Phosphorus penury = famine!

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
netshaman
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Phosphorus penury = famine!

by netshaman » 03/05/13, 00:23

This evening on arte there was a program (which I have not yet seen, but which I have recorded) causing a shortage close to phosphorus.
Indeed, it is essential to make fertilizer and therefore to grow wheat etc.
In 2040 there will be no more because of overexploitation.
The consequences will be a world famine because for the moment organic crops are not very numerous.
In addition, farmers strive to scratch the smallest plot to fill their pockets more and more.
Finally, humanity (a large part will die of hunger), because they can no longer feed themselves industrially.
Let's rejoice!
Organic is the future!
But since most of the land will be barren from fertilizers and other pesticides, growing organic on it is impossible!
Or famine, war and near extinction of the human species.
Finally those who will get their pin out of the game will be those who have already nowadays started to cultivate organic without chemicals and with discernment and respect for the living earth and biological cycles.
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 03/05/13, 01:46

It was Hennig Brandt who discovered this element in 1669 (before it was fine.)
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphore

Human faeces are very rich in phosphorus (up to 20% of the "dry matter", depending on the diet, and even 25% nitrogen ...). This would largely cover the needs of agriculture.

Problem, this is not a very exploited "daughter" as it should be, for "cultural" reasons. Another problem: recovering them would require an acceptable "sanitary state" of the population (with in particular as little as possible of chemicals and other antibiotics in the diet, since all this beautiful crap is found where you know) So yes, long live the " bio "to have good (re) usable organic poo : Mrgreen:
0 x
netshaman
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by netshaman » 03/05/13, 14:22

Moreover on this subject there is a guy near my home, a Belgian who has just settled down and who is going to grow organic market gardening without water.
Just by using vegetable waste.

As described here:

http://spaceart.canalblog.com/archives/ ... 99328.html

Or the:

http://www.trianglevert.org/L-agriculture-sans-eau.html

Interesting!
I will go there from time to time to see how it works in real life!
And if it ever seems to work, I will too!

INCULT SOILS QUICKLY RECOVER FERTILITY AND PROSPERITY.

Taken from one of the two previous sites, this statement seems to me to be wrong with regard to the soils of transgenic soybean fields treated in the roundup!
From what I know NOTHING can grow there except amaranth which has become resistant to it thanks to a transfer of genes!
Am I wrong ?
Can we rehabilitate these soils by this method?
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 03/05/13, 17:04

Please note:

a) organic uses phosphorus; natural phosphate fertilizers are fully accepted; So, from this point of view, organic or not organic = same fight

(unlike N nitrogen, where conventional farmers use synthetic nitrogenous fertilizers: ammonitrate, urea ... which are forbidden by "bios").

b) It is possible to enrich a given territory with phosphorus, by "horizontal transfers": you cultivate a green manure in the neighboring field, you bring it back to your plot, you enrich it with all the elements that green manure stung next to it; but that does not enrich the whole "neighboring fields + your plot" !!! You have enriched one to the detriment of the other ...

But in a given area, phosphorus neither is created nor destroyed: therefore recycled green waste, green manure, manure, compost, poop, residues left in the plots [often half of the plants, if only all the roots!] never do more than restore the phosphorus taken before; animal and human excreta and urine do not change anything! They do not create phosphorus, but have borrowed it from the plants that took it from the ground!

So an "archibio" crop, in a given circle, will only maintain the initial rate, at best! As long as we recycle everything in this area: waste, crop residues, pee, poo, manure, bones ...

c) An intense biological activity, the roots, etc., however, make it possible to make available insoluble and unusable P present on site ... This does not increase the total content of the territory, but increases its availability.

Another element that is often problematic in "biological cycles" and in agriculture based solely on recycling is sulfur!

d) So we can locally solve the problem by horizontal transfers. You can have a "more than organic" super-garden by enriching it with a compost made from purchased vegetables, which have taken their P elsewhere! But overall, if "natural" organic farming were generalized, that would not solve anything!

So those who will do well are those who have:

a) today, as long as there is some at an acceptable price, enriches the soil's P content ("organic" or non-organic fertilizer ... manure ... poo ... ground bone ... )

b) tomorrow, manage their available stock by limiting exports, therefore by recycling as much biomass as possible on site

c) tomorrow, maintain the availability of the P by an intense biological activity of the soil [the P can, in certain socnidtions, "regress" and become insoluble or immobilized, in particular by clays]
0 x

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"