Using ashes in the kitchen garden

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
brinbrin62
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Using ashes in the kitchen garden

by brinbrin62 » 13/02/18, 17:48

Hello everybody

The land of my little vegetable garden that I have been doing for two years is quite exhausted. It is a useful m² 10 town garden. I have trouble finding vegetable waste (no car) to cover the ground, but hey, I compost everything I can (vegetable dries, a little cardboard).

In a corner of this small garden, there is an old water tank. After removing a heap of rubbish, I realized that it was filled with old ashes (ten years or more). By sieving a sample, I found some coal, nails, and so on. I have a half m3.

Would you use this pile of cinder whose origin I do not know? Can I spread it? Is it too much for my surface? I saw on the net not more than two handles per m². If you used ash (and with what result), thank you in advance for answering.

BB62
1 x
Peace, love and NPK balance in your gardens.
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Using ashes in the kitchen garden

by sicetaitsimple » 13/02/18, 18:06

brinbrin62 wrote:Hello everybody

The land of my little vegetable garden that I have been doing for two years is quite exhausted. It is a useful m² 10 town garden. I have trouble finding vegetable waste (no car) to cover the ground, but hey, I compost everything I can (vegetable dries, a little cardboard).

In a corner of this small garden, there is an old water tank. After removing a heap of rubbish, I realized that it was filled with old ashes (ten years or more). By sieving a sample, I found some coal, nails, and so on. I have a half m3.

Would you use this pile of cinder whose origin I do not know? Can I spread it? Is it too much for my surface? I saw on the net not more than two handles per m². If you used ash (and with what result), thank you in advance for answering.

BB62

Hello and welcome,

we have often spoken of the use of ashes on the main thread "the sloth's vegetable garden".

I use it personally, and I have the impression with very favorable results, but it is not the only factor of influence so it is difficult for me to affirm it.

In your case as you do not know the source (treated wood if there are nails?), It's a little complicated to answer.

In any case it is better to go rather soft than strong, Didier explains it very well in one of his latest videos:

1 x
brinbrin62
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by brinbrin62 » 13/02/18, 18:42

I watched the video of the friend Didier. Thank you for the link.

As Didier advises, I will spread two handfuls per m² where I planted tomatoes and potatoes and get rid of the rest. No need to try the devil.

friendships

BB62
Last edited by brinbrin62 the 13 / 02 / 18, 18: 59, 1 edited once.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 13/02/18, 18:46

the ash contains a lot of potash which is a useful fertilizer ... but not in exes too much at once

if your cistern was receiving water, the problem is that the potash is very soluble ... so all the potash had to be dissolved and there is more

only the other component of the ash remains: the lime, transformed into limestone by the CO2 dissolved in the water ... interest for the more limited garden, except if the soil lacks limestone
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 13/02/18, 18:55

chatelot16 wrote:if your cistern was receiving water, the problem is that the potash is very soluble ... so all the potash had to be dissolved and there is more

Correct, I started in my answer on the fact that this cistern had been converted from a water cistern to a "dump" and no longer received water. If all the content has been "washed" for 10 years, there is indeed not much to hope for good (nor very bad either).
0 x
brinbrin62
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by brinbrin62 » 13/02/18, 19:01

Yes, nothing pushed in, except for ivy and bindweed (but hey, those two would grow anywhere). Real nest box with snails and no other insect. More than suspicious.

Fiinally, I will get rid of everything.

friendships

BB62
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 13/02/18, 23:29

Hello,
A good record here https://www.encyclo-ecolo.com/Cendres_de_bois
If there are many nails, the old inhabitant had to burn a lot of pallet wood https://www.energie-environnement.ch/co ... -le-jardin
0 x
oli 80
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by oli 80 » 17/02/18, 18:20

Hello, I found on the net a passionate northern garden and not Calais here is a subject where I talk about it gardening / a gardener-in-the-nord-pas-de-Calais-t15402.html

here is one of his videos

in voci a more recent

good night
0 x
brinbrin62
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by brinbrin62 » 28/02/18, 14:40

I did not know this youtube channel. Thank you
0 x
Carl
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Carl » 06/03/18, 19:33

The video of Didier is very well done ...!

I pause a question: how much ash intake per year on raspberries, strawberries, etc ....?
0 x
Adept of laziness and sensitive to the quality of what my family consumes, I wish to make a vegetable garden of the lazy!