when that is what he "predates" !]
1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 11/09/17, 11:51

It's a good subject (because I don't know much about it) ...

What has always fascinated me is the ability of a seed to remain at rest for years and to germinate (therefore come back to life) when it is in good conditions ...

A sort of vegetable cryptobiosis then?
1 x
Carl
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Carl » 21/09/17, 23:00

I will not provide any concrete answer to the subject unfortunately.
But as I find the subject very interesting, I will widen it a little, which will perhaps allow others, to perfect their interpretation in order to find an explanation that will get even closer to the truth ....

I remember the fact that the seed companies, even those a little original like Pascal Poot, say that the seeds have an "expiry date".

Hypothesis: This may only represent a simple commercial disengagement, due to the fact that their seeds, a few years old, do not germinate : Lol:

Origin of this hypothesis: are you familiar with the "Svalbard Global Seed Vault, Norway"?
A pretty project in itself: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%A9se ... u_Svalbard

But then, how can we envisage such a project, if the seeds have an expiration date?
Could it only be due to their packaging ???

Unfortunately, the latest news of the project is not famous:
https://www.lesechos.fr/idees-debats/sc ... 089931.php
http://www.liberation.fr/planete/2017/0 ... nt_1572264

Maybe man will have to realize things and stop resting on a hypothetical Noah's ark : Lol: : Lol: : Lol:
At the same time, I say this only for its simple and modest survival, because I have no doubts for a single moment that the earth, nature and even the seeds that compose it are much more resilient than the human species (or so should he see the human species as an integral component of nature? not wrong, either, but a more fragile species because it is more "recent"?) : Lol: : Lol: : Lol:

In any case, thanks to this type of forum to exist so that we can each, at our humble level and ultimately, all together, find the right path!
Last edited by Carl the 21 / 09 / 17, 23: 09, 1 edited once.
0 x
Adept of laziness and sensitive to the quality of what my family consumes, I wish to make a vegetable garden of the lazy!
Christophe

by Christophe » 21/09/17, 23:06

I imagine that we can extend fairly durably (a few centuries?) The ability to "revive" certain seeds ... otherwise at worst in a few centuries or millennia it will suffice to sequence their DNA to reproduce them ... there are still people on Earth ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 22/09/17, 09:36

Carl wrote:J

Origin of this hypothesis: are you familiar with the "Svalbard Global Seed Vault, Norway"?
A pretty project in itself: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%A9se ... u_Svalbard

But then, how can we envisage such a project, if the seeds have an expiration date?
Could it only be due to their packaging ???

I think they renew their stock from time to time ...

But the problem is not the same:

- a seed producer must legally ensure a high rate of germination (I do not know any more, something like 95% at least, if it is not 99%), and check it periodically on the same batch; he must therefore, when he puts sachets on sale, make a sufficient reserve of sachets, which he must check periodically; we understand that he puts an expiration date after 3 or 4 or 5 years, especially since in the meantime, every year, he does not stop producing the same seeds! It is purely commercial regulations: ensure that the customer has what we sell = seeds that germinate (all).

- in Svalbard, if out of 1 seeds brought, only one germ still in the event of a nuclear disaster or whatnot, the species / variety is saved ... And as you suggest, there the seeds are frozen. We are then in "slowed ultra-life". The eggs or spermatozoa also have, frozen at - 000 °, a very long lifespan while maintaining vitality. Commercial seeds are lying around in stores and garden centers with air conditioning at 200 °.
0 x