Seeds of farm prohibited by the UMP !! Ashamed !!

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Christophe

Seeds of farm prohibited by the UMP !! Ashamed !!

by Christophe » 29/11/11, 20:50

Another great gift from the UMP to big industrial groups (seed companies) ... and for the contempt of small farmers ...

http://www.lemonde.fr/planete/article/2 ... _3244.html

Distressing ...

For farmers, sowing his own crop will be banned or taxed

In the field of agriculture, the free and free use of seeds will soon be nothing more than a sweet memory recalling peasant methods from another time. Nicknamed "farm seeds", these seeds were previously selected by farmers from their own crops and replanted the following year.

For several decades, these practices were no longer taken for granted when these seeds were protected by a Plant Variety Certificate (VOC) - namely the property rights of the "breeders" of the species. Resowing these seeds was theoretically prohibited. But this use remained, in fact, widely tolerated in France. It is now strictly regulated by a UMP law bill passed Monday November November by Parliament.

"Of the approximately 5 varieties of plants cultivated in commerce, 000 are protected by a VOC. These represent 1% of the varieties cultivated by farmers," explains Delphine Guey, of the National Interprofessional Seed Group (GNIS). However, about half of the cereals grown have so far been reseeded by farmers, according to the CNDSF (National Coordination for the Defense of Farm Seeds). Almost always illegally, then. But the time for "legal uncertainty" seems over: for the Minister of Agriculture, Bruno Le Maire, these seeds "cannot be free of rights, as they are today".

* What changes

In fact, the law proposal of UMP Senator Christian Demuynck transposes a European regulation of 1994 on the protection of plant varieties, so far not in force in France. Consequence: farm seeds, so far tolerated, are now legalized ... on condition of paying "remuneration to the holders of VOCs" - namely to seed companies -, "so that the funding of research efforts is continued and that genetic resources continue to be improved, ”the law says. Small farmers producing less than 92 tonnes of grain are exempt.

Since 2001, this tax has been applied for a single species: common wheat. Called "compulsory voluntary contribution", it is pocketed by the inter-profession of seed companies. The farmer has to pay 50 cents per tonne of wheat when his crop is delivered. This system should therefore be extended to 21 species, the list of which remains open, assures Xavier Beulin, president of the FNSEA (National Federation of Farmers' Unions), on the union's website.

In short, for Guy Kastler, general delegate of the Semences paysannes network and member of the Confédération paysanne, "for half of the cultivated species - soybeans, fruits, vegetables, etc. - it is forbidden to reuse your own seeds, and for the other half - cereals and fodder plants - you have to pay to reseed. "

* Towards privatization of seeds?

Several environmental and peasant associations fear an increased control of the seed sector on access to seeds, via an extended property right to crops and the seeds that result from them. With the tax, "even farmers who do without commercial seeds have to pay for these seeds", deplores Guy Kastler. The activist fears that the share of farm seeds will shrink, as they become more expensive and therefore less interesting for the farmer. Between this tax and the ban on reseeding his own seeds, the farmer is increasingly encouraged, no longer to produce, but to buy his seeds. Hence the fear of increased dependence on seed companies.

But from Xavier Beulin's point of view, everyone's contribution to research on cultivated species is justified, insofar as even farm seeds generally come from it. Drawing a parallel with the Hadopi law aimed at "protecting the creators" of films and music, the president of the FNSEA considers that it is "normal that [those who use farm seeds] also participate in the financing of the creation of varieties, since they benefit from it ". Opposed to this argument, the Rural Coordination union notes on its site that Xavier Beulin is not only at the head of the first agricultural union. He also heads the Sofiprotéol group, "which owns stakes in several large French seed groups (Euralis Semences, Limagrain, etc.)".

* Towards a loss of biodiversity?

Another fear: the impact of this measure on agricultural diversity. Of course, reseeding the same variety - almost always the result of research - does not, a priori, increase biodiversity. Especially since "for field crops, no variety used is the result of ancestral conservation; all have been developed thanks to the creation of varieties", underlines Xavier Beulin.

However, reseeding your harvest can lead to variations in the species, and therefore promote this biodiversity, nuance Guy Kastler. "New traits appear, allowing the plant to be better adapted to the soil, climate and local conditions. It is then possible to reduce fertilizers and pesticides. Conversely, seed companies adapt plants to fertilizers and pesticides, which are the same everywhere. " Rather, they tend to create uniformity in plants, wherever they are grown.

* Towards the patent regime?

VOC is, in France, an alternative to the patent on living, in force in the United States for example. This intellectual property right is held by companies that have obtained, through research, cultivated species, and thus enjoy the monopoly of the sale of seeds of this species before it falls into the public domain - as it is the case of about 450 of them in France. Some, like Guy Kastler, fear a shift to this patent regime, limiting the right of farmers to freely use protected seeds.

However, unlike the VOC, the patent completely prohibits farmers from reseeding their harvest, compensation or not, notes Delphine Guey. This is the case of GMO varieties from the American firm Monsanto which, according to Marie-Monique Robin in the documentary Le Monde according to Monsanto, even created a sort of "seed police" specializing in tracking down farmers who illegally sow or trade seeds. seeds they collect.

Another difference with the patent is that VOCs allow breeders to freely use a protected variety to use their genetic resources and to select new ones. Thus, working on a gene of a species does not allow to patent and therefore to fully appropriate. A distinction which, according to Delphine Guey, has made it possible to preserve a diversity of French seed companies. And therefore to give farmers a wider choice of species at their disposal. However, if the patent of living species is not used in France, the patenting of plant genes is there, more and more practiced.

Angela Bolis
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 29/11/11, 21:29

Damn it! I thought, to read many, that there was only finance and banksters to sow (sic) the bazaar!

If the "real" economy sticks to it, where are we going, my good lady !? :frown:
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 29/11/11, 22:22

In particular, farm seeds have a big drawback: they favor "black".

Very bad, that : Mrgreen:
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/11/11, 22:32

Stop your tank ... the shortfall of these seeds "untaxed pirates" for the State (VAT, corporation tax ...) represent no more than a few million € grand max on the scale of France .. . (and again, I see wide ...) on the other hand in profits it is probably a juicy windfall for the few seed companies on the market!

Short; There are 1000 times more financial resources to find in the taxation of financial transactions and banks than small farmers ... frankly ...

But we know for whom politics have been rolling for a long time ...

Here it is kokopelli who will be furax again I think ...
0 x
antoinet111
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by antoinet111 » 29/11/11, 22:42

Without language of wood, being in the seed and varietal creation, also as a leftist of faith;
I am convinced that this is good news, it is the first time that I agree with a law of the UMP.

I have been doing varietal breeding for years and controlling the production and health status of plants.

around me, that theft, fraud, detours, tricks, and black market ...

take advantage of the work of breeders (often more than 15 years to create a variety) without a profile for them, without return or retribution, even hand in the bag and on hectares it is extremely hard to trap them.

for 8 years, I have been helping an elder who knew blood and water to create varieties of interest, resistant, requiring less phytos, usable in organic, for various markets, Africa, southern and eastern Europe, and after having worked all his life on it after his grandfather bequeathed him the work of a lifetime, at 62 he doesn't earn anything, he's one of the most "bored" people financially that I know ... sad to see a genius that bleed for nothing.

also, stop confusing seed and breeders.

Thank you
0 x
I vote for the writing of concrete post and practicality.
Down the talkers and ceiling fans!
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 29/11/11, 22:53

Christopher said:

Stop your tank ... the shortfall of these seeds "untaxed pirates" for the State (VAT, corporation tax ...) represent no more than a few million €

Ah, but reassure yourself! I have not even started yet! You should know that I practice humor to the second degree, since 6 years we know each other.

I just wanted to stigmatize this damn mentality of the state to control everything, in short, to make us new slaves of capital, although I respect the opinion and the work of antoinet111.
The problem is that it is with certain "goods" as with certain ideas: once you have launched them, you cannot stop them.

I am rather anarchist.

But I think it's the community that needs to reward the "artist" (extended meaning) to, rather than the user. It avoids easy sorting by success and allows talent to flourish through talent, rather than money.

Oops, we leave the subject, I believe : Oops:
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
antoinet111
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by antoinet111 » 29/11/11, 22:56

Thank you for supporting me, I dreaded the red balls.

moreover, I quite agree with the remuneration of the artist rather than that of the "manager"
0 x

Christophe

by Christophe » 29/11/11, 22:57

Thank you for your testimony "from the inside" ... breeder this was the first time I read this term! :| : Cheesy:

How much do you estimate the amount of fraud across the country?

So according to you it would 100% of seeds terminator to make the research profitable?

Why not think about long-term leasing offers? A farmer cultivates your "improved" seed as long as he harvests, he pays a royalty per tonne sold and not for the number of seeds sown ... A very low trick but which would make it possible to finance research at INRA (or elsewhere)

Exactly as 0.0000X% on all petrol fuel liters go to IFP !!

And in this case there would be no fraud possible ... since on the basis of invoices! But to tax the recycled seeds internally seems complicated to me ... difficult control and fraud always possible ...
0 x
antoinet111
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by antoinet111 » 29/11/11, 23:11

Christophe wrote:Thank you for your testimony "from the inside" ... breeder this was the first time I read this term! :| : Cheesy:

How much do you estimate the amount of fraud across the country?

it is unfortunately difficult to quantify, but according to the modes of reproduction of the plants you could advance, say that vegetative reproduction plants (type potato) as well as the plants which multiplies by self-fertilization (wheat), you will have always the possibility to reproduce as you wish, without control and without much modification of the genetic inheritance thus what you harvest, you sow it and harvest the same plant as the previous year, that is why it is difficult to estimate the fraud, if I rely on my daily life in agri, I would say 80% defraud on 10% of their area planted by this type of plant.

Christophe wrote:So according to you it would 100% of seeds terminator to make the research profitable?

Terminator seeds are a commercial trick, you naturally achieve the same effect with a hybrid plant in a completely natural way.
so yes, have a plant that you can harvest but when you resent the product is not the same then, you limit fraud and increases the reward of creators.

Christophe wrote:Why not think about long-term leasing offers? A farmer cultivates your "improved" seed as long as he harvests, he pays a royalty per tonne sold and not for the number of seeds sown ... A very low trick but which would make it possible to finance research at INRA (or elsewhere)

Farmers do not want to pay, they have, for the most part, nothing to do with the varietal creation, so it's not necessarily the right solution.

Christophe wrote:Exactly as 0.0000X% on all petrol fuel liters go to IFP !!

And in this case there would be no fraud possible ... since on the basis of invoices! But to tax the recycled seeds internally seems complicated to me ... difficult control and fraud always possible ..

It is not the seed companies that pose problems of fraud towards the creators, but the farmers and the seeds of farms ...
0 x

antoinet111
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by antoinet111 » 29/11/11, 23:18

Elephant, I would not be bad anar too, but the concern in agriculture is that you will be told that an anar never fed his contemporaries.
0 x