Biodiversity, the giant seeds freezer of the far North

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Christophe

Biodiversity, the giant seeds freezer of the far North

by Christophe » 03/06/08, 19:22

Svalbard International Seed Vault (SISV, International Deposit for Seeds at Svalbard), a freezer bunker to save global biodiversity.

As well protected as the American gold reserves, hundreds of thousands of seeds have been sheltered on an isolated island in the Arctic Circle. They represent samples of all the food crops on the planet and can be used to restart agricultural production in the event of a regional or global disaster.

Wheat, sorghum, salad, millet and many more !! A total of 100 million seeds from 100 different countries were deposited in a real safe located in the Norwegian archipelago of Svalbard, 1000 km from the North Pole. Once wrapped in sheets specially created for this purpose and themselves enclosed in sealed boxes, the seeds will keep their germination capacity for hundreds of years. Some seeds can survive even more (provided they are kept in optimal conditions) barley for example holds 2000 years but the record is held by sorghum whose seed remains viable for almost 20 years.

The seeds are stored in three barricaded rooms placed at the end of a 125-meter tunnel dug in the mountains. The temperature is constant but a bit cool: -18 ° c. To maintain it, a single small compressor is sufficient, each box is also surrounded by permafrost (polar ice), which guarantees the viability of the seeds in the event of a power failure. On the security side, the measures are also drastic: steel doors, air locks, coded keys, motion detectors ... enough to compete with the biggest banks!

This safe, inaugurated on Tuesday 26 February, is intended to preserve the biodiversity of food crops which is currently experiencing a significant decrease. Half of the plants deposited are threatened. This green reserve constitutes a safeguard against the disappearance of the least exploited varieties. It will also be of great use in the event of a natural disaster and the destruction of agricultural resources. The countries that donated the seeds remain their owners and can recover and use them to restart food production. Other arrivals of seeds are expected, particularly from developing countries. In all, the structure's storage capacity is 4.5 million samples, or around 2 billion seeds !!!

Source: NOUVELOBS.COM | 27.02.2008/10/55 | XNUMX:XNUMX
Photo credit: AFP

A more complete article on the question: http://www.azurelite.net/imaginaire/ind ... &numero=49
Last edited by Christophe the 03 / 06 / 08, 22: 05, 1 edited once.
0 x
georges100
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by georges100 » 03/06/08, 19:28

you see that there is nothing to fear with GMOs : Cheesy:
if it fails we have something to start in the fridge : Cheesy: so why take precautions ????? : Cheesy:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 03/06/08, 19:33

Certainly ... but will have to shave everything before : roll:

Otherwise pkoi it is also secure when it is lost 1000km from the North Pole? Must not be crowds of robbers ...
0 x
georges100
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by georges100 » 03/06/08, 19:43

I laugh but the problem was raised ....
some speak of good conscience to do anything ...

the fact that there is only one is dangerous when even ... if one day we really need the owner will manage the world ..
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 03/06/08, 21:32

Chr ......., if you talked about this protected treasure, is it not for nothing?
Myself I thought about it after the video that you linked, on the passage of planet X (Nibiru) and the following video 2/2, and the sisters…

In the event of a planetary catastrophe following a collision, and the terrestrial washing machine which would follow for a few years, this "cultural heritage" would be, by chance, welcome, to rebuild the earth!
(But more for our mouth).
Only for the elites and our favorite leaders who will be able to procreate, during a long wedding night under the Albion plateau, in Norway, in Nevada, or elsewhere,

to repopulate the earth, of a flawless race and in their image, exemplary.

In 400 years, archaeologists of the new civilization will find some washed-out pre-hominian skeletons, and will conclude that modern civilization started with a leap, following the invention of agriculture which became widespread, one hit on this earth.
In fact in 10 to 20 years…

To meditate…
Last edited by gegyx the 03 / 06 / 08, 21: 54, 1 edited once.
0 x
georges100
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by georges100 » 03/06/08, 21:41

m .... remember the title of reggiani's song : Cheesy:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 03/06/08, 21:44

Do not make short cuts and too quick speculations about me Gegyx ... please, thank you.

In the case of a parcisionision with another planet (hum hum ...) this kind of bunker would not be of much use ...
Last edited by Christophe the 03 / 06 / 08, 21: 58, 1 edited once.
0 x
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 03/06/08, 21:58

It seems to me to have read or heard that Monsanto was at the initiative of this stock.
Could someone confirm?
Because if it's true, it explains a lot of things :frown:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 03/06/08, 21:59

Punaize if this is the case it explains at least the armored doors ... and it becomes very worrying for the rest ...
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 04/06/08, 00:26

bham wrote:It seems to me to have read or heard that Monsanto was at the initiative of this stock.
Could someone confirm?
Because if it's true, it explains a lot of things :frown:

I also read or heard something like this and it seems to me that there were several multinational seed companies that had funded this ... : Evil:

For me, it seems obvious to me, they locked up bio diversity ... : Evil:

You don't entrust your treasure to uncle picsou if you want to see it again ...
0 x

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"