The lazy garden made in northern Elsass

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: The lazy garden made in northern Elsass

by Moindreffor » 17/06/18, 10:58

Did67 wrote:There, I was talking about direct seeding in the furrows.

In addition, but it is not a "problem" in the sense that it is solved, in fact, my seedlings made in plates or pots with an ordinary potting soil ("without brand") of the trade remained puny. But then really puny, to the point that I transplanted fine onions like knitting needles, or celery at the 2 true leaf stage (it's tiny) ...

The question of the irregularity of row seedlings (in particular, in my case, of carrots) remains open: slugs, which plane at ground level (see slightly under the ground) at the time of emergence or "anti-germination effect" of the rotting hay, or lack of light at the bottom of the hay furrow ?????? We will have to "research" and identify the cause in order to remedy it! The trial of transplanting very small carrots prepared in seedling plates is conclusive in terms of recovery. You have to wait for the harvest to see what shape the resulting carrots will have!

I tested the seedling plate, not very conclusive, it requires some control, and some tracking, it dries very quickly, maybe too fast for me, so to see at home
paysan.bio, had said that it worked well for carrots, so the first stages, sowing and transplanting, you are valid, we will wait for the harvest with impatience so
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
torrent sites
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by torrent sites » 17/06/18, 11:08

what do you use as a breeding ground?

I speak of seedlings in the ground so without potting soil.
last year I had the same problem with the beans, but I had it (or so it is chance) by putting ferramol with the seeds (so under the soil). I tried this year but it does not work.
FYI, I tried with different bean seeds (several different packages) so I do not think to question the seeds.
I have reshaé beans on what remains of my mounds where the earth is drier. If it gets better it could be a problem of humidity at ground level.

ps: my bucket seedlings (like tomatoes for example) have not been as successful as the other years; I can not say if it is the soil that is involved or the quality of the seeds (I make my own seeds).

maybe after all this is not a good year (although in neighboring gardens it is not a problem.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 17/06/18, 12:34

In any case, it's a different year: no compromising frosts [I regret not having 8 tomato plants in my closed greenhouse; last year, everything had been burnt by the frost of April 21; this year, I have my first tomatoes, but only 1 or 2 per plant!], a lot of water in recent weeks but "hot" ...

Last year's findings do not apply this year, and those from this year probably not next year. “Global warming”, if it doesn't translate to “heat / humidity” this year, mostly translates into more “restlessness”, and therefore something more unpredictable - tropical rains in May are also likely last snowfall end of April ! With that, the "averages" don't mean much anymore.
0 x
torrent sites
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by torrent sites » 15/07/18, 14:53

After long studies conducted on my problem of sowing beans I found the answer (in truth I read something about the forum I believe and I found the same thing at home, so I'm using it):
I unearthed a seed and found a kind of small white slug (and of course a slimy slug) that bore a hole in the seed to devour it from within. It seems that is the larva of a butterfly (I did not remember the name). This butterfly would be attracted by other plants that I let voluntarily seed ... to attract butterflies and other browsers.
What's good, now that I know this, is that I know that if I sow my beans later I have no problem because butterflies only lay once a year (to check)

By cons there is still a mystery: what eat the heart of my cauliflower? there is not one spared (they are planted at 4 vegetable garden corners)?

In another register, the hay of this year is a good vintage in terms of quantity: I think to be largely good for the year and maybe even with a little luck for the beginning of the season next year (I can be still recovering one or two small trailers in someone's house and all for free)
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 15/07/18, 15:31

Yes, "elsewhere" and I do not remember where, I described my setbacks on the early sowing of peas [except in the greenhouse this year - probably the butterflies do not go there or very little!] , which after much scratching and hacking, I could indisputably attribute to the woodlice-shaped caterpillars of a very common butterfly family called the "Lychaenidae" (it includes butterflies such as the "copper" and the "azures", of very medium size: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azur_estival ; https://gepaauvergne.wordpress.com/2017 ... re-commun/).

Yes, me too, I am delighted with "biodiversity", before paying the price !!!!

On the other hand, I still have difficulties with carrots, and I still have not found an identified "cause" (even if the first seedlings are victims of slugs - but once the "population" has been decimated, I am left with difficulties. . Only late sowing - about a fortnight ago - which I must water then emerge with satisfactory regularity. I just an hour ago, under the first raindrops, to throw seeds where I had harvested the shallots, after removing the hay with a hook. All in 5 minutes ... We'll see! There are late varieties Berlicum, late Colmar, etc ... https://www.fermedesaintemarthe.com/A-1 ... -2-ab.aspx ; https://www.fermedesaintemarthe.com/A-7 ... -2-ab.aspx) that we harvest at home until October / November ...
0 x
torrent sites
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by torrent sites » 15/07/18, 15:36

for carrots, I have a little the same worries, but I put it on the account of my big fingers pudgy and a lack of know-how when the step of recovery of the seeds.

I always had a little trouble getting them up, but once I get started I get pretty good without any watering after lifting
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 15/07/18, 15:48

I have a certain dexterity, which has not changed ... And yet, it is less regular ... Sometimes pretty catastrophic!
0 x
torrent sites
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by torrent sites » 15/07/18, 15:59

you should try to take a sample that is sown in a tray and check the rate of emergence.
if it is, it is a seed problem
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 15/07/18, 21:18

torrent wrote:you should try to take a sample that is sown in a tray and check the rate of emergence.
if it is, it is a seed problem

I will look for a difference in thickness of recovery, if you have too heavy a hand in one place, it will germinate but it will not have enough reserves to lift, if it came from seeds sowing dru that would solve the problem
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
torrent sites
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by torrent sites » 15/07/18, 21:34

I wish it was a problem of seed (I change the mark and presto it is settled), but I think you're right.

has anyone ever tried to sow live on the ground and cover very slightly with hay?
0 x