Water quality for the garden !!!

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
fabio.gel
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Water quality for the garden !!!

by fabio.gel » 20/11/17, 12:56

Hello

I currently have a vegetable garden at home.

I recover the rainwater from my roof in 7 can of 1000 liters.

While surfing yesterday, I found an article about ANSES:

The Agency therefore recommends that rainwater not be used for washing clothes in the following populations:
people living next to industrial sites and agricultural sites, where rainwater is likely to contain more chemical contaminants.

For information
https://www.anses.fr/fr/content/utilisation-de-l%E2%80%99eau-de-pluie-pour-le-lavage-du-linge-chez-les-particuliers-les

My question: Living next to an 4 lane and not far from industrial site should I not have the water analyzed for my garden.

Vegetable without treatment + polluted water = :frown:

Fabio
0 x
I do my best to not leave trash world to my children ....
Lolounette
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Re: Water quality for the garden !!!

by Lolounette » 20/11/17, 13:17

it is the same rain water that falls directly on your vegetables so the pollutants it contains eventually find themselves on them anyway. You rinse them before eating them so it's not very serious ... : Wink:

after the soil and the plants themselves have remediation capabilities and it is unlikely that the toxic products are found in vegetables. Possible but unlikely ...
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 20/11/17, 14:08

Fabio.gel,

Otherwise you put hay and you no longer water, or almost ... there is a thread not bad on the subject animated by did67!

I think like lolounette, the problem will be the same on vegetables that you can buy in organic, and always better than pesticide watering directly on the plants ....
Your people, in addition to not polluting the soil have a minimal carbon impact, which also reduces general pollution.

And the deposit of pollution on the roof is the same as on the ground next to ...

Olivier.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 20/11/17, 14:11

I would simply add that anything that is harmful to humans, in the sense of ANSES, is not necessarily harmful to vegetables. If you can, the perfect example would be nitrates. But we can also mention sulfur derivatives, pollutant for humans and trace element useful for plants (including cruciferous). S is often a neglected limiting factor ...

After, we can not generalize. Other products harmful to humans can be for vegetables or vegetable garden. Dioxins or, most likely at home: the lead that accumulated during the fifty years after the war when road traffic developed and where lead was used in fuels ... The land near roads very frequented today have sometimes very high levels of lead. Lead, like copper, is a metallic element that does not decompose and that the soil retains very very well (alas).

For copper, this has been demonstrated: a very intense biological activity, and high levels of humic substances make it possible to "neutralize" a little the negative effects of copper. There is a sort of "sequestration" of this element. Maybe also for the Pb ???
0 x
fabio.gel
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by fabio.gel » 20/11/17, 21:13

A big thank you for your answers, so at the level of rain no worries 8) .
Maybe we can analyze the soil (I will ask my organic market gardener, he was in conventional before switching to organic certified, he must surely know the music).

In any case the pumpkins were not embarrassed to push this year (thank you Did I used your method with leaves picked up in the fall because not fucked to find straw by my home)

A little info link http://www.jardinages.com/analyse-terre-mesurer-pollution-sol/

Another interestingly interesting http://fablabo.net/wiki/Analyse_du_sol_%C3%A0_faire_soi_m%C3%AAme
in which I quote:

Methods of depollution

According to the Greenloop study, there are four main types of responses to polluted soil:

Soil biological decontamination by stimulating soil microbial life (effective against organic pollutants, simple protocol here), by accumulating plants of metals (slow process) or by mushrooms (currently in technical development, against organic pollutants in particular ). Other references: Chapter 4 Bio Grow Book of

Karel Schelfhout & Michiel Panhuysen, among others page 129 dedicated to Bokashi. The latter method is sometimes criticized for the movement at great distances of foreign germs.

The use of 500 biodynamic preparations on soils contaminated by radioactivity would allow the rate of radionuclides in the soil to be lowered rapidly. source: oral interview with Simon Nicolon, graduated from the biodynamic center of Obernai.
0 x
I do my best to not leave trash world to my children ....
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 20/11/17, 22:01

fabio.gel wrote:Hello

I currently have a vegetable garden at home.

I recover the rainwater from my roof in 7 can of 1000 liters.

While surfing yesterday, I found an article about ANSES:

The Agency therefore recommends that rainwater not be used for washing clothes in the following populations:
people living next to industrial sites and agricultural sites, where rainwater is likely to contain more chemical contaminants.

For information
https://www.anses.fr/fr/content/utilisation-de-l%E2%80%99eau-de-pluie-pour-le-lavage-du-linge-chez-les-particuliers-les

My question: Living next to an 4 lane and not far from industrial site should I not have the water analyzed for my garden.

Vegetable without treatment + polluted water = :frown:

Fabio

Personally (even if I do not, too complicated in my case), I would not recommend the use of rainwater in domestic use (in the situation where one is connected to a public network of drinking water) that for the toilet flush. More possibly other uses of external washing and of course watering.

For the garden, it is your roof, what it is composed of and its state, which may make the difference with the water falling from the sky.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 20/11/17, 22:47

fabio.gel wrote:
(thank you Did I used your method with leaves picked up in the fall because not fucking to find straw by my home)

No big deal: it's not straw that is necessary (it is at least as unbalanced in nitrogen as dead leaves), but hay!

The mixture of dead leaves and grass clippings is a good substitute for hay!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 20/11/17, 22:48

fabio.gel wrote:
Maybe we can analyze the soil (I will ask my organic market gardener, he was in conventional before switching to organic certified, he must surely know the music).

In an earth analysis, we only find what we are looking for. The "dosages" of particular elements (metal residues for example) are quite possible, but the bill is increasing!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 20/11/17, 22:51

fabio.gel wrote: The use of 500 biodynamic preparations on soils contaminated by radioactivity would allow the rate of radionuclides in the soil to be lowered rapidly. source: oral interview with Simon Nicolon, graduated from the biodynamic center of Obernai.

So there, magic! And why we did not send biodynamists to Chernobyl or Fukushima ?????

[Making radionuclides disappear, you need at least a CERN-type cyclotron, where you can "explode" atoms - a radionuclide is just a naturally unstable atom. For me, that is pure havana smokers' delirium. After that is free to believe who wants what he wants]
1 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 20/11/17, 23:03

Did67 wrote:
fabio.gel wrote: The use of 500 biodynamic preparations on soils contaminated by radioactivity would allow the rate of radionuclides in the soil to be lowered rapidly. source: oral interview with Simon Nicolon, graduated from the biodynamic center of Obernai.

So there, magic! And why we did not send biodynamists to Chernobyl or Fukushima ?????

[Making radionuclides disappear, you need at least a CERN-type cyclotron, where you can "explode" atoms - a radionuclide is just a naturally unstable atom. For me, that is pure havana smokers' delirium. After that is free to believe who wants what he wants]

For me it will be a Havana and an XXO cognac .....
0 x